Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

women philosophers

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,990 posts

• Sorry for the incoherent poetry.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

http://en.m.wikipedi...le_philosophers

I was thinking to myself philosophy has a shortage of feminine points of view but I see Wikipedia has an extensive list of women philosophers.

Are you familiar with any of these? If so what do you like and/or dislike about thier philosophies? I want to read something new that I haven't been exposed to before and I want it to be by a woman. I haven't read anything from Theresa Avila yet.. she will be my next target author probably. I see her quoted a lot and know she has some extensive writings... but what about some of these listed here... what do you think?

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#2    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 10 February 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

haven't read anything from Theresa Avila yet.. she will be my next target author probably. I see her quoted a lot and know she has some extensive writings... but what about some of these listed here... what do you think?

Some are familiar to me, but you are right, female philosophers are uncommon, especially in the ancient world. Hypatia of Alexandria is on the list I see. She's become the poster-child for militant atheists because she died at the hands of a Christian mob.  I just searched and found the movie Agora online. I'm not sure if it's um, legal, if not I assume a mod can delete the link. Anyways, I enjoyed the movie. You can stream it or download it.

p.s. Theresa of Avila, um, make that Saint Theresa is one of several "philosophers" on that wiki page you have. There's a couple more Roman Catholic mystics and Saints on that page. Yes, I guess you could call them philosophers, but they really are looking at things through a coloured lens.

#3    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,990 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

View Postredhen, on 10 February 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

Some are familiar to me, but you are right, female philosophers are uncommon, especially in the ancient world. Hypatia of Alexandria is on the list I see. She's become the poster-child for militant atheists because she died at the hands of a Christian mob.  I just searched and found the movie Agora online. I'm not sure if it's um, legal, if not I assume a mod can delete the link. Anyways, I enjoyed the movie. You can stream it or download it.

p.s. Theresa of Avila, um, make that Saint Theresa is one of several "philosophers" on that wiki page you have. There's a couple more Roman Catholic mystics and Saints on that page. Yes, I guess you could call them philosophers, but they really are looking at things through a coloured lens.

Colored lens like how?

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

St Teresa of Avila reformed the Carmelite nuns .
She petitioned the present popes for years . She wrote a lot. She was from Spain ,during years of Spanish upheaval ,which led to some of her convictions .
She was more analytical than most ,and not all that mystical .
Do not confuse her with St Therese of Lisieux ,who is considered the mystical one.
She was French .

She's called St Therese of the Little Flower,because her novena involves roses.
She's depicted holding roses,while St Teresa of Avila is seen holding a feather pen .

They were both Carmelite nuns,but Therese entered the fold centuries after Teresa's reformation .

I know a bit about saints,especially the Thereses .

Of the rest ,I'm only familiar with Hypatia . Never read any of her works though

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 10 February 2013 - 06:10 AM.

Miss me?

#5    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 February 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

St Teresa of Avila reformed the Carmelite nuns .She was more analytical than most ,and not all that mystical .
Do not confuse her with St Therese of Lisieux ,who is considered the mystical one.

Ah yes, my mistake, I was thinking of the "Little flower".  Anyways, that list includes Saint Hildegard, Saint Teresia Benedicta of the Cross (aka Edith Stein), and various Catholic nuns. I would hazard a guess that any philosophy they undertook would have to fall in line with Roman Catholic orthodoxy. So, not exactly free thinkers.

#6    JeremyjJstone

JeremyjJstone

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Lot's of people liken women sarcastically to be the same as effete rich men, whom are nutritionally qualified to provide children through their seed. People scoff their resentment over the issue by referring to them as "women".

"The Devils" was a really horrible movie on the subject. All but the extreme-poor in the 1st world can afford to eat like kings, these days, so the issue is kind of tired.

But honestly, misogyny was historically very much about that. We're just still dealing with the legacy of it. More girl-philosophers would make me jump for joy! Not like nietzsche -- he hated women and jews, and he was never sarcastic about it.

The real tragedy is that science has moved us so far passed this kind of thing that women will unlikely ever be able to stamp their thoughts on them with much credibility. http://en.wikipedia....rry_of_Chartres

Like the female teacher from "Bad Teacher" says it: "Chartres (shut) Up"... Watch the film, it's exactly the way the line goes.

Edited by JeremyjJstone, 10 February 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#7    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

ah no , not the woman's . dont give them a pen to write , the world ll end ,

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,689 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Being a man, I don't really know, but it's for sure that there haven't been many prominent female philosophers, not even today when they would be more likely to get a hearing.  The same applies to competitive chess, something I've wondered about, not a lot, but I guess a few times.

#9    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 10 February 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

http://en.m.wikipedi...le_philosophers

I was thinking to myself philosophy has a shortage of feminine points of view but I see Wikipedia has an extensive list of women philosophers.

Are you familiar with any of these? If so what do you like and/or dislike about thier philosophies? I want to read something new that I haven't been exposed to before and I want it to be by a woman. I haven't read anything from Theresa Avila yet.. she will be my next target author probably. I see her quoted a lot and know she has some extensive writings... but what about some of these listed here... what do you think?
Omg thankyou for shaming me, i didnt realise i was so sexist in my philosophy knoweldge lol
i will favourite this wiki page and inject my philosophy with some oestrogen lol

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#10    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Convoi exceptionnel

• 26,034 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

"A woman philosopher, sir, is like a Dog walking on its hind legs. The wonder is not that it is done well, but that it is done at all."
~ Samuel Johnson

(nearly)

Edited by Lord Vetinari, 10 February 2013 - 11:34 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#11    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,990 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 10 February 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

"A woman philosopher, sir, is like a Dog walking on its hind legs. The wonder is not that it is done well, but that it is done at all."
~ Samuel Johnson

(nearly)

All thats about to change buddy...

#12    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 10 February 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

~ Samuel Johnson

(nearly)
LMAO

That list is interesting though and I guess I never really thought about whether or not there were female philosophers

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,689 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I had heard of Hypatia as a defender of philosophy against the Christian mob -- who martyred her.

#14    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,861 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

View Postredhen, on 10 February 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

We all look at things through colored lenses my friend, we each have our own perspective, also the culture we grew up in etc.  The perspective of many saints if actually followed, at least in how we relate to one another, would probably change the world for the better.  I am not just talking about Christians saints either, but mystics from all traditions.  I am not sure a purely secular world is possible nor desireable......I just want the two seperated, when governmets and religion get into bed, they have some pretty violent off spring.  Off course each does pretty good on their own as well ;-(.

peace
mark

Edited by markdohle, 10 February 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#15    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,861 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 10 February 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

All thats about to change buddy...

Good spirit, SpirtWriter...pun intended :clap:

Peace
Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users