Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neanderthals sang opera

Still Waters

Neanderthals sang opera, British archaeologist Steven Mithen, originator of the theory that music was used as a form of pre-linguistic communication by these pre-historic people, told EFE.

“The musicality of the Neanderthals can be identified more with opera than with rap because in addition to music, these hominids also used dance and body language as forms of communication,” said Mithen, author of “The Singing Neanderthals”.

http://www.phenomeni...researcher.html

• Like 2

Not being funny, but Opera is very complex. Compared to Rap especially, so I very much doubt it was Opera.... It was probably grunts or chants. Seems like a pretty weird thing to say to claim to be honest.

Anyway why do we kepe hearing all these things about Neanderthals being soulful, kind and empathic... Where we the monsters who killed an innocent race?

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 3

Why do so called scientists continually present thier theories as fact?

• Like 3

I'll be waiting for the evidence before I believe it. Probably more of a case of beating their chests and grunting at the women to wait on them.

• Like 2

here we the monsters who killed an innocent race?

Neanderthals weren't exterminated. We didn't kill them; we bread with them and assimilated then :w00t: All Europeans and I believe almost, if not all asians too have some Neaderthal DNA. Therefore they weren't killed off. :yes:

• Like 2

That is the most hilarious thing I've read all day. :lol:

It's not that bad.

I've seen opera singers dressing up as Vikings called Helga!

Neanderthals weren't exterminated. We didn't kill them; we bread with them and assimilated then :w00t: All Europeans and I believe almost, if not all asians too have some Neaderthal DNA. Therefore they weren't killed off. :yes:

I'm sure I read that they didn't 100% know. I've read we killed them because they where a threat to us and we where smaller but more intelligent.

I've heard of them being a part of our DNA as well though.

It's hard to get accurate facts on it to be honest.

I'm sure I read that they didn't 100% know. I've read we killed them because they where a threat to us and we where smaller but more intelligent.

I've heard of them being a part of our DNA as well though.

It's hard to get accurate facts on it to be honest.

I've just seen a throwaway comment in Tom Knox's Mark Of Cain...

"He now knew that some people thought the Basques were descended from Neanderthals".

Now that's significant for two reasons.

The Neanderthal's last recorded sighting was near the Horn Of Gibraltar.

And the fact that Spain like all Latin European countries have a fine tradition of opera singers.

It might have been a throwaway comment but I'm warming to the idea.

Who's to say that the Neanderthal's didn't do their impersonation of lemmings and instead stayed behind to interbreed with Homo Sapiens.

Could this be the underlying reason why ETA want the Basque region to be totally automonious from Spanish control.

It goes without saying because I need to do further research on this.

Not too shabby from a piece of " adolescent" fiction.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

Not being funny, but Opera is very complex. Compared to Rap especially, so I very much doubt it was Opera.... It was probably grunts or chants. Seems like a pretty weird thing to say to claim to be honest.

Anyway why do we kepe hearing all these things about Neanderthals being soulful, kind and empathic... Where we the monsters who killed an innocent race?

You ever been to an opera?

Sometimes you get murderous thoughts when listening to the performers.

• Like 1

What was it? 5, 10 years ago 'scientists' weren't even sure neanderthals had the ability to talk... now they sang operatic arrias?...

I can just imagine a small group of neanderthal men returning from the hunt - unsuccessful, the alpha male stands, hangs his head and starts singing "Vesti la giubba" from "Il Pagliacci"...

(edit to add)... when what he should have sung was "Yes, we have no bananas"...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 3

Do what. I wonder how much time and money was spent on this research that has not proof or any facts.

Do what. I wonder how much time and money was spent on this research that has not proof or any facts.

Sounds like it only took a couple hours and few beers to come up with...

• Like 3

I did read today that it appears the last stronghold of the Neanderthals, in Spain, went unoccupied well before the first Cro-magnons arrived in the area -- by several thousand years. That would imply that any interbreeding was difficult.

Did they get this idea from Family Guy? Causr they definately make a joke about cavemen singing

I think they got it from the terraces at the County Ground.

That's if you can accept the fact that footie fans are Neanderthals in disguise.

Our main chant is singing "Paulo Di Canio" in an operatic falsetto.

To be honest though it hasn't got anywhere near smashing wine flutes just yet.

Edited by Medium Brown

You would have thought they would have enjoyed 'rock' music more than opera. :whistle:

• Like 3

It's not the 1st of April is it....

I would love to see a play about opera singing Neanderthals.

It would have made a good Monty Python Sketch..

• Like 2

And what did they use for sheet music .A Fred Flintstone stone slab with notes on it .

I am dubious .I'm more apt to believe real Klingons has opera.

• Like 1

You would have thought they would have enjoyed 'rock' music more than opera. :whistle:

I've no idea what football fans listen to on their I-Pod.

You can't really use me as an example.

But your missing an obvious opera anthem specially adapted for footie..

Nessun Dorma which sits head and shoulders over the rest.

Didn't you see that little concert they laid on before the 1990 World Cup Final featuring the Three Tenors?

You know Pavarotti and his Spanish amigos.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

Another Nutcase Scientist trying to make a name for himself......Nessun Dorma.