Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top US General Says Surge is Working

supercar

Report: Top US general in Iraq says troop surge is working

Associated Press

Published: August 31, 2007

America's troop surge in Iraq has sharply reduced sectarian killings and roadside bombings and lowered al-Qaida's influence, the top U.S. general in the country said in an interview published Friday.

"We say we have achieved progress, and we are obviously going to do everything we can to build on that progress and we believe al-Qaida is off balance at the very least," The Australian newspaper quoted Gen. David Petraeus as saying.

Petraeus said there had been a 75 percent drop in ethnic and religious killings since last year, a doubling in the number of seizures of insurgent weapons caches between January and August, a drop in the number of coalition deaths from roadside bombs, and an increase in the killing and capture of al-Qaida fighters, the newspaper said.

The rise in al-Qaida "kills and captures" had caused the group to lose influence with Sunni Muslims, it quoted the general as saying.

Petraeus said the surge, in which an additional 20,000 troops were deployed in Iraq, would continue for several more months and the troop level would then be phased down, the newspaper said. He said the U.S.-led coalition would attempt to hold onto all the gains that had been made.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/31/...aq-Petraeus.php

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supercar

• Unlimited

• questionmark

• Cradle of Fish

Top Posters In This Topic

then how do you explain the record number of civilians killed?... :hmm:

Shut your mouth its working because some guy says so, dont let the facts convince you otherwise.

Shut your mouth its working because some guy says so, dont let the facts convince you otherwise.

Right, besides all with other opinions are to report to Guantanamo immediately!

Right, besides all with other opinions are to report to Guantanamo immediately!

And dont let people get the idea that the US is a free country, on the contrary, dissenters are free to leave or free to shut up.

who believes anything they say about this so called war anyway? all we have gotten from the beginning is misinformed opinions and bad choices concerning the direction the war is taking. so does any one really know if we are at war or just policeing an internal conflict of a country that has no use or need for our ways or means of dealing with civil unrest

Edited by wolfieboy

It's all just politics in which gw bush has to look right...he's only been lying to us for 4 years ..I believe him now... :wacko:

It's all just politics in which gw bush has to look right...he's only been lying to us for 4 years ..I believe him now... :wacko:

Bush lied about Iraq?

Look at what Democratic Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said:

'Saddam certainly has chemical and biological weapons' - Nancy Pelosi,November 17,2002

Looks like the top Democrat in Congress 'lied'.

You can see a video of Pelosi and other leading Democrats saying Saddam has WMD in this video at YOUTUBE.COM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePb6H-j51xE

Here's a frame grab from the video:

linked-image

Bush lied about Iraq?

'Saddam certainly has chemical and biological weapons' - Nancy Pelosi,November 17,2002

You can see a video of Pelosi and other leading Democrats saying Saddam has WMD in this video at YOUTUBE.COM:

linked-image

number one what does pelosi know about iraq?...number two bush has lied about the war thruout...mission accomplished ...remember?

number one what does pelosi know about iraq?...number two bush has lied about the war thruout...mission accomplished ...remember?

Nononono! you got it all wrong, that was about him managing to cut his toenails without injury!!!

Pelosi is second in line to the Presidency.

and they are both possible war criminals..so what?...the congress is dirty in this too..

I have already proven you don't know what a war crime is,and you don't know what a Greek tragedy is,and you don't know Genocde is.

and i've proven that bush made up a pack of lies to take over a country...and thats not a crime ?...in my book it is..

and i've proven that bush made up a pack of lies to take over a country...and thats not a crime ?...in my book it is..

Do you have anything substantive to add to this discussion,or are you just going to try to contradict and oppose everything I post.

I have already proven you don't know what a war crime is,and you don't know what a Greek tragedy is,and you don't know Genocde is.

Might be, but you seem to ignore that in the Nuremberg principles there was also something called "Crime against Peace":

In 1950, the Nuremberg Tribunal defined Crimes against Peace (in Principle VI.a, submitted to the United Nations General Assembly) as

(i) Planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances;

(ii) Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the acts mentioned under (i).

Source

Do you have anything substantive to add to this discussion,or are you just going to try to contradict and oppose everything I post.

yes the bush administration is being looked at for possible war crimes..have a nice day..

Might be, but you seem to ignore that in the Nuremberg principles there was also something called "Crime against Peace":

In 1950, the Nuremberg Tribunal defined Crimes against Peace (in Principle VI.a, submitted to the United Nations General Assembly) as

(i) Planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances;

(ii) Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the acts mentioned under (i).

Source

The radical Muslims have been waging an undeclared War Of Aggression against the United States since 1970:

In September 1970 three jet aircraft bound for New York City were hijacked by terrorists and later blown up at a remote airstrip in Jordan.

September 1972, terrorists take 11 Israeli athletes hostage during the Munich Olympics. All 11 Israelis and a German policeman are killed.

In November of 1979, radical Iranians seized the U.S. Embassy in

Tehran, holding 53 American hostages for 444 days.

Less than four years later, 63 people died when the U.S. Embassy in

Beirut is bombed.

Scant months later, 242 Americans and 58 French are killed by

simultaneous suicide bombers in the American and French compounds in

Beirut.

March 1984, Islamic terrorists kidnapped and murdered Political

Officer William Buckley.

One year later, terrorists seized the Italian cruise liner the

Achille Lauro and killed Leon Klinghoffer, a 69-year-old American who

was confined to a wheelchair.

In June of 1985, Lebanese Hizballah terrorists hijacked a TWA flight

forcing the plane to fly to Beirut. Eight crew members and 145

passengers are held hostage for 17 days, during which time a U.S.

sailor is murdered.

December 1985 terrorists make simultaneous attacks on the international airports in Rome and Vienna.

18 people are killed.

April 1986, two U.S. soldiers are killed and 79 are injured when

Libyan nationals detonated bombs in a West Berlin discotheque.

Two years later, Libyans again take American lives when Pan Am Flight

103 exploded over Lockerbie, Scotland. All of the 259 people on board

are killed.

On February 26, 1993, for the first time, Islamic terrorists strike

on American soil when a car bomb explodes in the garage of the World

Trade Center, killing six and injuring 1,000.

On April 14, 1993, Iraqi intelligence operatives attempted to

assassinate former President Bush.

In 1995, a car bomb exploded at a U.S. military complex in Riyadh,

Saudi Arabia, one U.S. citizen is killed.

Seven months later a truck bomb detonated outside the Khobar Towers

in Dhahram, Saudi Arabia. Nineteen Airmen are killed and 515 people are

wounded.

In August of 1998, the U.S. Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania fall

victim to coordinated attacks. Over 300 are killed.

Two years latter, a small watercraft laden with explosives rammed

into the U.S.S. Cole, killing 17 U.S. sailors.

Finally, September 11, 2001, two hijacked airliners hit the World

Trade Center towers, another plane crashed into the Pentagon and a

fourth plane, headed for either the White House or U.S. Capitol

Building in Washington, D.C., crashed in a Pennsylvania cornfield. All

told, 3,025 perish.

---------------------------------------

Attacking someone who has been attacking you for 37 years is not a war of aggression. Iraq is part of the Middle East. The Middle east,as a region(except for Israel),has been waging a War of Aggression against the United States for the past 37 years.

Edited by supercar

yes the bush administration is being looked at for possible war crimes..have a nice day..
I wonder who is looking at the radical muslim terrorists and their supporters???

I wonder who is looking at the radical muslim terrorists and their supporters???

They are more difficult to catch than Bush :P

Bush lied about Iraq?

linked-image

Thats the 10th time you have copy and pasted that response.

Why not just tell us to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain? The freakishly ugly Pelosi is the REAL power in Washington, right?

Edited by el midgetron

The radical Muslims have been waging an undeclared War Of Aggression against the United States since 1970:

<snip>

Attacking someone who has been attacking you for 37 years is not a war of aggression. Iraq is part of the Middle East. The Middle east,as a region(except for Israel),has been waging a War of Aggression against the United States for the past 37 years.

Supercar,

Th US has been meddling (both politically and via the CIA) in the affairs of the Middle East since at least the 1940's, sometimes this 'meddling' has been in the form of support for regimes fighting Islamic rebellion or revolution. Had the same been done by a foreign country against the US I'm sure you'd have been among the first to point the finger and warble they were implicit in an 'Undeclared War of Aggression'.

Can I ask you why the US hasn't invaded the entire ME - you do seem to lump the whole region into this 'Area of Evil' (except for your Jewish friends of course)? Why just Iraq, and possibly now Iran? Why not Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the Yemen? Why not invade North Africa while you're at it, I mean a lot of the terrorists are Tunisian, Algerian, Moroccan, Egyptian etc? You could also include a lot of the Eurasian states, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, I mean the Russians won't mind the US military rampaging through the ex-Soviet states!!!

Are you really suggesting that the US should embark on a centuries-long campaign to quell the entire Islamic world? Do you actually have the supreme arrogance to think they can????

Edited by Leonardo

Do you actually have the supreme arrogance to think they can????
It's amazing what a well placed couple of nukes could do.........

Bush lied about Iraq?

linked-image

Well this just proves that the democrats play ball for the same team as the republicans and it ain't the American people.

As for the the 'Yes Man' general who cares more about his job as opposed to health and well being of the US I say he has no credibility.

I will agree deaths are in fact down however this is a result of insurgents simply going into hiding. They are waiting the US out and the minuter they leave Bam! instant violence again. This it what makes this war impossible to win militarily.