Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The MacKenzie Poltergeist

UM-Bot

Matt Forde: In December of 1998, a homeless man wandered through Edinburgh’s storm-lashed streets. Seeking shelter from the night’s downpour he staggered into Greyfriars Kirkyard and broke into one of the old mausoleums in the Covenanter’s Prison section—no doubt attracted by its intact roof. Inside, the vault was pitch-black and the brave (or foolhardy) vagrant decided to explore his surroundings with what meagre light he possessed. He removed an iron grate in the floor and descended a short, twisting, stone staircase and entered a second chamber. There, he came across four wooden coffins. Perhaps looking for valuables to steal, the man began to smash open the dusty caskets.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xanthurion2

• ladygrim

• Blueguardian

• Time Turner

that is a great story very spooky. i would like to go check the place out

Me too, I'd be taking all the precautions I could though before going in whether it means praying to whatever faith you believe in for protection or even envisioning yourself in a white light, whatever it takes to lessen the chance of being attacked, or worse having someone you care about being hurt, nonetheless the activity seems almost demonic in nature.

i came across this place by accident when i was in Edinburgh i visited the grey friars grave and took a walk around the graveyard and there's a whole section locked up it looks eerie i would like to visit there at night :) i Googled it when i got home and was fascinated with it it really is creepy.

I have the book mentioned in the article and written by Jan-Andrew Henderson. It's a fantastic read about how Mr Henderson started the tour company and is interspersed with letters sent to him by people who took the tour and had an experience while on the tour or shortly thereafter. He also covers a possible explanation as to what's really happening to people when they believe they're being attacked by a ghost.

So, if the security guard didn't know what he saw was the vagrant, and the vagrant was never seen or heard of again, then how do we know of the vagrant at all?

What's the difference between a homeless man wandering through a graveyard and a corpse coming back to life?

MacKenzie's Tomb (very good question however-lol)

Edited by devilmaycare

• 3 months later...

Fantastic read. Well written and compelling. Next time I'm in the area I'll most certainly be stopping by

So, if the security guard didn't know what he saw was the vagrant, and the vagrant was never seen or heard of again, then how do we know of the vagrant at all?

Good point...and how did he know he began to smash open some of the caskets. Did the security guard maybe hear him and later they pieced together pieces of the puzzle? Like someone saw the vagrant go in and they later pieced it together? Anyway, good thinking.

Edited by Gummug

• 2 months later...

Could be the security guard heard the noises coming from the tomb.Later , the people this guard worked for could have checked out the tomb, and then discovered the smashed coffins.probably looking for old jewelery to sell.It may be that when he broke into the third chamber, that caused the haunting, rather than it was Bluidy mackenzie himself haunting the area and causing havoc.Don't know, and I have no desire to go on such a tour.