Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great movies that weren't so Great, iyo

What movie(s) that are consistently considered "Well-liked" or even "Great Filmaking" were you not so convinced they deserve it?

I am not a movie connoisseur or anything close, so you won't get any clever debate from me. And I won't argue anyone's taste. That is not the point of this thread.

I am just curious why others might not like some "Well-liked" movies.

I'll start:

The Breakfast Club

I never bought nor liked any of the performances.

It was too out-of-touch "Hollywood" for me. And I've been the outcast, the cheerleader, the burnout, and the athlete in junior and high schools I attended.

The Big Chill. Great songs, yet I never believed they would have been friends in college, or that "Sarah" would let her husband just sleep with an old friend like that.

The characters just weren't believable for me, no matter how motivating the music.

Forrest Gump

Sorry, hated Hanks performance, and just did not enjoy the movie or find it "touching" in any way.

The Wizard of Oz

I found Dorothy annoying and just could never get into her or any of the other characters.

It's a Wonderful Life

Hubby loves it and never misses it when he can. I've tried a couple times to make it through to the end but never can.

Not really sure why?

Your turn...

Edited by QuiteContrary

The original Star Wars trilogy. They were an amazing experience when I saw them when they were first released, but when I watch them now they seem to me to be clunky B movies.

• Like 2

I personally couldn't stand The Godfather movies... :hmm: They were incredibly slow, and it was difficult for me to stay awake during them to watch the whole thing. A total bore...

That and the Back to the Future sequels. First one was great, second was just a money grabber, and the third was a shatter my forehead sized facepalm.

• Like 1

The first Star Trek movie put me to sleep, although I enjoyed the rest of the films in the series. I needed coffee or No-Doze to stay awake during some of "2001: A Space Odyssey". That might have been due to my age when I saw it. I debated on that one since I didn't want to offend Kubrick fans.

• Like 1

I could most likely name a heap but this one stood out .....

AVATAR - For all the hype and build up this would have to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen , the story line was absolute rubbish... the acting ... about the same .

TiP.

• Like 3

I totally agree , Avatar for all the hype was sooooooo crap.

I could most likely name a heap but this one stood out .....

AVATAR - For all the hype and build up this would have to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen , the story line was absolute rubbish... the acting ... about the same .

TiP.

It was beautiful in terms of graphics, which is why it sold so much. It's just like you said, the storyline and actors. I new the whole story pretty much before the movie even began.

The English Patient

Passion Of The Christ

Titanic

Titanic

American Graffiti

I just never cared about the characters (just a gut reaction, same as I have with the cast of the TV show Cheers, i disliked more in the ensemble than I liked/cared about)

Edited by QuiteContrary

AI I was 12 when I saw it at home watched like 30mins and gave up bored. American Beauty 13 when I saw it tried rewatching a few years ago still hated it too complicated

I'd like to say Titanic, but since I've never actually seen the whole thing through from start to finish (I've often gotten bored halfway through and run off to do other things, or I've joined in watching the movie halfway through it's re-run on tv) I can't say I feel comfortable making that assertion (though I do think it apt).

One movie that I believe was not that great that will cause a lot of controversy is Pulp Fiction. I never got into it. The story was disjointed (by design) and as such I never became enamoured with the characters. I'm a fan of Tarantino, and it's probably sacrilege to say this to any Tarantino fan (let alone myself as a Tarantino fan), but I didn't like the choice he made in mixing up the story lines. I much prefer Inglourious Basterds, which at this point is my favourite Tarantino film of all time (and one of my favourite films of all time, period). If you loved Pulp Fiction, you're going to hate me for this opinion, I just didn't like it.

AI I was 12 when I saw it at home watched like 30mins and gave up bored. American Beauty 13 when I saw it tried rewatching a few years ago still hated it too complicated

Yeah, that's one I never liked either.

I didn't think 40-Year-Old Virgin was the least bit funny.

Anything starring Will Smith :w00t:

I would agree with you if you replace "Smith" with "Ferrell". I just don't get him. He can do and say very funny things at times, but he often crosses the line into stupid territory. "Anchorman" is horrible, in my opinion.

Yes, I would agree these movies aren't perfect.

Star Trek - first one - doesn't Kirk just walk around the ship for 45 minutes or so? I saw it as a kid so it's been a while.

Titanic- taped it off the TV, and stil I have not finished watching it. It had such hype in the 90's. Some women I know said it was the greatest movie of all time. What do they know?

Avatar - visually stunning but the dialog was stupid. Maybe it would be better with the sound off and some rock music playing.

Star Wars is still pretty good though. I think it still holds up over time. At least the first 2 movies.

Edited by little_dreamer

Citizen Kane: No one ever heard him say 'Rosebud', ergo, there could be no movie, giant plot hole, makes the movie less enjoyable to me.

Edited by Hasina

• 2 weeks later...

Not so, Hasina. It's in the first scene. He's on his deathbed, clutching the glass ball with the snow scene inside. He gasps out the word "Rosebud" as he dies and drop the ball and it smashes. There were people with him when he died. That comes out later in some dialogue.

I've never seen the original True Grit, but the remake by the Coen brothers was a huge disappointment. :td:

On second thought, maybe that's better as an example of a great movie- I wouldn't know since I haven't seen the original- that shouldn't have been remade.

To me, a lot of movies that win awards aren't anywhere near great.

Edited by regi

The Wizard of Oz

I found Dorothy annoying and just could never get into her or any of the other characters.

AMEN! This movie is so boring with so-so acting. I think the only reason why people liked it was because it was half b/w and half color.

AMEN! This movie is so boring with so-so acting. I think the only reason why people liked it was because it was half b/w and half color.

I liked it because of the flying monkeys ... :yes:

Critics and hipsters loved "Seven Psychopaths". I didn't. I was disappointed by it. The movie didn't match the trailer.

The Dark Knight; I am a huge Batman fan, I do love the films, I think it has a phenomenal cast and crew. But I just don't think it warrants such great praise.

The Transformers movies... They're just explosions, explosions, explosions, and more explosions...

The Dark Knight; I am a huge Batman fan, I do love the films, I think it has a phenomenal cast and crew. But I just don't think it warrants such great praise.

Interesting. It is my (admittedly subjective) opinion that The Dark Knight is the best super hero movie ever. If anything, it would be The Dark Knight Rises that disappointed me.But I think that had more to do with following on the heels of such a great film that it couldn't possibly reach that same standard. But as said, this is just my opinion.
  • Like 1

Interesting. It is my (admittedly subjective) opinion that The Dark Knight is the best super hero movie ever. If anything, it would be The Dark Knight Rises that disappointed me.But I think that had more to do with following on the heels of such a great film that it couldn't possibly reach that same standard. But as said, this is just my opinion.

The only fault I have with The Dark Knight was how they wrote Two Face and Rachel. Honestly, I think all three films stand on equal footing. But like you said; subjective opinions and all.