Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

most underrated and overratedmusicians/bands

ali smack

who do you feel are the most underrated and overrated musicians/bands?

• Like 1

One Direction.

You can decide for yourself which category they come into. :santa:

• Like 5

Everyone will most likely have their own idea on this, based on their musical preferences.. Here's mine...

(I'm an old fart so this is 'old fart music')...

Under rated...

Al Stewart - consistently great songwriting and playing fromthe late 60's until today (weirdly enough he even sounds the same)...

The Moody Blues - people are either devoted fans, totally unimpressed or oblivious to them...

Gordon Lightfoot - a legend in Canada, virtually unknown anywhere else...

Over rated:

Almost all of the clone-like pop singers out there...

• Like 3

For over-rated.... Coldplay! I can't stand them, think the lead singer has the most depressing voice ever.

• Like 2

Underated- Lisse .....did anyone catch her take a drink of water before singing....She will no longer be electable. (sorry had to throw it in)

Underrated? Fairport Convention

Overrated? I'm with Taun (plus 'c'rappers)

• Like 1

underrated? tom waits, nomeansno

overrated.... nicklebackdefaulttheoryofdeadmanscompositebands, metallica, green day, nirvana, ill even put the beatles on here too.

Edited by Iron_Lotus

Hmmm... well, here's my opinion:

Overrated-Counrty music stars. Most of them were just as talented as every church choir singer, but they just went into a recording studio and read the words on the paper into the fancy mic. In my opinion, thats not being a musician. Writing your own music and performig music that you have written is being a musician. Well, i think playing covers of good bands is alright, it just bugs me when musicians get a free ride by singing music written by poeple that will never be recognized for the beautiful music they write, because someone else comes along that people will like more for their looks than their music. Its not only in counrty music, and some country music artists aren't this way but i personally see it most in counrty music.

Underrated- Classical musicians, small town rock bands, violists... lol :P

• Like 1

Overated... 98% of the trash you hear in the charts.

Underated... All the bands, singers, musicians, composers and producers who struggle to make money, but still carry on because they have a deep passion for the music they love.

• Like 5

One Direction.

You can decide for yourself which category they come into. :santa:

Not in any order:

• The Spice Girls and any one of them that launched a solo career
  • Will i am: Great musical genius but can't sing for toffee.
  • Yoko Ono: No need to explain her being on my list.
  • Justin Beiber: I just can't stand him.
  • Bjork.
  • Bette Midler.
  • Anyone from the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, Pop Girl that brainwash the kids into thinking their good.
  • Justin Beiber: I just can't stand him.
  • Paris Hilton.
  • The Cheeky Girls.

I think thats enough for now, I am going to play my showaddywaddy Cd's to remind me of what real music is all about, righ after I have danced along to "Black Lace's" Agadoo.

Paris Hilton.

Dear God dont tell me she put out an album.

• Like 1

Coincidentally, I think she owned the record company/label..

• Like 1

Oh yes she did! Called 'Paris' and released in (2006). It made #1 on the hit list (in Turkey!) Personally I think the word 'turkey' says it all!

Coincidentally, I think she owned the record company/label..

Correct. Called 'Heiress Records' and associated with Warner Bros.

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 3

Paris Hilton ahs become a DJ now as well..... Well.. I wouldn't class her as a DJ, she can't mix or anything, she had an actual DJ with her who kept grabbing the mixer etc and sorting it for her. Such a joke.

here you go. Enjoy.

(some viewers may find content offensive. :innocent: )

(What i found amusing was at the start of it when I looked it up was an advert for treatment for Fungal foot infection. Make of that whatever you like.)

here you go. Enjoy.

[media=]

[/media]

(some viewers may find content offensive. :innocent: )

(What i found amusing was at the start of it when I looked it up was an advert for treatment for Fungal foot infection. Make of that whatever you like.)

Why did I have to hit the play button and subject my ears to that.. Sorry I could only manage 1:40 seconds. "Stars may be blind but the general public Paris are not death".

Back to showaddywaddy for me.

• Like 2

Im not that gullible. I dont click every link I see.

Overated... 98% of the trash you hear in the charts.

Quoted for truthery.

But in that 2% would you include RATM's "Killing In The Name"?

Btw the most underrated band would have to be Enter Shakiri.

You know "De-Stabilise" and " Arguing With Thermoneters".

Edited by Medium Brown

Most underrated - Firehouse

Most overrated - agree with Coffey, pretty much everything on the radio.

4 A.M. and Apocrypho are two underrated groups. Also, the cognoscenti found their live performances to be too arty and distant or elitist (depending on the earnest "critic").

Overrated...(obviously not currently)

The Rolling Stones

Prince

Motley Crue

The Red Hot Chili Peppers

John Cougar Mellencamp

Billy Idol

Bonnie Raitt

the doors

Phil Collins/Genesis

Over-rated - pretty much everything in the Top-40.

Under-rated - Barry Adamson

For over-rated.... Coldplay! I can't stand them, think the lead singer has the most depressing voice ever.

I actually don't mind a bit of Coldplay here and there. It's one of my exceptions to the Top-40 players

underrated? tom waits, nomeansno

overrated.... nicklebackdefaulttheoryofdeadmanscompositebands, metallica, green day, nirvana, ill even put the beatles on here too.

I'd possibly agree with you on Nirvana (being that they are most popular today because of Cobain's suicide), and perhaps Greenday as well. But Metallica are one of (if not the) greatest metal bands in history. And the Beatles? Geez, I can't list the number of ways I disagree with you on that.

Not in any order:

• Bjork.

Just pulling this one off your list, I think Bjork is absolutely amazing. For the rest on your list I mostly agreed.

I guess this shows how subjective a list like this is.....

I actually don't mind a bit of Coldplay here and there. It's one of my exceptions to the Top-40 players

I'd possibly agree with you on Nirvana (being that they are most popular today because of Cobain's suicide), and perhaps Greenday as well. But Metallica are one of (if not the) greatest metal bands in history. And the Beatles? Geez, I can't list the number of ways I disagree with you on that.

Just pulling this one off your list, I think Bjork is absolutely amazing. For the rest on your list I mostly agreed.

I guess this shows how subjective a list like this is.....

Bjork is probably the best on the list & I can see there is a musical talent in her and I did think twice about putting her on the list. Having said that a list can also push into boundaries of personal preference and Bjork isn’t someone I like to listen to. I guess a person’s list could go on and on, I could add: Cliff Richard, any kind of Classical musician & Opera singers but they would probably be high on another’s list of best Musicians… (Well perhaps not Cliff, surely, no one really likes him). :no:

I forgot one:

• Cheryl Cole.. I don't know she slipped under my radar.