Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Keystone Pipeline Springs a leak

Grimmie

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/04/news/keystone-pipeline-oil-spill-south-dakota/index.html

A key section of the Keystone pipeline has been shut down due to an oil spill in South Dakota, TransCanada said on Monday.

TransCanada (TRP), which operates the pipeline, reported a spill of about 187 gallons of crude oil to the Coast Guard's National Response Center on Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

Time to call in the plumber...

• Like 1

Part of the risk of being dependant on oil.

No one likes it, but until we find a serious and effective alternative, these are the problems we will have.

... and as long as it happens to somebody else we are not overly concerned either...

No one likes it, but until we find a serious and effective alternative, these are the problems we will have.

Being independent of oil is a fallacy. We will always need oil...

http://www.ranken-energy.com/products%20from%20petroleum.htm

• Like 3

Being independent of oil is a fallacy. We will always need oil...

http://www.ranken-en...m petroleum.htm

They mention that gasoline is used for little less than half, and then show a list of other things it's used for. With Gasoline also being on that list....Weird.

But, always needing oil, and being dependent on oil as our chief source of energy are vastly different things.

They mention that gasoline is used for little less than half, and then show a list of other things it's used for. With Gasoline also being on that list....Weird.

But, always needing oil, and being dependent on oil as our chief source of energy are vastly different things.

Not to be a stickler, but that isn't what you wrote... you were much more general. I agree, to have gas on a list that should have excluded gas, diesel, automotive oil, etc. is ridiculous, but you got the picture. We wouldn't have football without oil.

• Like 1

plastic is oil, we use more and more of it. as fuel for ships and planes i see no viable alternatives. also keep in mind when oil is refined, we get several things, gasoline being one of them, diesel/kerosene/.... are others, you can't get jet fuel\diesel from oil without getting gasoline along with it, so as long as oil is refined we will be getting gasoline, need or not, before ICE engine became popular, gasoline was thrown away, actually invention of ICE was a way to use all that wasted gasoline. cuz back than kerosene was what we really needed, gasoline was a byproduct

Edited by aztek

Only 187 gallons. They caught it quickly I guess.

One overturned tanker truck would spill 9000 gallons. It's got to be transported somehow.

• Like 1

Not to be a stickler, but that isn't what you wrote... you were much more general. I agree, to have gas on a list that should have excluded gas, diesel, automotive oil, etc. is ridiculous, but you got the picture. We wouldn't have football without oil.

Oh no, sorry, I wasn't contending with you. You're right, oil dependency seems as much a part of us as food dependency. You raised a very good point. I appreciated the comment, was just adding my extra 2 cents!

Edited by supervike
  • Like 1

One overturned tanker truck would spill 9000 gallons. It's got to be transported somehow.

WOW - a tanker truck holds that much?! :o I had no idea.

WOW - a tanker truck holds that much?! :o I had no idea.

Depending on the state I guess. Where I'm at, they are only allowed around 7000 gallons.

there are different trucks, there are home fuel delivery, for oil furnaces, they are 3 axle trucks, have pump, meter, and reel with hose on board, and there are fuel transport trucks that bring fuel to gas stations, they are large semis, there are no pumps on board, the hook up is under the tanker itself.

We've known those alternatives for decades. Massive public funding of wind and solar farms and infrastructure improvements to move huge amounts of power from place to place.

First, end all public subsidies for fossil fuel companies, which post record profits year after year. They do not need taxpayer welfare.

Use that money to begin the transition to sustainable power.

The costs will drop quickly until sustainable electricity is much cheaper than fossil fuel electricity. If not for the aggressive lobbying of fossil fuel interests, we would be there now.

We know what to do and we know the costs of not doing it. We're not doing it because a few ultra-wealthy people are fighting to keep their gravy train running.

• Like 1

But you don't need to transport oil a long way to process it into plastics.

why not? plastic manufacturers usually not located close to oil rigs. you do need to transport it anyway. and i would not be surprised many manufacturers would not want any contaminated, or half refined oil to work with at the plastic plant.

why not? plastic manufacturers usually not located close to oil rigs. you do need to transport it anyway. and i would not be surprised many manufacturers would not want any contaminated, or half refined oil to work with at the plastic plant.

Many plastic manufacturing facilities are located a very short pipe distance from refineries. They "buy" a waste product from the refinery and generally "sell" propane back as it is often a byproduct of making plastic. The arrangement works well for both companies as it provides an outlet for a waste stream to the refinery and allows the plastic company to outlet the propane via logistic infrastructure already in place at the refinery because the refining process also generates propane as a byproduct.

that may be so, but my point was refineries\plastic factory, are not always close to oil fields, oil has to be transported there. you still need to transport it, be it trucks\trains or pipeline.

that may be so, but my point was refineries\plastic factory, are not always close to oil fields, oil has to be transported there. you still need to transport it, be it trucks\trains or pipeline.

Agreed and pipeline or truck transport are not as worrisome to me as bulk rail or ocean going supertanker transport methods.