Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Contradictions in the bible

• Please log in to reply
591 replies to this topic

#106    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 16 October 2012 - 01:41 AM, said:

It's good to see that nothing's changed around here.

And it's good to see you back................... WELCOME BACK PA ..Hope your journey served you well.... Glad to hear you are busy

And now I am off to watch  Dr House.( Hugh Laurie cracks me up ) ..Kids are tucked in,  cats are turfed outside... peace and quiet... you couldn't beat it with a big stick.. :D

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 16 October 2012 - 10:34 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#107    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,777 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 16 October 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

Can someone help me out here?  What exactly IS the point of the Bible?
The Bible is about many things, but ultimately I would say it is about the glory of God - how God is glorified through its creation, and how we can glorify God through our actions.  Underlying this is the theme of sin and redemption, how mankind has consistently dismissed God and how God has remained faithful throughout.

The Bible is about far more than this, of course, but I would start here as an overriding theme of the text/s.

Its so full of contradictory statements
And that would be your opinion; an opinion I happen to disagree with.

Why didn't someone a long time ago go through the book and at least fix the contradictions?   Did they not realize how ridiculous it makes the whole thing look?
And if someone did, the sceptics would be complaining that the Bible has been edited.  As it is, some zealous scribes have endeavoured to add or take away from the text in the past.  Luckily for us today, we have enough ancient texts available that we can tell with a fair degree of certainty what was actually written in the original of the text, which is good for us I guess.

~ Regards,

Edited by Paranoid Android, 16 October 2012 - 10:42 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#108    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,777 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 16 October 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

And it's good to see you back................... WELCOME BACK PA ..Hope your journey served you well.... Glad to hear you are busy

And now I am off to watch  Dr House.( Hugh Laurie cracks me up ) ..Kids are tucked in,  cats are turfed outside... peace and quiet... you couldn't beat it with a big stick.. :D
Unfortunately, I'm not back.  Not for good, at least.  I'm just passing through for a few days.  I might get back around Christmas time as well, but then I'll be gone again and be away for at least a few more months :(  Ah well, it's good to get back for at least a bit of a chat around the place :D

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#109    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 16 October 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I'm not back.  Not for good, at least.  I'm just passing through for a few days.  I might get back around Christmas time as well, but then I'll be gone again and be away for at least a few more months :(  Ah well, it's good to get back for at least a bit of a chat around the place :D

Main thing is you are doing good..    I am glad you are busy..   Just popping in now and again is better than nothing...Hope you are doing well..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#110    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,940 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

View PostViviana98, on 16 October 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

Thank you Sherapy!!! I don't know why anyone would want to make this story "okay" or rationalize it in there minds. I'm glad someone gets it.

I share in your perspective; I personally have boundaries, of course not everything has to be about the rules, but for me I am clear on mine and once they are in place they are there to stay. I do not align, avoid, or exempt myself from  the 'do no harm guiding principle' by spinning it to be insignificant. Some things are just not okay and they are in the bible. It is what it is.Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

#111    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 16 October 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

The Bible is about many things, but ultimately I would say it is about the glory of God - how God is glorified through its creation, and how we can glorify God through our actions.  Underlying this is the theme of sin and redemption, how mankind has consistently dismissed God and how God has remained faithful throughout.

The Bible is about far more than this, of course, but I would start here as an overriding theme of the text/s.

And that would be your opinion; an opinion I happen to disagree with.

And if someone did, the sceptics would be complaining that the Bible has been edited.  As it is, some zealous scribes have endeavoured to add or take away from the text in the past.  Luckily for us today, we have enough ancient texts available that we can tell with a fair degree of certainty what was actually written in the original of the text, which is good for us I guess.

~ Regards,

I actually totally get what you are saying, PA.  Please let me offer a statement saying that I have no desire to try and convert anyone away from their beliefs.  I am very much a person that feels strongly that if a mindset, or religion, or faith, or whatever does genuine good for the person in their life and doesn't harm others in the process then its a good thing.  I don't wish to take away that which comforts so many.

Faith in general is something that I have struggled with for a very long time.  I think it has mostly to do with my personality.  I am a very empirical person and will generally seek objective verification of the things I feel are truth.  I realize that this is the very opposite of faith.

I can and do hold a certain personal belief in God or some benevolent power.  I have made it that far.  The bible however has nothing whatsoever to do with that, at least for me.  The Bible, in my own humble opinion is a collection of eyewitness accounts made by humans who were just as imperfect as I am, had biases, fears, hopes, and dreams which filter every word.  I feel that if there was any sort of divine inspiration for the text of the bible, then it is far overshadowed by the incredibly flawed human nature of its authorship.

I can't trust most of the humans I know these days, how on Earth am I supposed to trust the word of a bunch of Iron Age goatherders, pundits, politicians, and revolutionaries just because the book says its God's word?  They were just as effed up then as we are now.

It just won't work for me.  I have read the whole bible, I've noted where its strong (because it is in some places) and where its quite weak.  I'm not here to take away from anyone else's experience of it - like I said before if its a positive in your life then that should be good enough for anyone.

#112    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 17 October 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

I actually totally get what you are saying, PA.  Please let me offer a statement saying that I have no desire to try and convert anyone away from their beliefs.  I am very much a person that feels strongly that if a mindset, or religion, or faith, or whatever does genuine good for the person in their life and doesn't harm others in the process then its a good thing.  I don't wish to take away that which comforts so many.

Faith in general is something that I have struggled with for a very long time.  I think it has mostly to do with my personality.  I am a very empirical person and will generally seek objective verification of the things I feel are truth.  I realize that this is the very opposite of faith.

I can and do hold a certain personal belief in God or some benevolent power.  I have made it that far.  The bible however has nothing whatsoever to do with that, at least for me.  The Bible, in my own humble opinion is a collection of eyewitness accounts made by humans who were just as imperfect as I am, had biases, fears, hopes, and dreams which filter every word.  I feel that if there was any sort of divine inspiration for the text of the bible, then it is far overshadowed by the incredibly flawed human nature of its authorship.

I can't trust most of the humans I know these days, how on Earth am I supposed to trust the word of a bunch of Iron Age goatherders, pundits, politicians, and revolutionaries just because the book says its God's word?  They were just as effed up then as we are now.

It just won't work for me.  I have read the whole bible, I've noted where its strong (because it is in some places) and where its quite weak.  I'm not here to take away from anyone else's experience of it - like I said before if its a positive in your life then that should be good enough for anyone.

Very nicely put!

#113    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostIamsSon, on 16 October 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Actually, in the culture of that time/location they were his guests because he welcomed them into his house, and it mattered not one whit whether they were family, friends, or strangers. If you study the Middle Eastern cultures, even today disrespecting or endangering a guest is an incredibly shameful dishonorable thing.  I'm sorry you do not understand these cultural differences.

As to why God chose to destroy the people of Sodom and Gomorrah and not Lot and his family, if you read the story, the answer is there.
ah huh .. carefull there .. we may treat guests very very well
but a girl " daughter or wife " is considered the " honor " of a family in middle eastern culture
so to say if some one harassed some one's sister , wife , mother in street .. you can go on hurting them really bad
without actually having trouble with the law .. coz it was based on our culture that women are considered honor of family
to suggest that a middle eastern would give his own honor .. to protect strangers is ridiculus .. they may give their life before they give that

Edited by Knight Of Shadows, 17 October 2012 - 12:45 AM.

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#114    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

The men who wrote the Bible did not have have the appreciation of continuity that we modern people have. When people read these stories, they didn't bat an eye at factual inconsistencies that make modern people wonder if there is any truth to them.

So many examples, but Exodus has several. God unloads a plague which kills all the animals owned by Egyptians. So at this point the ruling Egyptians have no cattle and no horses. The Bible is clear that they're all dead.

God then unleashes several more disasters on the Egyptians which He later admits to doing this just to show what a badass he is (He says He messed with the Pharaoh's good judgement so he wouldn't do the smart thing and let the Jews go immediately).

Moses and Aaron later warn the Pharaoh that God will be unleashing a huge storm so he should warn everyone to bring in their livestock. Those who were left in the fields were killed. But the Egyptians shouldn't have had any. They were killed in the plague, right?

Then when the Jews make their famous escape through the Red Sea and God drowns the Egyptians, the Bible clearly says that their horses were also drowned. But their horses had been killed in the plague so they shouldn't have had any.

And why did Zipporah's father's name suddenly change from Reuel to Jethro in just one chapter? Later on his name changes to Hobab. I'm pretty sure it's the same guy.

#115    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

View Postscowl, on 17 October 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

The men who wrote the Bible did not have have the appreciation of continuity that we modern people have. When people read these stories, they didn't bat an eye at factual inconsistencies that make modern people wonder if there is any truth to them.

So many examples, but Exodus has several. God unloads a plague which kills all the animals owned by Egyptians. So at this point the ruling Egyptians have no cattle and no horses. The Bible is clear that they're all dead.

God then unleashes several more disasters on the Egyptians which He later admits to doing this just to show what a badass he is (He says He messed with the Pharaoh's good judgement so he wouldn't do the smart thing and let the Jews go immediately).

Moses and Aaron later warn the Pharaoh that God will be unleashing a huge storm so he should warn everyone to bring in their livestock. Those who were left in the fields were killed. But the Egyptians shouldn't have had any. They were killed in the plague, right?

Then when the Jews make their famous escape through the Red Sea and God drowns the Egyptians, the Bible clearly says that their horses were also drowned. But their horses had been killed in the plague so they shouldn't have had any.

And why did Zipporah's father's name suddenly change from Reuel to Jethro in just one chapter? Later on his name changes to Hobab. I'm pretty sure it's the same guy.

You know, Hobab is a pretty awesome name.  I might start going by that.

#116    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,151 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postscowl, on 17 October 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

Lmao!

I know the religious are tired of hearing about me saying how much of a narcissist "god" is, but I think this is funny, using jewish gematria, 603, some of the things you get:

http://www.gematrix.org/?word=603

Narcissus
Look at me I'm mr badass

http://upload.wikime...avaggio_065.jpg

Edited by HavocWing, 17 October 2012 - 08:42 PM.

#117    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 17 October 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

You know, Hobab is a pretty awesome name.  I might start going by that.

Interesting that Jethro was the only name that passed into Christian use. I think Reuel is exclusively a Jewish name unless there's a variation of it.

#118    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 17 October 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Lmao!

I know the religious are tired of hearing about me saying how much of a narcissist "god" is, but I think this is funny, using jewish gematria, 603, some of the things you get:

http://www.gematrix.org/?word=603

Narcissus
Look at me I'm mr badass

http://upload.wikime...avaggio_065.jpg

God makes it crystal clear that he doesn't want the Pharaoh to back down right after the first plague which any sane leader would have done, so God "hardens his [the Pharaoh's] heart" so he will choose to have God unleash disaster after unspeakable disaster on Egypt. When the Jews finally escape, the world will know they have a powerful ruthless god backing them. Even then God wants to show off one more time so he messes with the Pharaoh's head one last time to have his army die in the Red Sea.

This sounds like a teenage boy who want to show off some tricks he learned. God found out He could cause plagues, generate tremendous storms, create waves of locusts and flies and frogs, create horrible skin diseases and even part a sea and He just doesn't want those gnarly powers to go unseen. I can't find any other interpretation of it. It's funny that the Bible has God responsible for the Pharaoh's poor decision-making even though the Bible is full of bad leaders making even worse decisions.

#119    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,151 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

View Postscowl, on 17 October 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

God makes it crystal clear that he doesn't want the Pharaoh to back down right after the first plague which any sane leader would have done, so God "hardens his [the Pharaoh's] heart" so he will choose to have God unleash disaster after unspeakable disaster on Egypt. When the Jews finally escape, the world will know they have a powerful ruthless god backing them. Even then God wants to show off one more time so he messes with the Pharaoh's head one last time to have his army die in the Red Sea.

This sounds like a teenage boy who want to show off some tricks he learned. God found out He could cause plagues, generate tremendous storms, create waves of locusts and flies and frogs, create horrible skin diseases and even part a sea and He just doesn't want those gnarly powers to go unseen. I can't find any other interpretation of it. It's funny that the Bible has God responsible for the Pharaoh's poor decision-making even though the Bible is full of bad leaders making even worse decisions.

I've always thought the same thing, you aren't the only one.

#120    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 October 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Well said and then. I couldnt agree more. People dont come to threads like this to learn anything. They come to spread pre conceived notions that are extremly uninformed. I also support peoples right to believe what ever they want. Its just sad to see people so willing to spread misinformation sitting on the shoulders of smarter people then themselfs, and thinking they understand what they are talking about.

Hey preacherman. The bible was a scattered collection of little stories people told in the ancient world, so when the council of Nicaea tried to compile them all into one text, a lot of editing had to happen to make it all mesh.  I can see little problems, inconsistencies and contradictions arising from that.  All this assumes the text is not God-inspired and recognizes human error in the process (including translation errors).  For me personally, the biggest contradictions in the religion are at a meta-level:
Day 1 create Earth - Day 4 create the sun (light)
Knows the future, but gets angry when stuff happens
Gives man free will, but sends him to hell if he doesn't do exactly as he's told
Says he loves unconditionally, but states conditions and sends you to hell if you break them
All knowing and omnipresent, but Adam and Eve successfully sneak around to the apple tree, then are tricked by a talking snake to God's surprise
Humans work together to build impressive tower, then God destroys it and punishes humans for millenia
Creates man in his image, but man is full of defects
God is perfection, but he gets angry, commits harsh acts he later regrets, bans things then takes it back, makes decisions but humans talking to him change his mind.
God, Jesus, Holy Ghost, Mary, Michael, large host of angels - the most polytheistic religion ever made (using a non-Christian definition of deity)
God creates holy text, but it's full of human error.

This god answers no fundamental questions about life.  It just replaces old questions with new ones.  It goes from: "Why are we here?", "I don't know", to:  Why are we here? "Because God is testing you"  Why?  "I don't know"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users