Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

some things about EVP

Acenaspheru

:no: Okay, I've noticed post after post about EVPs and I personally think you guys are doing this wrong. You can't say "i think it sounds like..." because then everyone who reads that will hear it. The only way to determine what's being said is to take a concensus of as many people who've answered. There was an experiment done a while ago with 100 people. 50 were put into one room and told that there was a message in a song that had been reversed, and asked to write down what they thought it said. The other 50 were put into a room and told what they were supposed to be hearing. The first 50 people answers were widely different, where as very few people did not hear what they were told to. It's the same idea with EVP. By simply being told what could be there, the people now have a somewhat biased oppinion on it.

So okay yes, I just had to say that.

With that I wish you all happy hunting!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Acenaspheru

• boorite

• Radian

• RamboIII

Top Posters In This Topic

excellent point

PS. How do you get EVP anyway?

^^ thanks.

digital or tape recorders, preferably with an external mic so as to reduce noise. I used the mic on my computer once and hit record on an old recording program i used to have. cell phones and cameras have been used as well. pretty much anything that will record an external sound *which is why tape players don't usually work.*

You can't say "i think it sounds like..." because then everyone who reads that will hear it.

:tu: Thumbs up to you!

PS. How do you get EVP anyway?

An easy way: Take a hand-held recorder and ask questions aloud. Give a nice-timed pause, before asking another.

Replay the tape and see if you get anything.

Also, just leave a recorder alone for a few hours and replay it later.

:mellow:

Edit : :P! I like the tape recorders. At least the static will make you think you actually got something. xD

Edited by Taka

we use digital recorders with a minimum 6 hours recording time.we place our recorders in rooms and leave them.carrying around a recorder and asking ghosts if they are there does'nt work very well and you get alot of sounds from everyone walking around,bumping into things etc.there is a free evp program on the internet,but its basic and not good for serious evps.we use an audio editor and can "see" the graphs as we listen to them.this is really good if you need to edit the sound so it can be played back several times.when replaying the evps on your recorder,a set of headphones is a must.thanks

Edited by greywolf

Okay, I've noticed post after post about EVPs and I personally think you guys are doing this wrong. You can't say "i think it sounds like..." because then everyone who reads that will hear it.

I agree. I just posted my first and only EVP, which I caught on my first and only outing to a supposedly haunted site. I've asked people to leave comments saying what they think it's saying, but not to read the comments before they listen and decide for themselves. Believe me, the last thing I expected was to record a voice I couldn't explain during some "ghost tour," or any other time.

Anyway, here's the link to my supposed EVP. It's about 2 MB and autoloads when you click the link.

--Scott

:tu: Thumbs up to you!

An easy way: Take a hand-held recorder and ask questions aloud. Give a nice-timed pause, before asking another.

Replay the tape and see if you get anything.

Also, just leave a recorder alone for a few hours and replay it later.

:mellow:

Edit : :P! I like the tape recorders. At least the static will make you think you actually got something. xD

:rofl::rofl::rofl: if you listen to the static long enough you just might!!!!

I agree. I just posted my first and only EVP, which I caught on my first and only outing to a supposedly haunted site. I've asked people to leave comments saying what they think it's saying, but not to read the comments before they listen and decide for themselves. Believe me, the last thing I expected was to record a voice I couldn't explain during some "ghost tour," or any other time.

Anyway, here's the link to my supposed EVP. It's about 2 MB and autoloads when you click the link.

--Scott

^^ i'll have to listen to it later, on my way out for work right now.

• 8 months later...
^^ i'll have to listen to it later, on my way out for work right now.

Hi I also do EVPs. Agree w/ most of what's been said so far except I don't believe in leaving the recorder alone. Ever. If you do you'll will never be absolutely certain what you have recorded is genuine EVP or a proximal or distant noise. Especially w/today's highly sensitive digital recorders, which can easily record a couple arguing down the hall lol.

I used the mic on my computer once and hit record on an old recording program i used to have

really? i never thought of trying that, i might do so later, i have recording programs that i use for music, and i have a nice mic also.

Hi

I’m not advising you that you should not record I would just like to know why you feel you should record?

Are you wanting to find someone or is it just idle curiosity?

Regards

Jim

sounds liik a prime example to support the residual haunting/energy ............B.(EVP)

Edited by Barek Halfhand

I heard the voice say "but have respect." What some people perceive as a final syllable is, in fact, the noise of the crowd beginning to move and talk. It's easy to misinterpret because of the way I clipped it off at the end. So most people's interpretations contained an extra syllable.

I heard the voice say "but have respect." What some people perceive as a final syllable is, in fact, the noise of the crowd beginning to move and talk. It's easy to misinterpret because of the way I clipped it off at the end. So most people's interpretations contained an extra syllable.

Hey boorite, I had to hear that again- I'm not trying to give you hard time LOL, but I clearly hear ONE HUNDRED THIRTY (something)....

btw, my roommate comes here to give her opinion, and she said it saying "have prison sex!" but I'd take her with a grain of salt, she's just deprived. :/

Hey boorite, I had to hear that again- I'm not trying to give you hard time LOL, but I clearly hear ONE HUNDRED THIRTY (something)....

A lot of people hear something just like that.

btw, my roommate comes here to give her opinion, and she said it saying "have prison sex!" but I'd take her with a grain of salt, she's just deprived. :/

I laughed very OL at this. :rofl: