Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

What have you found?

lost ancient found antique

  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

so im starting this thread to ask if any of you have ever see/found anything really old and cool, share your stories im really interested to see what the average people have found going about their normal lives, example ill start

1700's spanyard coin- found in my yard after drive way repairs- rough shape but can roughly make out the dat starts with 17 and some one told me it looks spanyard

fossils dont know exactly what they are but there shells fosilized in stone also found around rocks in my dirt path behind my old barn

and a gold ring circa 1820's with a diamond stone, found while metal detecting on my old property

there your turn now!

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#2    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

as far as seen, lance aux medows in new found land were the vikings landed and made dirt mound shelters, ive also found arrow heads in my woods
ive seen a legit roman gladius, my neighbor 2km down found an actual sword on his land a sabre but i could be mistaken

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#3    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

    Secret Jesus

  • Member
  • 3,089 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I have a fragment of a 9th century Viking sword that I got from an uncle who was involved in a local archeological dig of a Viking settlement not far from where I live.  It's a rather boring looking rusty piece of flat iron, but the Viking experts who worked on the site overseeing the dig have determined that it is indeed from the blade of a 9th century Viking sword.

Edited by JesseCuster, 22 June 2013 - 01:09 AM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#4    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostJesseCuster, on 22 June 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

I have a fragment of a 9th century Viking sword that I got from an uncle who was involved in a local archeological dig of a Viking settlement not far from where I live.  It's a rather boring looking rusty piece of flat iron, but the Viking experts who worked on the site overseeing the dig have determined that it is indeed from the blade of a 9th century Viking sword.
intense thats awsome! may look dull but it has alot of history to it

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,775 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

the jawbone of a Marsupial Lion.
We were on a "dig" with the Queensland Museum (basically "lets take a bunch of civilians out to the Darling Downs, let them scrabble around in the mud for a bit and take them home") and we ambled along the creek bank, mum said "dig here" and we stuck the pocket knife in and hit petrified bone. Up until the recent renovations at the museum the jawbone was actually on display there.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 22 June 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

the jawbone of a Marsupial Lion.
We were on a "dig" with the Queensland Museum (basically "lets take a bunch of civilians out to the Darling Downs, let them scrabble around in the mud for a bit and take them home") and we ambled along the creek bank, mum said "dig here" and we stuck the pocket knife in and hit petrified bone. Up until the recent renovations at the museum the jawbone was actually on display there.
oh wow thats truley amazing, you didnt want to keep it?

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#7    jules99

jules99

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Joined:07 Oct 2009

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

Im always going to garage sales, because you never know what will turn up. I remember 1 in particular, because there was so much for sale, fine china, art works etc and as I walked along I noticed a stick and a rock for $5.00. And kept walking. The person behind me picked them up and asked the old man in charge of the sale about them. The old man told a story told him as a child, that his grandfather long ago was stationed in an army barracks and was encouraged to befriend and trade with the natives. It was a stone axe head and nulla nulla. Of course The person bought them, though he let me look at the nulla nulla. It was weird in that it had an indent where your thumb went and when you held it, it felt so smooth, comfortable and balanced it was like an extension of your arm. It was the first time I had seen and handled a genuine Aboriginal artefact.

Edited by jules99, 24 June 2013 - 11:39 PM.


#8    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

View Postjules99, on 24 June 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

Im always going to garage sales, because you never know what will turn up. I remember 1 in particular, because there was so much for sale, fine china, art works etc and as I walked along I noticed a stick and a rock for $5.00. And kept walking. The person behind me picked them up and asked the old man in charge of the sale about them. The old man told a story told him as a child, that his grandfather long ago was stationed in an army barracks and was encouraged to befriend and trade with the natives. It was a stone axe head and nulla nulla. Of course The person bought them, though he let me look at the nulla nulla. It was weird in that it had an indent where your thumb went and when you held it, it felt so smooth, comfortable and balanced it was like an extension of your arm. It was the first time I had seen and handled a genuine Aboriginal artefact.
amazing and yes your right! i remember seeing a special on a woman who baught a painting for like 5 bucks or something ridiculus like that and it ended up being an early leonardo divinci or something worth millions, got to keep an eye open for things like that at garage sales you could find some great treasures! but great post jules

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#9    Maureen_jacobs

Maureen_jacobs

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

Found an old Churt Arrowhead 18 inches down that belonged to the Timucuan Indians.

@maureen_jacobs ~ twitter

#10    Maureen_jacobs

Maureen_jacobs

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Joined:16 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Said Arrowhead made of Churt.

Attached Files


@maureen_jacobs ~ twitter

#11    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:08 AM

View PostMaureen_jacobs, on 25 June 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

Said Arrowhead made of Churt.
amazing! thats a gorgeos artifact and a gorgeos kitty! XD thats pretty similar to the heads i found, ill be metal dedecting this summer if you guys want me to post my findings send me a pm or reply to this post

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#12    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

i do remember one of my friends baught a sword from the crusades at a garage sale turned out to be worth a ton

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#13    lightly

lightly

    metaphysical therapist

  • Member
  • 6,066 posts
  • Joined:01 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan U.S.A.

  • "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

I inherited a six sided tray/plaque thingy and a box that my Ma's   Ma & Dad bought in Cairo, ( i think )  Not sure if it's Egyptian or Syrian ..  from that neck of the woods though.   The inlays are extremely intricate  ...   Thousands of tiny bits of ivory, pearl, and woods ...  must have taken a very long time.  

The inlays  are similar to this>  Attached File  antique_syrian_islamic_micro_mosaic_inlaid_wood_jewellery_box_c1900_1_thumb2_lgw.jpg   21.93K   6 downloads



Oh,  and i've found lots of fossils in the limestone here in Michigan.   .. found a fairly old Peso in the S. California desert once !   Someday i'll find something really cool  i just know it.  lol

Edited by lightly, 25 June 2013 - 12:44 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#14    kannin

kannin

    Punisher of the wicked

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:04 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:canada

  • the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

View Postlightly, on 25 June 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

I inherited a six sided tray/plaque thingy and a box that my Ma's   Ma & Dad bought in Cairo, ( i think )  Not sure if it's Egyptian or Syrian ..  from that neck of the woods though.   The inlays are extremely intricate  ...   Thousands of tiny bits of ivory, pearl, and woods ...  must have taken a very long time.  

The inlays  are similar to this>  Attachment antique_syrian_islamic_micro_mosaic_inlaid_wood_jewellery_box_c1900_1_thumb2_lgw.jpg



Oh,  and i've found lots of fossils in the limestone here in Michigan.   .. found a fairly old Peso in the S. California desert once !   Someday i'll find something really cool  i just know it.  lol
thats one of the prettiest things ive ever seen! your so lucky to have it in your possesion! and when you do find that one special thing be sure to post it! lol yea and i was pretty stoke when i found my coin as well but i think the ring was my fav find so far gave it to my wife when i proposed to her lol im cheap i know but its worth quet a bit and it saved me quet a bit and has history so she loved it

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#15    Swede

Swede

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,410 posts
  • Joined:30 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

View PostMaureen_jacobs, on 25 June 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

Said Arrowhead made of Churt.

Note: Chert.

.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users