Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mother Faces Jail

aztek

County prosecutors won’t let up on charging a Minnesota mom with child endangerment for giving her sick child medical marijuana. Angela Brown is headed for trial in a case that could send her to prison for two years, even though an already-passed medical marijuana law that goes into effect in 2015 would allow medical use of cannabis oil.

Angela Brown’s son Trey suffers severe pain and spasms from a traumatic brain injury. Brown said she tried a barrage of prescription medications before turning to marijuana, as her son was in so much pain and discomfort that he cried himself to sleep and started punching and cutting himself. Brown, like a number of exasperated parents, traveled to Colorado to purchase some cannabis oil regulated under Colorado law. And she reported a familiar story of parents attempting to treat their child’s pain and seizures: within an hour of giving her son medical marijuana his condition was relieved. “Once it hit his system, Trey said the pressure in his brain was relieved,” she told the Huffington Post. “You could literally see the muscle spasms stopping. He felt amazing.”

“The prosecutor’s version of this is that a good mom allows her child to be in pain, to self-harm, and attempt to take his life,” she told Valley News Live. “I guess that’s a good mom in his eyes.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/10/01/3574160/minnesota-prosecutors-wont-relent-on-child-endangerment-charges-against-mom-for-medical-pot/

• Like 1

When will our government just pass federal laws to allow marijuana to be used medicinally, this is truly disturbing and as a father I would do literally anything to help my child find relief if he was in that much pain. I can't imagine how great this mother felt to finally find something that worked for her son only to have some idiots try to lock her up for it.

• Like 3

I was surprised by this because the pot laws in MN are pretty soft, up to 42 grams in one container is considered personal use and only results in a ticket and sent on your way so long as you weren't driving a vehicle while under the influence. Either way, she did break the law right, and under the current law of the land it is what it is. Should have kept her mouth shut, and realize that true busy-bodies do exist and love to f-up peoples lives.

The law is the law. If you're breaking it, don't tell people about it.

Except that the law is completely ridiculous and needs to be rewritten, not just in this particular case, our governments viewpoint on these matters are antiquated to say the least. It would have been perfectly fine to dose the kid full of legally prescribed opiates that could cause all kinds of unwanted side effects, but god forbid he uses a little marijuana to get some relief with little to no side effects.

• Like 4

I was surprised by this because the pot laws in MN are pretty soft, up to 42 grams in one container is considered personal use and only results in a ticket and sent on your way so long as you weren't driving a vehicle while under the influence.

it is not about that, she showed that medical cartel and prescription drugs not only not always work, but sometimes, or more likely often hurt more than they help, and forbiden drug that is supposed to be the worst thing (schl 1) and have no medicinal qualities helps and works better than "their" drugs, they just can't let such spit in the face go. she shows how full of sht they are, imo.

In States With Medical Marijuana, Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25%

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

it is not about that, she showed that medical cartel and prescription drugs not only not always work, but sometimes, or more likely often hurt more than they help, and forbiden drug that is supposed to be the worst thing (schl 1) and have no medicinal qualities helps and works better than "their" drugs, they just can't let such spit in the face go. she shows how full of sht they are, imo.

In States With Medical Marijuana, Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25%

Which I am well aware of, my point was that I was a little surprised that such strict action would be taken in a state that has a pretty relaxed marijuana laws compared to other states, then I further said I don't agree with the prosecution. But it was against the law to give her child a medicine that hasn't been approved, even though that medicine is likely one of the safest available. Yes the laws are f-uped right now, but you can't openly break them and expect to be exonerated because it's legal 640 miles away.

But to your point on the big pharma angle, I really haven't looked into it to much. I just don't use them unless they're vaccinations or amox or the like. I was caught up in the oxy craze for a bit and the experience killed the enjoyment that pharm pills posed.

• Like 1

Which I am well aware of, my point was that I was a little surprised that such strict action would be taken in a state that has a pretty relaxed marijuana laws compared to other states, then I further said I don't agree with the prosecution. But it was against the law to give her child a medicine that hasn't been approved, even though that medicine is likely one of the safest available. Yes the laws are f-uped right now, but you can't openly break them and expect to be exonerated because it's legal 640 miles away.

But to your point on the big pharma angle, I really haven't looked into it to much. I just don't use them unless they're vaccinations or amox or the like. I was caught up in the oxy craze for a bit and the experience killed the enjoyment that pharm pills posed.

it depends whose toes you step on, but yea she should have been quiet about, one thing if she did it herself, other is to give it to a kid, now DCS gets involved. all because she told wrong person. silence is truly golden.

• Like 1

it depends whose toes you step on, but yea she should have been quiet about, one thing if she did it herself, other is to give it to a kid, now DCS gets involved. all because she told wrong person. silence is truly golden.

Indeed, never say more than one has to.

Except that the law is completely ridiculous and needs to be rewritten, not just in this particular case, our governments viewpoint on these matters are antiquated to say the least. It would have been perfectly fine to dose the kid full of legally prescribed opiates that could cause all kinds of unwanted side effects, but god forbid he uses a little marijuana to get some relief with little to no side effects.

I agree, we just need to work to change those laws, until then we can sit on our hands and throw a spaz here and there.

• Like 1

I agree, we just need to work to change those laws, until then we can sit on our hands and throw a spaz here and there.

We absolutely need to get these laws changed, in another thread discussing decriminalization of drugs it has been successful elsewhere so why not give it a shot here? Changing the laws state by state doesn't help much as it is still technically illegal on the federal level, so we should skip the BS and just get things changed at the federal level to avoid putting people like this in prison, real criminals deserve to be locked up not a mother who was trying to help ease her sons pain.

• Like 1

We absolutely need to get these laws changed, in another thread discussing decriminalization of drugs it has been successful elsewhere so why not give it a shot here? Changing the laws state by state doesn't help much as it is still technically illegal on the federal level, so we should skip the BS and just get things changed at the federal level to avoid putting people like this in prison, real criminals deserve to be locked up not a mother who was trying to help ease her sons pain.

Damn dude that sounds beautiful, ah but... she broke the law. Hey broseph, state by state has just now started working, only taken 50 years. Still a few years out to full legalization. It is working, it just takes a long time to push rational laws through sadly.

edit to add: the current drug war must be brought to a stand still, which will bring many horrible resolutions. The cartels kill people because they screw with their money, I think it will be a bloody year when we do kill the war on happiness. But it has to happen to kill the cartels.

Edited by EnderOTD
  • Like 1

Damn dude that sounds beautiful, ah but... she broke the law. Hey broseph, state by state has just now started working, only taken 50 years. Still a few years out to full legalization. It is working, it just takes a long time to push rational laws through sadly.

edit to add: the current drug war must be brought to a stand still, which will bring many horrible resolutions. The cartels kill people because they screw with their money, I think it will be a bloody year when we do kill the war on happiness. But it has to happen to kill the cartels.

My sentiments exactly, the war on drugs has been about as successful as our war on terror, it only seems to be adding to the problems.

As unfair as it may seem, she did break the law. And she crossed state lines to do it. So depending on what route she took, she could have transported drugs illegally through some places- and crossing state lines might be construed as federal.

My heart breaks for the kid, that there is something that seems to help him but he is not allowed it.

I don't disagree, but that's not really the point. It's up to the individual to know and understand the law.

Similar to the PA mother who got busted in NJ for carrying a concealed weapon even though she had a PA carry permit. It's ridiculous that I can be doing something perfectly legal and Constitutional, but yet take one step across some imaginary line and be breaking the law.

92 percent of medical marijuana patients say the drug relieved their symptoms.

A new study from the Public Health Institute found that 92 percent of California residents who use medical marijuana say the drug has helped them with their symptoms.

White adults and adults aged 18 to 24 were the most common users among respondents, but each age and racial group that responded to the survey had at least a two percent medical marijuana usage rate.

"Our study contradicts commonly held beliefs that medical marijuana is being overused by healthy individuals," the study authors said in a statement. "Our study's results lend support to the idea that medical marijuana is used equally by many groups of people and is not exclusively used by any one specific group

http://theweek.com/article/index/269156/speedreads-92-percent-of-medical-marijuana-patients-say-it-relieved-their-symptoms