Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

cancer causing chemicals

infinityandbeyond

Hi there people i have a question.. I jusst got a roll of electric tape and it has a warning on it' it says WARNING: this product contains 1 or more cemicals known to the state of californa to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling. WTF? why is this allowed to be sold if it cause cancer? I noticed that on some primer when I painted a house 2, does other states think it causes cancer 2? if I use the tape how can I avoid these cemicals? it says to wash hands after use but if I tape it on something I normally touch how can you avoid it? should I be worried and should I just return it?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• infinityandbeyond

• Michelle

• Paracelse

• FurthurBB

PVC has long been associated with bladder cancer. Modern life is just a constant exposure to myriad possible carcinogens, short of moving to a desert island, your best plan is avoid known hazards such as smoking and not worry too much about what you can't control.

Hi there people i have a question.. I jusst got a roll of electric tape and it has a warning on it' it says WARNING: this product contains 1 or more cemicals known to the state of californa to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling. WTF? why is this allowed to be sold if it cause cancer? I noticed that on some primer when I painted a house 2, does other states think it causes cancer 2? if I use the tape how can I avoid these cemicals? it says to wash hands after use but if I tape it on something I normally touch how can you avoid it? should I be worried and should I just return it?

If I may ask...electrical tape is not normally used on something you touch on a regular basis...what are you planning on using it for?

As Habitat says, there are many things which supposedly cause, or have been proven to cause cancer. You probably have more chance of getting cancer by inhaling the atmosphere of a normal city than by handling electrical tape ! I suspect the only reason it is written on the tape in the first place is due to the compensation culture that has arisen in the USA .

Many corporations use this tactic to avoid future law suits.. doesn't mean all electricians get cancer from using the tape.

You are all making very good points, but my main concern was in how he is thinking of using the tape. If he is planning on using it to repair a faulty electrical cord, there is a very real possiblility of it being a fire hazard.

PVC has long been associated with bladder cancer. Modern life is just a constant exposure to myriad possible carcinogens, short of moving to a desert island, your best plan is avoid known hazards such as smoking and not worry too much about what you can't control.

The plumbing pipes are made of PVC right? and our drinking water comes through them? i see what your saying it just concerned me thanks for the reply

If I may ask...electrical tape is not normally used on something you touch on a regular basis...what are you planning on using it for?

don't worry nothing electrical i would have gottne black duck tape but where i went they had none.

As Habitat says, there are many things which supposedly cause, or have been proven to cause cancer. You probably have more chance of getting cancer by inhaling the atmosphere of a normal city than by handling electrical tape ! I suspect the only reason it is written on the tape in the first place is due to the compensation culture that has arisen in the USA .

possibly, thats a good point

Many corporations use this tactic to avoid future law suits.. doesn't mean all electricians get cancer from using the tape.

thats another good point, but does anybody know why its only known to californa as causing cancer?

just seems strange as ive seen this labeling before and ive never seen known to the state of texas etc. to cause cancer

don't worry nothing electrical i would have gottne black duck tape but where i went they had none.

Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

If I had a choice between duct tape and electrical tape I'd go for duct tape. Electrical tape gets gummy/sticky around the edges when it gets warm and moved around a lot.

Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

If I had a choice between duct tape and electrical tape I'd go for duct tape. Electrical tape gets gummy/sticky around the edges when it gets warm and moved around a lot.

i agree safety first. its just a temporary fix so it should be fine. i just worry about that and wonder why only cali says it causes cancer

i agree safety first. its just a temporary fix so it should be fine. i just worry about that and wonder why only cali says it causes cancer

What can you say...it's California. :lol:

thats another good point, but does anybody know why its only known to californa as causing cancer?

just seems strange as ive seen this labeling before and ive never seen known to the state of texas etc. to cause cancer

Perhaps Californians are more prone to cancer :P

The plumbing pipes are made of PVC right? and our drinking water comes through them? i see what your saying it just concerned me thanks for the reply

Actually it's the heating of the water in pvc that makes it dangerous and only cold water runs through it. In homes the water runs through copper pipes.

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/background/p65plain.html

It's about prop 65, listing well over 800 chemicals "known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm". The link for a download of the list of chemicals can be found HERE. Basically, if it exists, the odds are something in it can be linked to causing cancer, including the state rock serpentine.

The tape it self is usually a vinyl, but can have a "backing" of fiberglass as well.

Edited by RedSquirrel

California might be the only state that makes them list things like that.

I bought a bundle of firewood to take my kids camping last weekend and honest to god the label said "all wood products are known to the state of California to have cancer causing properties" So yeah even firewood can cause cancer in California LOL

I bought a bundle of firewood to take my kids camping last weekend and honest to god the label said "all wood products are known to the state of California to have cancer causing properties" So yeah even firewood can cause cancer in California LOL

Smoke causes cancer, it is true.

What can you say...it's California.

LOL

Perhaps Californians are more prone to cancer

maybe they are :P LOL

Actually it's the heating of the water in pvc that makes it dangerous and only cold water runs through it. In homes the water runs through copper pipes.

oh ok, thanks.

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/background/p65plain.html

It's about prop 65, listing well over 800 chemicals "known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm". The link for a download of the list of chemicals can be found HERE. Basically, if it exists, the odds are something in it can be linked to causing cancer, including the state rock serpentine.

The tape it self is usually a vinyl, but can have a "backing" of fiberglass as well.

thanks u for the links.

California might be the only state that makes them list things like that.

i think they must be i never saw any other state with that label.

thats kinda funny, i mean smoke can but its funny they need to label things like that.