Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mayan calendar - world doesn't end in 2012

Waspie_Dwarf

Mayan art and calendar at Xultunstunarchaeologists

Archaeologists working at the Xultun ruins of the Mayan civilisation have reported striking finds, including the oldest-known Mayan astronomical tables.

The site, in Guatemala, includes the first known instance of Mayan art painted on the walls of a dwelling.

A report in Science says it dates from the early 9th Century, pre-dating other Mayan calendars by centuries.

Such calendars rose to prominence recently amid claims they predicted the end of the world in 2012.

The Mayan civilisation occupied Central America from about 2000BC until its decline and assimilation following the colonisation by the Spanish from the 15th Century onwards. It still holds fascination, with many early Mayan sites still hidden or uncatalogued.

The ruins at Xultun were first discovered in 1912 and mapping efforts in the 1920s and 1970s laid out much of the site's structure.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Contrary to some theories, there was no sign that the Mayan calendar ended abruptly in 2012.

The hieroglyphs date to about AD814, making them considerably older than the Dresden codex, an 11th- or 12th-century Mayan book written on bark paper, which found its way to the Royal Library at Dresden in 1739. The Mayans kept detailed records of the heavens and tied traditional ceremonies to these celestial events.

"This is certainly our oldest Mayan astronomical table. It's the only one we have from the classical period. It's also the first time we get to look inside a scribe or astronomer's house and see the writing on the wall," Saturno told the Guardian. More enigmatic charts on the north wall appear to represent the 365-day solar calendar, the 584-day cycle of Venus and the 780-day cycle of Mars.

"They were keen on keeping track of all planetary motions. They liked to anchor the events of their lives in cosmic terms. What comes around today will repeat again in the future and is a symbol of what happened in the distant past," Saturno added.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/may/10/mayan-astronomical-charts-guatemalan-jungle

• Like 1

I always find anything about the Mayan's fascinating. I think there is many ancient artifacts we have interperted wrong. I am glad to learn the world isn't coming to a end just before Christmas. :clap:

• Like 1

Maya lunar calendar notes discovered in Guatemala

By Deborah Zabarenko

WASHINGTON | Thu May 10, 2012 3:44pm EDT

(Reuters) - On the wall of a tiny structure buried under forest debris in Guatemala, archaeologists have discovered a scribe's notes about the Maya lunar calendar, which they say could be the first known records by an official chronicler of this ancient civilization.

These notes pertain to the same Maya calendar that is sometimes erroneously thought to predict the world's end on or about December 22, 2012. The researchers who helped uncover and decipher the wall's inscriptions said the Maya calendar foresaw a vast progression of time, with the December 2012 date the beginning of a new calendar cycle called a baktun.

"They were looking at the way these cycles were turning," said William Saturno of Boston University, an author of an article on the find in the journal Science. "The Maya calendar is going to keep going and keep going for billions, trillions, octillions of years into the future, a huge number that we can't even wrap our heads around."

Full Article

Cz

Very nice.

Finding rare records of a civilization when it was believed that no more records survived had to be quite a feather in the caps of the archaeologists responsible.

Published: May 10, 2012 By: JENNIE COHEN

Oldest Known Mayan Calendar Debunks December 2012 Myth

Archaeologists excavating at Xultún, a Maya site in Guatemala, have discovered a room thought to have served as a workshop for scribes and calendar priests more than 1,200 years ago. Its walls are adorned with remarkably preserved paintings and writing, including calculations related to the Mayan calendar. The scrawled numbers confirm what experts have been proclaiming for years: the Mayan calendar does not predict that the world will end on December 21, 2012.

Article: http://www.history.com/news/2012/05/10/ancient-maya-calendar-calculations-found-on-dwelling-walls/

i dont believe anything about this new calendar..... they found over a dozens of calendars . and in all those calendars it ends on 21. 12 ..12 ... and now the time is near .. they found 1 calendar that is older, so it debunks all the other calendars? i smell something . !

funny i am not gullible enuogh to believe .. . you know a few months ago .. the news in the netherlands.. they said.. that the world doesnt end on 21.12.12 because .. they made a mistake.. with the calculations. its not 2012 but 2212 ..

and now this... ..

uhhhhhh sureeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Anybody who has done five minutes of independent research on the topic should know this already. Every notable expert on Mayan culture has laughed at this apocalyptic scenario because it is completely fabricated. Don't believe everything you watch on History Channel.

Anybody who has done five minutes of independent research on the topic should know this already. Every notable expert on Mayan culture has laughed at this apocalyptic scenario because it is completely fabricated. Don't believe everything you watch on History Channel.

I would think that if the world was going to end, it would have in 2000. But it didnt. The world was suppose to end 50 other times in modern history, 11-11-11 just to name one date. It was also suppose to end last May of 2011 according to the fellow who approached my family and I while we were at a fair and exclaimed that the "RAPTURE" was coming. I also saw the coming of this "RAPTURE" displayed on the back of the Mercedes and Escalades of the ministers who apparently convinced their followers to donate to the "church" for the upcoming event. Needless to say, they were probably dissapointed. Once one of these dates hits the web, the media gets a hold of it, and uses it to envoke paranoia, which then creates awful shows like Doomsday Preppers, where the only thing that a family does is live in paranoia or prepare for the end, instead of enjoying their time together. If the end does come in some catastrophic way, no one will know, but if we did find out ahead of time, I hope we would all enjoy each others company instead of watching John Cusak freak out in the movie "2012"

i dont believe anything about this new calendar..... they found over a dozens of calendars . and in all those calendars it ends on 21. 12 ..12 ... and now the time is near .. they found 1 calendar that is older, so it debunks all the other calendars? i smell something . !

funny i am not gullible enuogh to believe .. . you know a few months ago .. the news in the netherlands.. they said.. that the world doesnt end on 21.12.12 because .. they made a mistake.. with the calculations. its not 2012 but 2212 ..

and now this... ..

uhhhhhh sureeeeeeeeeeeeee !

It's annoying, folk are scrambling to find anything that can debunk the 2012 stuff, when there's nothing to debunk, the particular mayan calendar that ends in 2012 is accurate, the calendar concludes on the winter solstice, but it's a calendar system, not a prophecy. It's a massive leap of logic for people think that if a calendar ends it must mean the world ends, they must go into a irrational panic every December 31st.

Finding this other calendar is like finding a copy of the Julian Calendar system and thinking it somehow "debunks" the Gregorian Calendar system, makes no sense, all it shows is that there were previous versions of the calendar system they went on to use, it was created over time, so this would've been expected.

See? I knew the world wouldn't end in 2012.

DARN IT!!!!! I planned my whole life around the fact that the world would end 12/21/2012. If this is true I will be totaly broke starting on 12/22/2012. Now taking donations.

@WhyDontYouBeleiveMe - You say your not gullible enough to beleive the new calander finding, but it sounds like you are gullbilen enough to beleive that the world will end this year. This whole Mayan Calander thing is ridiculous at best.

I guess this means I don't have to build my human faraday cages anymore? :)

Ridiculous end of days talk aside, I'm curious how the archaeologist came to these conclusions exactly (in bold):

"The ancient Maya predicted the world would continue, that 7,000 years from now, things would be exactly like this," he said.

"We keep looking for endings. The Maya were looking for a guarantee that nothing would change. It's an entirely different mindset."

edit: It made the quote microscopic all of a sudden! lol

Edited by _Only

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

In 2013 someone will pull a new date out of their a$$, and the stupid people of the world will run headlong towards their doom once more.

It's always good to have an exit strategy.

I can't wait for the Documentary to be released in August. Its called Mayan Revelations and Beyond by Juan Carlos Ruflo. I'm assuming it might have something to do with this new discovery.

I do find it amazing that ancient civilizations had a way of predicting the future and a way to explore the solar system without the technology we use today? There were many of them that had great awareness of the solar system.

The Mayan's... Samarian's... and Egyptian's were very advanced for their time period. All of it is so cool! I wish I could have been an archaeologist! Loved all of the Indiana Jones movies. Can a 35 yr old man still do it? lol

although it dose point to the world hitting a collapse if u wanted to belive what the myans are saying because it works in cycles we should be going back to the beggining very shortly..if u belive in that kind of thing that is

This "story" is BOGUS...There are only four Mayan texts in current possession of the Academic world..One was added sometime last year which is I'm guessing what prompted this Bogus report..Anyhow, The Mayan were in fact looking for Endings as this was always the focus of their calendars, both short, round, and long count..They sought the natural cycles of the stars and of nature itself..In fact if an event was predicted was not on course the Mayan would in fact become "Self-Fulfilling Prophets" to ensure the cycle was followed..As far as the 2012 date I don't think it means the end of the world; However, it will mark a very tumultuous ending to a long cycle..The last days of their cycles typically even went un-named they were so dreaded..Beginning with the Venus retrograde across the face of the sun (July) and ending Winter Solstice 2012 many Nations will be in a severe love-hate scenario that will lay the groundwork for how mild, bad, or worse the last 10 days of this year and cycle will be..and of course it's marking of Grand Precession goes w/o saying as it's the Motherload of all Cycles in the Universe!

i think this find is fabricated. it sounds like there just trying to avoid mass histaria and global anarchy.

i think this find is fabricated. it sounds like there just trying to avoid mass histaria and global anarchy.

Well I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to find that hilarious.

Fabricating a fake find to combat potential global anarchy and chaos. :rolleyes::lol:

i'm just saying it sounds a little strange that they "find" this clock right when people are more worried about the subject then ever. but if you want to believe what the goverment tell you then go ahead.......its not like the goverment has lied before.