Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Way To Remove A Ouija Board?

kaarman

Hi. I need some advice, please. We are renting this house and just moved in a month ago. It has one of those attics that are only good for storage (fold-down ladder/stairs in the hallway ceiling - can only stand up through the middle where the roof peaks, pink insulation showing randomly where there's not plywood laying down to walk on, etc.) Besides a few things left up there from the previous owners it was virtually empty until we took some boxes and things up there. All I know of the history of this house is that it belonged to an elderly couple and they either both passed away or one passed away and other went to a nursing home or something - I'm not sure. So, we are renting from the new owners. Anyway, today I went up in the attic to look for something and happened to notice off to the side a flat box that looked kind old and just said OUIJA on it in big letters. I kind of pushed it with my foot, hoping to find that it was just a box lid or something but when it moved over a little I could see inside the end of it that there is a board inside. I left it right where it was, went back downstairs and closed up the attic. I did not touch it beyond nudging it with my foot and do not want to. When I told my husband about it he was as suprised he had not seen it when he was up there before, which was one of my initial reactions. I don't know how I could have missed it - except that it was laying on the other side of a horizontal beam which I suppose could have obstructed the words and we just didn't pay attention to it. My 14 year old son, who can be quite curious at times and has been up there several times, had also never noticed it. What I want to know is, can we just walk it out of here since we haven't used it? What about just asking the owner to take it out of here? My husband thinks we should see if it's an antique or something and put it on ebay or something, but I just want it out of here and I don't want to cause any problems by doing it the wrong way. Do the stories I've heard about the problems people encounter when trying to get rid of them only apply when the person has used it (or "waken it up")? Am I worrying for no reason? Wal-Mart didn't have millions of Ouija boards come back to haunt them when they sold them and people walked out of the stores with them, right? I'd appreciate any insight - I'd like to get it out of here as soon as possible. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kaarman

• Elfstone810

• aquatus1

• cptblackbeard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi kaarman

You might want to read the following post, as it has some good advice on it, that might be of some help to you.

Ouija problems

All the best

Faeden

Send it to me thumbsup.gif . I will post email of address later if u want. And I am serious. Dont sell it on ebay..just give it away. I will pay C.O.D.

Edited by primordial

It isn't magic. If you don't want it, pick it up and throw it in the trash...unless it is really old and then it might be worth a few bucks. original.gif

If you haven't used it you can probably just toss it. If youre concerned take it to a church(of your beliefs or catholicism if yours doesn't have a church near by) and leave it there with a note requesting they dispose of it. They'll take care of the thing and make sure it doesn't leave any unpleasant suprises.

since it was up in the attic, that may mean something weird happened with it with the previous owners. if you are really worried about something going wrong, then i suggest getting it out of there and trying to see how much you get for it, or you might want to throw it away. some people would suggest burning it. if you are afraid of getting it from the attic, then just leave it up there. if weird unexplainable things begin to happen, then have a paranormal expert look at it.

If the Ouiji was made by Hasbro, then you'd better just move away, and call a priest. grin2.gif

Thanks for all the responses so quickly! I'm confused on the Hasbro thing - is there something about them I don't know? Either way, unless Hasbro has been making them for years and years I doubt it's a Hasbro anyway. I've seen the modern boxes in the store and this box is much much older than that. I'm curious but I don't want to go back up by myself. My husband thinks it's all silly (both the idea that they work and the way I'm concerned about how to go about getting it out of here) so when he gets home I'll have him go up - I just know I want nothing to do with it, especially at midnight when he's not home from work yet! no.gif

Send it to me thumbsup.gif . I will post email of address later if u want. And I am serious. Dont sell it on ebay..just give it away. I will pay C.O.D.

507518[/snapback]

That's fine with me - I'm in Missouri so sending it Canada works for me. Let me talk to my husband before I commit 100% (because he's going to have to go up and get it and handle it since he thinks it's all silly anyway) but I like that option better than any others so far.

Hey, neighbor! What part of MO are you in? I'm in rural Henry County meself. original.gif

since it was up in the attic, that may mean something weird happened with it with the previous owners.

This is a very good point and a clear indicator of some kind of demonic possesion. I put all my weird stuff in the attic.

If you want to dispose of it safely follow these instructions to the letter.

1) Pick it up

2) Put it in a trash can

If you deviate from the process at all it might turn into a psiball and you WILL probably evaporate so be careful.

If it says OUIJA, then chances are pretty good it came from a gaming company, most likely Hasbro. That name isn't used too widely anywhere else (the word "Ouija" is copyrighted by them). Toss it. It is about as dangerous as a Monopoly game.

Yeah, Aquatus, but if the design on the box is very different from modern boards, it might be old enough to be worth some money to a collector. It'd be a shame for them to toss it if they could sell it on ebay.

Of course, it would probably have to be REALLY old. There might be a date somewhere on the box or the board.

That is entirely possible. If it says Hasbro anywhere, just toss it; they haven't been making them long enough for them to be collectible. If, on the other hand, you have yourself an original Elijah Bond, that might well be worth a couple of bucks to the right person. Check if the name Kennard Novelty Company appears anywhere.

I found a picture on ebay of what the box looked like and if I did it right it is attached to this post. The owner of this house had some workers here today so I went ahead and asked one of them to get rid of it for me since I knew they had to go up in the attic to fix the exhaust fan anyway. One of them took it out to his truck - he said he was going to take it home. thumbup.gif

post-15781-1109816954.jpg

That's cool. I've never seen that box before, but the board design looks like plain old Hasbro, plastic pointer and all.