Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lizards unchanged in 20 million years

taniwha

Tiny Anolis lizards preserved since the Miocene in amber are giving scientists a true appreciation of the meaning of community stability. Dating back some 15 to 20 million years, close comparison of these exquisitely preserved lizard fossils with their descendants alive today in the Caribbean has revealed, remarkably, little about them has changed.

http://smithsonianscience.si.edu/2015/07/trapped-in-amber-ancient-fossils-reveal-remarkable-stability-of-caribbean-lizard-communities/

Evolution works (or doesnt work) in mysterious ways! :)

• Like 2

Lizards have changed.

The tuatara lizard has not changed since 126 million years ago, pretty much owning the original story

• Like 3

That is great. If the lizard at hand is the same as it was 20 million years ago you could probably bet that the living conditions are the same as well (temperature, diet, plant life).

• Like 1

The tuatara lizard has not changed since 126 million years ago, pretty much owning the original story

You may be right, none have been found preserved in ancient gum as far as i know, i assume they have been found in fossil records. There does appear to be biological evidence though that the tuatara, once upon a time, had a third, dreamy eye situated atop its head.

Whatever the function of the mysterious third eye was is still open to debate.

That is great. If the lizard at hand is the same as it was 20 million years ago you could probably bet that the living conditions are the same as well (temperature, diet, plant life).

Thats a really good point to consider as well. Is it even plausible that the lizard habitat has remained unchanged?

I wonder if there is any geological evidence that the island was not affected significantly enough by global warming or cooling or shifting in 20 million years to drive evolution in the lizard.

It must be one of the most peaceful places on Earth.

Thats a really good point to consider as well. Is it even plausible that the lizard habitat has remained unchanged?

I wonder if there is any geological evidence that the island was not affected significantly enough by global warming or cooling or shifting in 20 million years to drive evolution in the lizard.

It must be one of the most peaceful places on Earth.

Historically, rainforest-like conditions have dominated Earth's climates. I doubt if the Caribbean has ever had another climate condition.

Some haven't changed but some have.

Yes, in special dinosaurs birds XD

Sometimes a species doesn't change much due to the success of its design, for example, sharks and crocodiles.

On the other hand, when something happens (natural or artificial), the species may be forced to evolve, in order to prevent extinction.