Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Alien Ancestory

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 10:25 PM

My bet is that the physics that we are currently calling theoretical and top stuff, is actually down nearer the bottom of the ladder, or at least somewhere near the lower middle, and that we have a lot more to learn.                                                      

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#17    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 26 June 2003 - 11:32 PM

That may be true when applied generally to physics and our knowledge of its principles, Al, but there are highly specialized disciplines within the science that require an adherance to a certain set of rules and/or conditions, no matter what the circumstance. Just coincidently, an astrophysicist has written a two part article for Astrobiology magazine that addresses the issue of intelligent life in the universe. Its simply written so that any lay person can understand the crux of his ideas, but it contains enough information to give you an idea of what is needed for intelligent life to form elsewhere.

Link to article

There are other links at the bottom of the page that you can click on if you want to read further information on the subject.

Magikman  cool.gif                                                      

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#18    Expendable

Expendable

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 04:02 AM

Here's something to chew on. (From thekeyboard.org.uk)
Just doing a little paraphrasing here:

-100 Billion Galaxies in our universe that are visible to a modern telescope, 100 billion being a conservative number.

-100's of Billions stars in the average galaxy

-Total number of stars in the universe: 100 billion x 100 billion.

That's 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, 10 thousand, billion, billion; conservative estimate

-1 in a million stars that have a planetary system, with one planet for each star. Conservative estimate.

-Assuming Earth-like planets are rare, give this another conservative number of 1 in a million

So that puts it at 10 Billion earth-like planets, capable of producing life. 10 Billion being conservative.

#19    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (Expendable @ Jul 12 2003, 12:02 AM)
-100 Billion Galaxies in our Solar System that are visible to a modern telescope, 100 billion being a conservative number.

Is this a typo Expendable?

There isn't one single galaxy in our solar system original.gif  

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#20    Expendable

Expendable

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 04:24 AM

Lol, yes, I meant to write universe. :b

#21    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:49 PM

Great article MM, thanks.

never take me too seriously

#22    AndyThorley

AndyThorley

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

• You're only insane when you think you arent...

Posted 22 July 2003 - 10:11 AM

There was a formula drawn up to work out just how likely it is to meet a foreign race...Ill dig it up and get it back to you...

Posted Image

#23    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:14 PM

Hmm, I bet life is the natural standard in the universe, we just don't see it because it takes a different form.

Nothing to see here.

#24    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:55 PM

I dunno SP, i think we would be able to recognise alien life if we came across it - think of the diversity we already take for granted - Humankind to amoeba, Zebra to wasp, Shark to Oak.

#25    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 31 July 2003 - 12:32 AM

I see your point, PS, but alien life could be so different from what we understand we'd have no idea waht it was.

Nothing to see here.

#26    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 12:50 AM

Thats a possibilty, sure but i think what might shock us is that alien lifeforms (intelligent or otherwise) maybe a whole lot more similiar to earth's than we'd expect

#27    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 31 July 2003 - 12:53 AM

That's entirely possible, PS, we may even be talking about humans being the dominant design for intelligent life.  After all, it's possible that evolution on other planets took the same course it did here.  It's all theoretical at this point.

Nothing to see here.

#28    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• We should respect a person not because who they are, but what they do with their life, is the way they earn our respect.

Posted 21 December 2003 - 02:18 AM

Maybe aliens came from Jack Rabbits?

Happy Holidays original.gif

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users