Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

South African gold mine sacks 8,500 strikers

Render

More than 8,000 striking South African gold miners have been sacked after refusing to return to work, mine owners say.

Gold Fields said workers at the KDC East mine had ignored a final deadline set for 16:00 (14:00 GMT).

Last week, some 11,000 miners at Gold Fields' KDC West mine heeded a company ultimatum and returned to work.

South Africa's mining sector has been hit by a wave of recent unrest which has left almost 50 people dead.

Most strikes have been over pay, although the stoppage at KDC East - at Carletonville west of Johannesburg - relates to a local trade union dispute not wages.

"All 8,500 people who were on strike did not come back," spokesman Sven Lunsche told AFP news agency.

"They did not return to work, so we have issued dismissal letters to all of them."

He said the miners had 24 hours to appeal against their dismissal.

"We have now reached a stage where we can't hold off any more. Our hands were forced and we have now done it," Mr Lunsche said.

"We are monitoring the situation very closely and have police on standby but it has been very quiet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-20043195

They've been having some pretty violent encounters between police and miners. Sad situation, there's been many deaths or murders.

• 2 weeks later...

These people work for an absolute pittance. And those making millions from their hard labour see that as the way things should be. Gina Reinhardt is a horrible human being who does not believe in human rights, and has invested much in africa. She had this to say about Australian Workers.

Mining tycoon Gina Rinehart said it is becoming too costly for multinational companies who could hire workers for two dollars a day in Africa.

The 58-year-old said in a video address yesterday that businesses are forced to look to other nations as the price for Australian labour is too high, something which was immediately criticised by Prime Minister Julia Gillard.

This pig of a woman is one of the reasons that Africa is in the state it is in. The rich will stay rich and the poor will be worked to death, but according to Gina, that is competitiveness! There needs to be some International law in place to curb low life like this from rorting lesser developed countries.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Africa IS the gold mine of the planet. It's basically untouched by modern man. ....just wait and see.

• 1 month later...

S Africa mining firm 'arrogant'

A South African official has called the world's biggest platinum producer "arrogant" after it announced plans to cut 14,000 jobs and shut four shafts.

Mining Minister Susan Shabangu said Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) had not consulted properly with the government on the production cuts.

As a result, it was putting its mining licence in jeopardy, she told South African radio.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21045855