Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China Hacks Pentagon System

BrucePrime

BEIJING (AFP) - China's military successfully hacked into the Pentagon's computer network, raising fears it could disrupt the US defence department's systems, the Financial Times reported Tuesday.

The Chinese military's cyber attack was carried out in June following months of efforts, the London-based newspaper said, citing unnamed current and former US officials.

While the Pentagon declined to say who was behind the hacking, which led to the shutdown of a computer system serving the office of Defence Secretary Robert Gates, officials told the paper it was China's People's Liberation Army.

"The PLA has demonstrated the ability to conduct attacks that disable our system," the paper quoted a former US official as saying.

One senior US official reportedly said the Pentagon had pinpointed the exact origin of the attack.

The paper quoted another person familiar with the event as saying there was a "very high level of confidence... trending towards total certainty" that the PLA was responsible.

The paper said both the US and Chinese militaries were widely assumed to conduct computer espionage on each other.

"But US officials said the penetration in June raised concerns to a new level because of fears that China had shown it could disrupt systems at critical times," the Financial Times reported.

A spokesman for the Chinese defence ministry declined to comment on the report when contacted by AFP on Tuesday.

China's foreign ministry also declined to comment immediately, asking for questions to be faxed through.

Reports of China hacking into German government systems were also raised last week between Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao and visiting German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

German weekly Der Spiegel reported that espionage programmes traced to the PLA had been detected in computer systems at Merkel's office, the foreign ministry and other government agencies in Berlin.

"We in the government took (the reports) as a matter of grave concern," Wen said after meeting Merkel.

SOURCE

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrucePrime

• questionmark

• Unlimited

• Spurious George

Top Posters In This Topic

China, for some weird reason, did not deny hacking the German ministry computers and promised help to avoid "hacker" attacks in the future....

China, for some weird reason, did not deny hacking the German ministry computers and promised help to avoid "hacker" attacks in the future....

Of course they didn't deny it. What's Germany going to do? China know there are no consequences to denying what they did. China feels they have the world by the balls, and the world lets them believe that.

Edited by BrucePrime

the red army spends alot of time with computer hacking and training...they say the lion and his group are the best in the world?....ps if you live in the US chinas not your friend ..they just tell you that to keep the cheap goods coming..

Edited by Unlimited

...ps if you live in the US chinas not your friend ..they just tell you that to keep the cheap goods coming..

If you live anywhere outside of China, China is not your friend.

they are communists who eat dogs and are forced to put there children to death..we dont have alot in common, except sam-walton...

No system is unhackable. Not yet, anyway...

:ph34r::innocent:

Which is true, but there are indicators that a good sysop can see.. problem is that most computers and networks don't have one. Even for home users there are programs like win-patrol and winsonar that stop all unknown processes or IP connections before they can do any harm. Problem is that hardly anybody uses them.

I know a guy who offered the US govt an unhackable firewall system...they turned him down it was too expensive..

Of course they didn't deny it. What's Germany going to do? China know there are no consequences to denying what they did. China feels they have the world by the balls, and the world lets them believe that.

How do you know what China feels? You're not in the chinese government and there are no reliable news sources which report what China "feels". They're probably just flexing their muscles, seeing what they're capable of. And what is the US going to do? Threaten to start another war?

China is my friend. :)

I know a guy who offered the US govt an unhackable firewall system...they turned him down it was too expensive..

Sounds about right.

Hi all,

I cant understand why the Military have to keep sensitive information on computers no matter how good they're surley the good old paper files would be better (if they have the storage space) sometimes the old ways are the best, simple yet effective,

Didnt some chap from the UK Kinnon? hack US government computers that didnt even have passwords?,

Steve,

Well, looks like Angie Merkel can get something more out of the Chinese than Dubya:

China rejects U.S. charge it hacked Pentagon

Tue Sep 4, 2007 8:44AM EDT

BEIJING (Reuters) - China on Tuesday rejected a report that hackers controlled by its military had successfully entered a Pentagon network, calling the claim a product of "Cold War" thinking.

The Financial Times, citing former and serving U.S. officials, said Chinese People's Liberation Army hackers broke into a U.S. Defence Department network in June, taking data and prompting the shutdown of a system serving department secretary Robert Gates.

The report came a week after German Chancellor Angela Merkel raised similar claims that Chinese hackers had infected German government ministries with spying programs.

China deflected the German reports, and now it has flatly rejected the U.S. claims, as well as denying reports that Chinese-made weapons have been used by Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

"The Chinese government has consistently opposed and vigorously attacked according to the law all Internet-wrecking crimes, including hacking," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said.

"Some people are making wild accusations against China ... They are totally groundless and also reflect a Cold War mentality."

Full story, Source: Reuters

Of course they deny it..the party members are born stinking liars..

With IP routing tables available, it's going to be hard to deny that they were behind the attacks. They can only cover their tracks so far..They reportedly have been trying to hack into Germanys computer systems as well as the UK's..

The Chinese are friends to no-one. And they should be treated as such.

China is an enemy..

Edited by Pinky Floyd

I wouldn't doubt that China would and could do this but when an unamed US "official" says the Pentagon "pinpointed the exact origins of the attack" and another unamed person says there was a "very high level of confidence...trending towards total certainty" that China was responsible, I will keep my reservations about the "official" story. The US constantly lies, the Republicrats are born stinking liars, and they continually blame anyone they want for anything they feel like and the press runs with it... just like Iran arms and supports the Taliban even though the Afghan government calls Iran's role positive in Afghanistan and the Taliban-friendly tribes in Pakistan have no shortage of funds, fighters and guns to take down a few hundred Pakistani soldiers... they always lie and if you are outside the US the US isn't your friend.

Maybe this had something to do with it....

George W. Bush, US president, is due to meet Hu Jintao, China’s president, on Thursday in Australia prior to the Apec summit.

... or maybe the one named source was onto something when he said....

John Hamre, a Clinton-era deputy defence secretary involved with cyber security, said that while he had no knowledge of the June attack, criminal groups sometimes masked cyber attacks to make it appear they came from government computers in a particular country.

... either way any rightwinger will tell you China doesn't need to use hackers to get info they just need a Democrat in office and they will be just given the info ;)

The US constantly lies, the Republicrats are born stinking liars, and they continually blame anyone they want for anything they feel like and the press runs with it..

Add the Dems (and some Canadians as well) to the liar list..At least the Republicans might keep these guys under watch..And it doesn't matter who prints it..If the left doesn't agree, it's just ignored..

... either way any rightwinger will tell you China doesn't need to use hackers to get info they just need a Democrat in office and they will be just given the info ;)

Pretty much so..Remember the China-AL Gore ties?? I do.

And even now, Hilliary is recieving money from a bunch of questionable sources with Chinese ties..hmm

William C. Triplett II, a former Senate Foreign Relations Committee staff member who penned a 1998 book about the scandal called "Year of the Rat," said he believes the Chinese are involved in Mrs. Clinton's presidential bid.

"What we saw in 1996 was similar," Mr. Triplett told the paper. "Whenever the Clintons have money trouble, they turn to the Chinese and the Chinese don't let them down. Perhaps it is only a coincidence that both 1996 and 2008 are Years of the Rat in the Chinese calendar."

Edited by Pinky Floyd

Should we even be surprised by the US's computer security? I mean, a British man using Hacking for Dummies, hacked into Nasa and the Pentagon and even had a conversation with someone IN the pentagon.

:w00t:

Add the Dems (and some Canadians as well) to the liar list..At least the Republicans might keep these guys under watch..And it doesn't matter who prints it..If the left doesn't agree, it's just ignored..

Pretty much so..Remember the China-AL Gore ties?? I do.

And even now, Hilliary is recieving money from a bunch of questionable sources with Chinese ties..hmm

Yup the West doesn't need foreign hackers to destroy it, they can do it themselves... and make a profit :D

Uh huh. Hold on, I'll be right back... I have to go lasso that unicorn that ran past my house! :o

Should we even be surprised by the US's computer security? I mean, a British man using Hacking for Dummies, hacked into Nasa and the Pentagon and even had a conversation with someone IN the pentagon.

:w00t:

:lol: That really should have been the first huge sign of "Let's get our act together folks!"

Wasn't he looking for information about little green men in flying saucers?

We here on UM should congratulate him for fighting the good fight.

Now the question is, who is going to hack into the US geological computers and look for information about the earth really being hollow? ;)

Wasn't he looking for information about little green men in flying saucers?

We here on UM should congratulate him for fighting the good fight.

Now the question is, who is going to hack into the US geological computers and look for information about the earth really being hollow? ;)

May I suggest the purchase of "Hacking for Dummies"? And please let us know what you have found before they haul you off to Leavenworth ....

:lol: That really should have been the first huge sign of "Let's get our act together folks!"

Haha yeah:

"Right lads! What's this 'firewall' all about? Also, this medicine I put into the computer isn't getting rid of its viruses."

"We should bring in someone computer literate sir"

"Nonsense, just get some lighter fluid and put a wall of fire around the computer. That should deter any hackers"

"No sir... Really, I brought this norton firewall/anti-spyware and anti-virus software from home and I think if we just insta..."

"SPYWARE!? You communist! Detain him!"

"No sir ! Really I must protest!"

"Now... Anyone have a lighter on them? I want to set up this firewall.."

There are no consequences for hack the US either what are the Americans going to do?

Seeing as how China owns a huge chunk of the US already not to mention they basically manufacture almost all of the cheap goods that the US consumes yeah they do have the US by the balls it's a fact.

I think any 12 year old who sits in their room on the comp all day can hack the Pentagon actually make that 10 year old.... I guess the US hasn't figured out to use a secure network as opposed to linking everything up via internet.

Edited by AtheistGod

China targets UK with high-tech spy ring

British officials have said China has been responsible for attempts to hack into government networks

September 5, 2007

Several recent attempts to hack into British Government computer networks have been traced to China, Whitehall sources said today.

The attacks are part of a pattern in which China and Russia are switching from “old-fashioned espionage” techniques to electronic hacking into government computers to gain Britain’s military secrets, the sources added.

The growing theat from hacking was underlined yesterday when President Bush said he might raise the sensitive issue with Beijing when he meets President Hu Jintao, the Chinese leader, in Sydney tomorrow for an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) summit.

Asked to respond to allegations that China’s People’s Liberation Army had hacked into a computer system in the office of Robert Gates, the US Defence Secretary, Mr Bush said: “I’m very aware that a lot of our systems are vulnerable to cyber attack from a variety of places.”

He acknowleged he did not have the intelligence “at my fingertips” on the latest hacking allegations, but he said: “In terms of whether or not I’ll bring this up to countries ... from which there may have been an attack, I may.” He then went on to talk about America’s “complex relationship” with China.

--

The Security Service adds: “The UK is a high-priority espionage target and a number of countries are actively seeking UK information and material to advance their own military, technological, political and economic programmes.”

“We estimate that at least 20 foreign intelligence services are operating to some degree against UK interests. Of greatest concern are the Russians and Chinese,” MI5 says.

--

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle2393979.ece

Funny how the Chinese would cause such embarassing situations for themselves just in time for the APEC summit linked-image