Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

For or against gay marriage? (UM only Poll)

Timothy

For or against gay marriage?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for gay marriage?

• No
    • Yes

Hi guys,

Private poll on for or against gay marriage. (As I'm starting it, I'll let you know that I'm for it)

Feel free to make your arguments or keep to yourself, just please keep it as clean and liberal possible.

Tim.

The only reservation I have is when it comes to religious ceremonies. I don't think religious institutions should be forced to perform any marriages that violate their religious beliefs. Other than that, it seems fine to me.

I agree that those devoted to a faith shouldn't be forced. Their faith has been socially/legally accepted for a long time and you can't just turn that on it's head.

• Like 1

I'm uncomfortable with the argument "I'm pro gay-marriage", because it immediately seems to discriminate against gays as being 'outsiders' in society. I am pro-marriage equality in that, so long as the celebrants are both consenting adults making an informed commitment and there are no legal impediments, then any couple should be allowed to marry.

If you were to change your voting options to "marriage equality" and "marriage inequality", I feel that would better reflect what this debate is actually about.

• Like 3

The only reservation I have is when it comes to religious ceremonies. I don't think religious institutions should be forced to perform any marriages that violate their religious beliefs. Other than that, it seems fine to me.

The government can't force religions to do that because religious marriage is not a lawful marriage

Edit: it feels like this topic is taking over UM.

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 2

Can you put in a "I Couldn't Give a Monkey's One Way Or The Other, Just Stop Keep Going On About It" box?

• Like 6

I'm uncomfortable with the argument "I'm pro gay-marriage", because it immediately seems to discriminate against gays as being 'outsiders' in society. I am pro-marriage equality in that, so long as the celebrants are both consenting adults making an informed commitment and there are no legal impediments, then any couple should be allowed to marry.

If you were to change your voting options to "marriage equality" and "marriage inequality", I feel that would better reflect what this debate is actually about.

I guess I've not seen a politically correct reason to change, all my friends identified as 'gay', they'd be happy with it.

I don't want to get too politically technical :)

My problem with marriage is that it is tied up with religion. Many religions are anti-gay, while many straight couples are christians 'for the day' to have a lavish church wedding.

I would prefer marriage to be a civil ceremony in law, whether the couple is gay or straight. They can then opt IN to having a religious ceremony in the presence of their god or gods.

• Like 1

I guess I've not seen a politically correct reason to change, all my friends identified as 'gay', they'd be happy with it.

I don't want to get too politically technical :)

My point is, there is no such thing as "gay-marriage". There is just "marriage".

You can't be for or against "gay-marriage" because there is no such thing.

I appreciate that mass media has popularised the concept of there being such a thing as "gay-marriage", but in adopting that imaginary concept as 'real' we actually separate gay people from the rest of society which simply continues to promote prejudices and discriminations.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

My point is, there is no such thing as "gay-marriage". There is just "marriage".

You can't be for or against "gay-marriage" because there is no such thing.

I appreciate that mass media has popularised the concept of there being such a thing as "gay-marriage", but in adopting that imaginary concept as 'real' we actually separate gay people from the rest of society which simply continues to promote prejudices and discriminations.

Then I'm just for reasonable choice.

They can then opt IN to having a religious ceremony in the presence of their god or gods.

Umm.. that's kind of the way it is now. No one has to have a religious ceremony when they get married. I've had friends that have had nonreligious ceremonies, religious ceremonies, and have just got married at the courthouse.

• Like 6

I think gay marriage is fine but churches/preachers should not be forced to marry them. They have their rights too. One persons rights should not trump another persons rights.

• Like 3

I voted. Those who think "Christians are bigots" probably think I'm the one who voted against. Those who know who I am personally will know this is not so.

• Like 2

I did not vote either way since someone else's sexual and marital preferences are none of my business. Love is love so the sex of the people getting married bares no relevance to me whatsoever. If two people love each other and desire to wed then I say go for it regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Yes or no is too polarized for a subject that society has over complicated due to its opinions and beliefs.

• Like 2

My problem with marriage is that it is tied up with religion. Many religions are anti-gay, while many straight couples are christians 'for the day' to have a lavish church wedding.

I would prefer marriage to be a civil ceremony in law, whether the couple is gay or straight. They can then opt IN to having a religious ceremony in the presence of their god or gods.

My husband and I both were raised in a secular household. Me more so than him. When we got married, it was a justice of the peace in my inlaw's house at the time. We both got the marriage license at the town court house prior to the ceremony, and at the time, had blood tests. I feel that I'm legally married. And I think that is important. But apparently to some few, they don't see that. It always gets me why some actually see it that way, when they live in the same country. :rolleyes:

Umm.. that's kind of the way it is now. No one has to have a religious ceremony when they get married. I've had friends that have had nonreligious ceremonies, religious ceremonies, and have just got married at the courthouse.

Like my husband and me. :D I always thought that I was suppose to love those big weddings down at a church and then those big lavish receptions at some hall. What really happened was a wedding at my inlaw's and in front of a justice of the peace, then to across the street to have a nice quaint reception in the basement of our friends and neighbors. I have come to find out, the introvert in me would have hated being the subject of so many eyes. I am glad for what we did have and wouldn't change a thing. :D
  • Like 5

I did not vote either way since someone else's sexual and marital preferences are none of my business. Love is love so the sex of the people getting married bares no relevance to me whatsoever. If two people love each other and desire to wed then I say go for it regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Yes or no is too polarized for a subject that society has over complicated due to its opinions and beliefs.

I agree with Roo.

It's none of my business either way.

I just wish and hope we can all get back to discussing other issues soon, as this seems to have run it's course.

• Like 4

aww don't get to see who votes no... that's a shame

I think we already know who those people are....

• Like 1

no religion is being forced to do anything.

• Like 2

I think gay marriage is fine but churches/preachers should not be forced to marry them. They have their rights too. One persons rights should not trump another persons rights.

Ditto what Ashotep has said! TOTALLY AGREE! :tu:

Just voted yes,

Because it doesn't affect me if 2 men or 2 women get married, if 2 people love each other then they should be happy.

If 2 Christians want to get married then fine, as goes for any other religion. Society is moving forward and adapting, maybe other aspects of life should do the same.

• Like 2

Whoever voted "no" should be shipped off to their own little island where all the other people who still think it's the middle ages should live.

The only reservation I have is when it comes to religious ceremonies.

Wiccan's have a handfasting ritual which is basically a marriage. If a Christian church doesn't like it find a different religion/god. I didn't vote on this because I'm truly indifferent to the whole thing.

Whoever voted "no" should be shipped off to their own little island where all the other people who still think it's the middle ages should live.

Whoever voted "no" is fully entitled to his/her opinion even if it doesn't agree with you or others.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 7

I'm not even sure straight people should be married... :unsure2:

Just kidding - I voted yes :innocent:

• Like 3

yes :)

• Like 1