Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

B.C. nurses fight mandatory flu-shots

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    ALSRN

ALSRN

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

I agree that it is a personal choice. Getting a flu shot for healthcare workers is not just about protecting the employees, it's more about protecting the patients that have compramised immune systems. However, no one shoud be forced to take a vaccine. I'm a nurse in MN and we are not required to have he flu shot but we have to fill out a form stating why we are not getting the shot. I personally do not get the flu shot because I have a reaction to it.  I do give it t my kids to protect them because they are both under the age of 2 and the flu can be very devastating to child that young. The military also requires fu shots. My husband is in the military and he does not get a choice on whether or not he wants a vaccine.

#17    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,097 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

I had my flu shot a couple weeks ago. While it was mandatory to attend the clinic, you could either take the shot or sign off. The long term goal is to have all healthcare workers immunized each year. It is done to protect the patients, however, I've seen the flu still have a pretty strong run. Most of the residents in long term care are also immunized but it doesn't always stop the flu's progress. My arm got pretty stiff for a while this year, but I've never gotten sick from the shot.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#18    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

From my perspective,if the Flu Virus mutates every year then how does having a Flu Shot help?

As i have already said i have a friend who has a shot every year and they still get Flu.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#19    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,572 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

And do the people who come to visit said patients, are they forced into the same choice... :yes:
Apparently one bright doctor (or so I have heard and hope its not true) came up with the idea that people who don't get the shot should have a sticker on their chest saying they refused to get a shot and are killing your children.  :td:

#20    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Curious, not flaming:

Are the same  who oppose the flu vaccine also opposed to childhood vaccines or are they at least advocates of parental choice?

And if opposed to the flu vaccine, but not advocates of parental choice for infants and children, do they keep up with childhood vaccines recommended for adults, such as MMR and Hep B and dtap etc, that they may have no immunity against as adults?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 19 November 2012 - 05:37 AM.

#21    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,572 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

who oppose the flu vaccine also opposed to childhood vaccines

Nope - i am not opposed to getting the vaccines for more serious sicknesses (and yes, i know, the flu can sometimes be fatal, but when compared to more serious diseases...). What I am opposed to is this "if you don't get vaccinated, you are a baby killer, etc, etc propaganda campaign that's been spewed out recently - especially when everyone I know who has gotten vaccinated has been sick/under the weather for weeks and sometimes months after getting the shots. Yet the people I know who don't get the shots are all illness free (and yes I know that the shots only cover two or three strains of the flu). So I will and will continue to take my chances, thank you very much.

But, when it comes right down to it... there is a serious conflict of interest with the drug companies when it comes down to shots (and pills, etc). Why would they want you not to get sick? They make a lot more money when everyone is constantly getting sick...but I digress... :whistle:

Edited by Bavarian Raven, 19 November 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#22    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 18 November 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

From my perspective,if the Flu Virus mutates every year then how does having a Flu Shot help?

As i have already said i have a friend who has a shot every year and they still get Flu.

Exactly!  That is a huge argument that I have.  So, you are safe from last season's flu, but this next season is a crap shoot.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users