Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange object my wife found

BiffSplitkins

Hey everyone. My wife has been working on cleaning out our attic little by little and recently she found this in there.

It is a very small green lens in a leather pouch. The key is for size reference.

I would say the lens is about 1 1/2" in diameter.

Does anyone have any clue what this might be used for?

post-59968-0-17790300-1359168240_thumb.j

Hey everyone. My wife has been working on cleaning out our attic little by little and recently she found this in there.

It is a very small green lens in a leather pouch. The key is for size reference.

Now that IS interesting. Cool find. I wish I had a clue. I'll do some searching and see what I can come up with.

• Like 1

looks like a filter lens of some sort, for a telescope maybe?

• Like 1

I think it may be a lens for a Steam-punk Monocle. Here is what I found, maybe you can look more.

1_3-lens-monocle_2_zps2fec3c03.jpg

I think it may be a lens for a Steam-punk Monocle. Here is what I found, maybe you can look more.

One of our friends thought the same thing, but the rim of the lens is much thinner on the one my wife found. It has little notches on the sides too, almost like it 'screws' onto something with a quarter twist.

At first I was thinking some kind of color filter for a Super8 but I'm not so sure.

looks like a filter lens of some sort, for a telescope maybe?

My first thought as well. I have a collection of filters for my telescope, though they have threads to be screwed onto the eyepiece. The threads are on the outside of the edge, and the threads for the eyepieces are on the inside. At least for mine.

I believe mine are 1 1/4" diameter.

The colors I have are; Red, Orange, Deep Yellow, Green, and Blue.

They are normally used for B&W photography for enhancing features or filtering out glares and irradiation.

If not for a telescope, could be for a camera of some sort. Was there any serial# or such, I see the number 30 on it.

• Like 2

If not for a telescope, could be for a camera of some sort. Was there any serial# or such, I see the number 30 on it.

No serial number on it. Just the number 30. I'm wondering if maybe it's some sort of rifle scope filter? I don't know, I'm not a hunter. Do they use those on gun scopes?

Can you get a picture of the other side? Do the notches look like what is on this? The case looks similar as well.

This is a Rollei Bay III R5 color correction filter made in Germany.

The best bet is that it is a filter for a camera of sorts. Never know, there may be chance it is of some value.

post-133358-0-62714200-1359171254_thumb.

Can you get a picture of the other side? Do the notches look like what is on this? The case looks similar as well.

This is a Rollei Bay III R5 color correction filter made in Germany.

The best bet is that it is a filter for a camera of sorts. Never know, there may be chance it is of some value.

I think you may be onto something here. I will go grab it and snap another photo.

Here is 3 more photos using macro zoom. Those are normal size piano keys.

IMG_0003_zpse1f503ad.jpg

IMG_0002_zps1182ae17.jpg

IMG_0001_zps604a7c29.jpg

Well the notches are not the same, but they do look like they are meant to twist and lock or tighten into place on something else.

Unfortunately without any other writings to tell the manufacturer or such, I am not sure how to tell what it is exactly, without taking to someone who is more knowledgeable.

My thought is still it being a camera filter lens.

• Like 1

I think this this a 30mm lunar filter for a telescope..

Measure it's diameter.. If it's around about 30-33mm then it probably is.

• Like 1

It's not a 'camera filter', it's an old stationary darkroom filter, for making prints (i.e. color correction - if it was too magenta, you'd filter it with a strong green filter). Trust me, I used to do this for a living before digital came out. :)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

It definitely looks like a camera filter to me - green is a very useful filter when shooting black and white. Older cameras (like TLR's and as you said movie cameras) often had relatively small lens filter fittings of around 30mm diameter, with proprietary fittings so you had to buy that camera's accessories.. They also frequently came in a leather pouch as per the Rollei example given - I would have thought that was more likely an indication of some degree of portability - I think camera is most likely, telescope second, enlarger third.

A museum or elderly camera store owner might be your best shot to help identify it, or maybe browse some antique camera forums..

• Like 3

Because of the green tint, it looks more like a moon filter for a telescope.. We have one very like it..almost identical

Because of the green tint, it looks more like a moon filter for a telescope.. We have one very like it..almost identical

Can you take a picture of it? I have been searching and searching and it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

At first I thought telescope for looking at the sun but my sun filters are much darker than that. Maybe for the moon because it can be very bright especially with a larger telescope and if you have light sensitive eyes you might use one. It could also be for a old camera or binoculars.