Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Billionaires should be allowed to buy planets

Still Waters

Private companies should be able to buy land on The Moon or other planets for tourism, mining or even to sell property, a space policy expert has said.

Rand Simberg said that if governments started to provide property rights then entrepreneurs and billionaires might pile in and invest - and added that the 'time is ripe'.

He has proposed a law that would circumvent the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which states no individual or government can have sovereignty over any body in space.

arrow3.gifRead more...

O_O

Are they kidding ?

Hypothetical,lets just say the Talessian Tentacle People live on planet X,and Bill Gates decides to buy it.

Who does he pay ?

The Talessian Tentacle People,(who have a fondness for human liver paté ,with some fava beans),or some agency here on earth,who own nothing in space ?

Will there then be space wars over lands we dont own ?

I mean who is the landlord of the moon ?

Does the USA own it,Russia ?

The only thing ripe, is the brain of the moron who thought up this idea .

Space stations I get,but a planet ?

May the Talessians dine heartily on Bill Gates hepatic sweet meats.

O_O

Are they kidding ?

Hypothetical,lets just say the Talessian Tentacle People live on planet X,and Bill Gates decides to buy it.

Who does he pay ?

The Talessian Tentacle People,(who have a fondness for human liver paté ,with some fava beans),or some agency here on earth,who own nothing in space ?

Will there then be space wars over lands we dont own ?

I mean who is the landlord of the moon ?

Does the USA own it,Russia ?

The only thing ripe, is the brain of the moron who thought up this idea .

Space stations I get,but a planet ?

May the Talessians dine heartily on Bill Gates hepatic sweet meats.

Not only that, but what about if this planet negatively affects Earth in some way... should we be allowed to sue them for it? This is just like that story of this one lady that claimed she bought the sun. Should she be sued for skin cancer and solar flares that disrupt satellite activity? The billionaire would soon be broke...

Peaceful, multi-national colonization is one thing, but sovereign ownership is quite another.

Sure why not, after all they've raped and plundered the Earth lets set them free on another planet.

I'll sell you all some moon right now! £20.00 per square meter. I own it just as much as anyone else.

The question is: from whom?

• Like 1

That was exactly the question I was going to ask. As no nation is legal allowed to own a celestial body I don't see how any government can regulate such a business. Who determines which company owns the right to sell planets? This is as meaningless as saying billionaires should be allowed to buy the sky.

• Like 1

I could see the relevance to say the moon or various asteroids. Even other planets and moons in our star system for various ores and other resources if for no other reason than to catapult the private sector into space and finally giving us a chance to permanently get off world.

On the other hand, it's absolutely ridiculous. As has been stated, who would one be buying these properties from in the first place? And what happens if, say, Europa does indeed have a sea full of life under its ice? Do we start importing creatures from Europa's oceans to fancy restaurants? Hmmm.... that could be interesting. I'd eat me some space fish.

They should have to have stepped on the terra they are purchasing before it can be sold. Honestly though. Seriously consider the cause and effect of this situation. Do we need more to argue about with other countries. Keep the treaty of non ownership rights to anything in space. Let the billionaire build a space station and own thar instead.

From me or possibly you or whoever. I'm also selling real estate on Pluto right now! 10% discount if you introduce a friend!! Remember what happened to prices of land on Jupiter!! Some people made million$$$!

(Contact directly to 'purchase' a dolphin or orphaned gorilla*)

Terms and conditions apply.

* Monthly subscription required.

++___***LIMITED TIME ONLY - MAKE $$$$$***___++

Once in a lifetime opportunity!

Buy 10 plots on Jupiter now to receive 2 'free'** to sell and get commission!

THAT'S RIGHT! We will PAY YOU commission to sell plots of Jupiter to your friends and family! For every ten they own they can sell 2 to their friends for 'free'**. etc.

** Tax and 14.9% administration charge applicable. Also £3.99 postage for relevant paperwork† applied on sale.

† All paperwork is electronic only and will be sent by email.

Disclamer.

All property is wholly owned by respected parties. We do not own any actual land or shared land anywhere. We simply provide non legal paperwork.

If a bunch of billionaires want to club together and go mining on the moon, who , or what is to stop them?

They wouldnt have to buy the land on the moon because, as has been said, nobody owns it! Just get up there and stake a claim :)

I'll sell you all some moon right now! £20.00 per square meter. I own it just as much as anyone else.

Now see here,I already own the moon......and I'm selling it for 750$ per square meter.

Put up you're fist a cuffs !

I shalst fight you for it !

Now see here,I already own the moon......and I'm selling it for 750$ per square meter.

Put up you're fist a cuffs !

I shalst fight you for it !

I think 750$ per sq. foot is rather high for cheese. And it is not as good as a mature English Cheddar anyway :)

There is a guy who sold plots on the moon and in now a millionaire because of it. You go to his website and buy a plot and a certificate is sent to you in the mail. Two former American presidents have bought a site on the moon. He is literally a millionaire because he sold imagination, an idea. There was a woman in spain who legally claimed the sun some how and wanted to charge the world for the use of the sun, what she didn't think through was that people could sue her for getting skin cancer. All this **** is completely retarded. If there was something of real value like a substance to provide energy like helium 3 on the moon which can be used as a more stable gas in nuclear fission then America certainly won't be buying it. They'd kill anyone else trying to get it first and protect it from anyone else. If they do that well then they own it. You put a random barrier around anything then claim that, it's yours. If you can do that, keep telling people it's yours and protect it then people will think it's yours. It's no more yours than it is mine. It's nobody property.

You think you own that dog? it's a novelty of the ego. Banks suck you dry of the concept of ownership. They are like that **** of a kid who makes up random rules in his own favor because he too lazy and stubborn to play the rules of the game everyone is playing. The banks just add interest on borrowed money. Loan money away and make more when it comes back. Economics is just an over complicated game of monopoly that people take too seriously. Some people commit suicide because of it. It's ****ing ridiculous. There is no money. Utilize the positives of money can bring, the negative don't exist.

I'll buy a land on Jupiter.

Anybody here has experitse in building houses on 10 000 K liquid metallic hydrogen and 200 GPa of atmospheric pressure?

I guess I'll need a good air filter. Damn methane and ammonia. Don't want to breath on that stuff. It could be dangerous.

That is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard. The planets if they are habitable are most likely all read owned by their inhabitants. It is like haveing an alien lay claim to OUR planet, as they 'Purchased' it, and probably decided the native inhabitants are in the way of the wealth they could get from this planet, and we are conveniently exterminated. I doubt aliens on other planets give a toot about earthling laying claim on their world, and those rich bozos would probably end up in their zoo or lunch for some alien beast.

Just who will be the seller? I think the more money some have the less their braincells become.

how arrogant humans are.

I wholly agree with you.

"There's a sucker born every minute." (attributed to P.T. Barnum)

I think it's funny. We think that we are so goddamned powerful, so unstoppable, that we can lay claim to anything we wish.

I fear the day (if it comes) when an extraterrestrial civilization much more powerful and technologically advanced than our own completely mops the floor with our primitive technologies.

Edited by Alienated Being

buying is not an issue if we as individual can fly to other planets.......as long we arrive there first