Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Whitehouse Defending Obama's $100m Trip.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,952 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

View Postacidhead, on 21 June 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

I find your solution comical.  This is why I laughed. We're talking national budget economics and your solution is to give even more central authority to the executive branch?  When does it stop?  It doesn't.  Corruption is everywhere... even in the best imagined GOV ever imagined.
He should take some of that $400,000/year that he's making mussing up this country and go with his family after he's out of office.  What would an Africa trip on a budget cost him and his family then?   $12-15,000?  I think the greatest perpetrator of debt in the history of mankind ought to have some respect while he's still able to get some.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#47    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

The way it is the President and the federal bureaucrats who plan these things are spending public money, and have no concern for economy.  I don't know that handing a personal budget to the President would help, but it seems it would since it would alter the incentives.

#48    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

Presidents should live a good life but a diva's life? No. Presidents should also lead by example. Telling Americans to hunker down and not take trips to Vegas yet takes a vacation every other week and has his wife and kids take seperate ones at astronomical costs to the very people who he tells to hunker down. $100m vacation to the homeland? C'mon. A personal movie projectionist? Seriously? Then the ordinary things like flying a Chicago barber to DC every two weeks for a haircut that could be done 50 times with a $25 set of hair clippers. It is an outrage and it certainly isn't leading by example by any stretch of the liberal imagination. And while normally would agree with acidheads reaction I must say that giving him a $50 million a year salary would certainly be far less a burden on US and I mean burden in every sense of the word.

Posted Image

#49    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,178 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

View PostYamato, on 21 June 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

He should take some of that $400,000/year that he's making mussing up this country and go with his family after he's out of office.  What would an Africa trip on a budget cost him and his family then?   $12-15,000?  
Sure, for a vacation.

However, in this case, he's actually there for reasonably important reasons.   Reasons having to do with the position he holds.  Could it be done more cheaply?  Probably.  But you have to let the Prez visit important areas around the world without crybabying about the cost.  This is the USA, not Denmark for God's sake.

I pointed out that Africa is really dangerous.  I posted what extra costs are involved.

Even as a hard-core conservative, I don't begrudge him this trip.

Harte

Edited by Harte, 22 June 2013 - 12:56 AM.

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#50    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,952 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostHarte, on 22 June 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

Sure, for a vacation.

However, in this case, he's actually there for reasonably important reasons.   Reasons having to do with the position he holds.  Could it be done more cheaply?  Probably.  But you have to let the Prez visit important areas around the world without crybabying about the cost.  This is the USA, not Denmark for God's sake.

I pointed out that Africa is really dangerous.  I posted what extra costs are involved.

Even as a hard-core conservative, I don't begrudge him this trip.

Harte
Of course it's because of the position he holds, that's exactly why I'm suggesting he wait till he no longer holds the position.   What is so important about it?  Why isn't he highlighting the importance of the trip then instead of focusing on it like it's a safari vacation?   What's he able to do as a President that he can't do as an ex-President?   Administer government policy with the taxpayers' money, that's what.   The problem with conservatives these days is that they're hard core liberals.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#51    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

The POTUS is a public servant - not a monarch of the nation served.   A 100 million trip to Europe and Africa sends the wrong message to americans back home.   It's also terribly irresponsible given the fact that all the talk a few short months ago was the debt ceiling when Odrama was talking about 'hard choices'.   How's that bus your driving Obama? The guy is a con man.... a shill for big GOV and a slave to huge corporate interest.  It's too obvious.

......but I digress

I remember Ron Paul pledging during the R's primaries that he, as POTUS, would have waved the $400K per year salary and worked for the national median.  I've never ever heard a politician say that.  In fact its the number question I ask supporters of any politician face to face.

Edited by acidhead, 22 June 2013 - 03:29 AM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#52    Harte

Harte

• 9,178 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:07 AM

View Postacidhead, on 22 June 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

The POTUS is a public servant - not a monarch of the nation served.   A 100 million trip to Europe and Africa sends the wrong message to americans back home.   It's also terribly irresponsible given the fact that all the talk a few short months ago was the debt ceiling when Odrama was talking about 'hard choices'.   How's that bus your driving Obama? The guy is a con man.... a shill for big GOV and a slave to huge corporate interest.  It's too obvious.
I have no problem at all with criticism of his politicking, which is what that was.

However:

Among the highlights for the president will be bilateral meetings with the leaders of Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania, visits to Senegal’s supreme court and a power plant in Tanzania, tours of a slave museum in Gorree Island and the site of the prison where Nelson Mandela was held for two decades on Robben Island. Obama also will tour a community center with Archbishop Desmond Tutu in Cape Town.
These meetings are important to any world power.  Why?

The trip marks Obama’s first extended visit to the sub-Saharan region since he took office in 2009. His only other visit was a one-day stop in Ghana that year. White House aides emphasized that the administration sees the continent as a fast-emerging region where other nations — such as including China, Brazil and Turkey — have vastly expanded their investments. Six of the world’s 10 fastest-growing economies are in sub-Saharan Africa.

I wouldn't say that the trip is a game-changer, but it is one of those things that you do when you're the leader of the free world, like it or not.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson

#53    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,952 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostHarte, on 22 June 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I have no problem at all with criticism of his politicking, which is what that was.

However:

These meetings are important to any world power.  Why?

I wouldn't say that the trip is a game-changer, but it is one of those things that you do when you're the leader of the free world, like it or not.

Harte
Forget politicking, that's what Republicans void of real criticism have to criticize him about.  

Want to expand your investment in Africa?   This is America, you're free to go!   What does Obama have to do with it?    Why can't America keep up with the Joneses without Obama?    "Leader of the free world"?   Nothing like trudging out with media rhetoric to destroy a conservative principle.   Somehow once you cross the magic line known as the border, all principle ceases to exist and we need big government to make the world turn.

#54    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postacidhead, on 22 June 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

......but I digress

I remember Ron Paul pledging during the R's primaries that he, as POTUS, would have waved the $400K per year salary and worked for the national median.  I've never ever heard a politician say that.  In fact its the number question I ask supporters of any politician face to face.
you talk like someone from china ! A communist ! :Di dont care how much he spends.. he need rest to make hard choices ! not everybody can be a president :D

#55    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think a lot of you missed this:

One estimate of the cost has pegged the bill to U.S. taxpayers at somewhere between $60 million and $100 million.

One estimate, that’s just one. The document says the estimate of 60 million to $100 million is based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years. Obama’s only trip to Africa was a 22 hour stopover in Ghana in 2009, so the Secret Service is most likely  basing their cost estimate on the cost of the Bush trips.( which have mysteriously disappeared)

So the cost isn’t even set and all of you are all already freaking out about it.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#56    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

The President has all the facilities of the White House, of Camp David, and of whatever home he comes from (although I'm not aware that Obama has made use of this last item).  The costs here are in the billions.

He also has no end of planes and boats and whatever, bands, historians, poets, florists, gardeners, medical facilities, the list is endless.

In short the States does not govern itself on the cheap -- have you ever been in a Federal courthouse, talk about lavish architecture?

I dunno if all this is good or bad; it does seem excessive.

#57    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

I remember when the media was lambasting GWB when he was taking time off at his ranch in Texas.

Now they got an imperial president who wastes hundreds of millions of taxpayers money on regular pompous vacations, and the media dutifully reports how wonderful that is. Go figure.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#58    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 June 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

The President has all the facilities of the White House, of Camp David, and of whatever home he comes from (although I'm not aware that Obama has made use of this last item).  The costs here are in the billions.

He also has no end of planes and boats and whatever, bands, historians, poets, florists, gardeners, medical facilities, the list is endless.

In short the States does not govern itself on the cheap -- have you ever been in a Federal courthouse, talk about lavish architecture?

I dunno if all this is good or bad; it does seem excessive.

I don't have a problem with our federal and state facilities like that having lavish architecture. It represents a nation that is grand and wealthy plus architecture is awesome, especially wood and stone work. Steel is great and all but buildings today might have their own flair but I consider the computer aided designs and assembly line work very boring compared to the buildings of only a hundred years ago and before.

Posted Image

#59    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Its off topic but I have to agree.  I prefer marble and granite to steel and glass.

#60    Harte

Harte

• 9,178 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostYamato, on 22 June 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

Forget politicking, that's what Republicans void of real criticism have to criticize him about.  

Want to expand your investment in Africa?   This is America, you're free to go!   What does Obama have to do with it? Why can't America keep up with the Joneses without Obama? "Leader of the free world"?   Nothing like trudging out with media rhetoric to destroy a conservative principle.   Somehow once you cross the magic line known as the border, all principle ceases to exist and we need big government to make the world turn.
I think you and others overreact here to one of the duties of the President of the United States.

Why do we need government to intervene on behalf of private industry in Africa?  Do you believe that African nations are all just waiting for the best deal for their individual countries, or the best deal for their individual leaders?

The Russians and Chinese wouldn't scruple to play by whatever rules you believe to be in existence in the world marketplace.  Are we to sit on our hands and watch these economies benefit our competition, or should we do something about it ourselves?

You people have this weird view that the Prez should just be Joe Sixpack or something.

We cannot exist in isolation, and trade, strategic partnerships, etc. with foreign countries is absolutely one of the responsibilities of the government.

I don't care for Obama at all.  The last straw was what he did to GM, so I'm not exactly a new convert.  I voted for Gingrich, for God's sake.

I campaigned for Barry Goldwater when I was in elementary school.  I don't need some novice calling my conservative credentials into question.  The very idea is preposterous.

Harte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users