Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Advocates want free bus service----

BiffSplitkins

Albany, NY — Advocates for nearly 56,000 New York inmates and their families have urged the state to resume free bus service to its prisons, saying visits have dropped since it was discontinued last year and the savings of $1.5 million doesn’t justify the social cost.

In a report earlier this year, the Vera Institute of Justice cited a Washington state corrections study showing prisoners who received regular family visits were six times less likely to commit prison violations. The institute also pointed to a 2010 research paper in the journal Sociology Compass showing that children who visit incarcerated parents have higher self-esteem and IQ scores and fewer behavioral problems than those who don’t.

Maxine King said she now has to pay $80 for rides to visit monthly and hasn’t been able to afford bringing her three youngest children, all teenagers, to see their father since the free bus stopped. They used to get on it about every three months because it was always full leaving New York City. The trip to Attica was overnight.

READ MORE

RE-INSTATED???? I didn't even know about this in the first place. 1.5 million dollars could pay for a much more needed service.

LOL joke,

There the ones who commit the crime and now making demands, rubbish.

Probs get it on a BS human rights crap.

If we can get more bankers, politicans, etc inside then they might do it then

Thanks,

• Like 1

Why should tax payers pay for this? Taxpayers didn't force you to commit the crime.

• Like 2

Can't do the Time? Then don't do the Crime! Gearu!

• Like 1

I just wonder how many other of these 1.5 million dollar programs they have that I don't know about.

• Like 1

I just wonder how many other of these 1.5 million dollar programs they have that I don't know about.

I'll bet there's a few of those over here too, mate!

• Like 1

They did the crime. We are paying for their prison term to be fed and housed. Now the families want a free bus ride. Make the inmates work and pay for the meals and bed and medical. That work to pay for the buses. I think prison need to revert back to the 1900. Nothing but 3 meals and a cot. Chains gangs cleaning the roadways. Have them to work off their time. Screw all this free crap.

• Like 1

They did the crime. We are paying for their prison term to be fed and housed. Now the families want a free bus ride. Make the inmates work and pay for the meals and bed and medical. That work to pay for the buses. I think prison need to revert back to the 1900. Nothing but 3 meals and a cot. Chains gangs cleaning the roadways. Have them to work off their time. Screw all this free crap.

During my few years living in central Mississippi I regularly saw inmates cleaning the roadways. Bad checks and non violent drug offenders mostly. I think it helped them get out early if they volunteered for the duty. As for inmate visits...skype costs a lot less than 1.5 million.
  • Like 1

Found this incredible report on incarceration statistics in the US. It breaks things down pretty well too.

In 2008, federal, state, and local governments spent nearly $75 billion on corrections, with the large

majority on incarceration.