Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Killer picks electric chair over needle

__Kratos__

A death row inmate set for execution next week for the rape and murder of a young mother has chosen to die in the electric chair, the Virginia Department of Corrections said Wednesday.

Barring intervention from the U.S. Supreme Court or Gov. Timothy M. Kaine, Brandon Hedrick, 27, would be the first person in the United States to die by electrocution in more than two years.

The federal government and most states that allow capital punishment use lethal injection rather than electrocution because it is considered more humane.

A 2005 study raised serious questions about whether a painkiller used in the executions can wear off before the prisoner dies. The U.S. Supreme Court last month also made it easier for death row inmates to contest lethal injections by allowing them to make special federal court claims that is cruel and unusual punishment.

Inmates on Virginia's death have the option of choosing to die by injection or electrocution. Earl Bramblett, convicted of murdering a Roanoke couple and their two young daughters, was the last Virginian to die in the electric chair, in 2003.

Hedrick is to be electrocuted July 20 for the 1997 slaying of Lisa Crider, 23, in Appomattox County.

He was sentenced to death in 1998 after being convicted of abducting, raping and shooting Crider in the face with a shotgun on a remote bank of the James River.

A co-defendant, Trevor Jones, was sentenced to life in prison.

Source

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if they butter him up before they fry him? :P

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Idriss

• A+Certified

• Brian McMalley

• Tooth_and_Claw

:D

I hope it hurts.

First to be electrocuted in two years. I wonder why that's such a big deal?

Did you know they give you an alcohol swab before the lethal injection? Is that supposed to prevent that "last minute infection?"

they do that becuase the governer might still call after the injection. i think it takes about 2 minutes to die fro, thre injection

i would prefer the lethal injection, at least it would be painless

i would prefer the lethal injection, at least it would be painless

yeah but wouldnt u slowly die and u know ur dying and theres nuthin u can do

with the chair dont u die quick :wacko:

Cannot believe anyone would administer a pain killer before the electric chair, in order to treat a barbaric animal who robbed someone else of his life, 'humanely'.

Because they are still people nonetheless.

Although if I had to choose a way to be executed- beheading by a train, theres a lot of reasons behind that.

Lethal injection supposedly isn't painless at all. What they do is give you three drugs, the first puts you into a comalike state, it is Sodium thiopental, a barbituate.

The second drug is Pancuronium bromide, whihc paralyzes the muscles all throughout the body, it is supposedly incredibly painful and many times the perosn to be executed can still register this pain because the Sodium thiopental has not completely taken effect.

The third drug is Potassium chloride, which is an electrolyte, it is administered in such a large amount that it interferes with the electrical impulses of the heart and the perosn then dies.

The U.S. Supreme Court last month also made it easier for death row inmates to contest lethal injections by allowing them to make special federal court claims that is cruel and unusual punishment.

More tax dollars wasted on appeals. :no::no:

hmm...they both sound like SO much fun. i guess the needle would be my death :hmm:

Although seemingly unnecesary for sterilization before a lethal injection, I would assume it is used as a safety precaution for people who will have to later handle the body. No doubt they've acquired a disease or two in prison!