Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is heaven?

Meg-minty

I have been thinking and I thought ' well like I wonder what heaven is like?' And I saw this video on YouTube about a boy who claims he has been to heaven but I want to know what is it like. Do you get to meet the people who have died before you? What do you do there? And another random thing do you age? Just some random questions but I would like to know what u guys think

I like to think of heaven as a magical place.

People ride unicorns instead of driving cars.

Everyone has a pet velociraptor.

Jameson Whisky spews from faucets.

And string cheese is the national food.

But honestly, depending on your religious beliefs, heaven can be many different things.

I'm also a believer in reincarnation. So my views would be more obscure than somebody who has a picture already drawn out for them.

• Like 2

Oh, yes, that sounds like Heaven, doesn't it? I have a picture in mind of lush green meadows, blue skies, and a white tent at the top of a hill surrounded by sunflowers, with the wind blowing. And my cats Little Bear and Daisy May Moses will be there.

• Like 1

The Bible refers to three types of heaven. The first heaven refers to the sky, and is used to describe the home of the birds, where they fly and soar. The second heaven refers to the home of the stars, what we'd call outer space. The third heaven is the home of God. I'm presuming that it is this third heaven of which you speak.

But let's muddy the waters just a little further. In Christian terms we now need to separate the heaven of where God is now compared to the heaven promised to us in the future. They are not the same thing. According to the Bible when Jesus returns we will be given new spirit bodies, and the earth and the heavens as they exist now will be destroyed and replaced with new heavens, and a new earth.

I'm assuming it's this heaven you refer to, the one where we'll be living with God for eternity. Unfortunately we can't answer this question adequately. First, we are still physical beings, we cannot know what it will be like to be born into a spirit body with a new non-physical consciousness. We cannot know the specifics of this new heaven and new earth which be created with said spirit body in mind.

The Bible gives several analogies (a major party with lots of food, music and wine, for example). But these are just analogies to help our physical, corporeal mind understand that which it cannot yet understand. A party and banquet, no matter how elaborate, will get boring long before eternity ends (yes, there's an intentional contradiction there).

So with all that said and done, the short answer I can give as a Christian is that I don't know exactly what heaven will be like, but I do know that this is where God is going to be, and that is enough for me to know that this is where I want to be also :tu:

Hope this helps,

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

and is this teaching not represented by Noahs Ark PA?

lowest level : things that slither and slide

middle level: things that walk on all 4s

upper level: Birds of the air

these are also represented in the 3 stages of spriritual growth : Formation stage, Growth stage, completed Stage..

theres much more to the hidden symbolisms in Noah Ark than mearly some boat.

I would think a Christian heaven would be where your spirit or soul ends up. I don't think it's a place for physical bodies. I imagine it's just etherial souls basking in the holiness of God.

Funny, I just wrote a blog entry on this same subject (though different than my above concept).

according to belinda carlisle, heaven, is a place on earth, and who are we to argue with the mighty Ms carlisle hmm?

:-)

• Like 3

I hope it is a place of eternal learning and growth. Total absence of fear, anger or sadness. And I hope I get to annoy everyone around me by having my Beagle next to me again :w00t: :clap: 16 years just wasn't enough.....

• Like 4

it sad that everyone has this image on a place that has not been proven to exist. and if it did what makes you think that you would be one of the 144.000 chosen ones to go there. do not waist the time you have on this planet with a myth. learn love and enjoy this life and do not fear death because it is a part of life a natural thing every one is destine to experience.

it sad that everyone has this image on a place that has not been proven to exist. and if it did what makes you think that you would be one of the 144.000 chosen ones to go there. do not waist the time you have on this planet with a myth. learn love and enjoy this life and do not fear death because it is a part of life a natural thing every one is destine to experience.

Welcome to the community Chad87Chad I think a person can do both things. One need not get so caught up in doctrinal issues that they cannot have a life of joyous freedom - that is a personal choice. As to the idea that it is myth, well, even myths had a beginning in some truth. I often say that for my own faith, it gives me great comfort in what can be a very brutal and heartless existence. If I am wrong and you are right then when I die I will never be aware that I was wrong. Can the reverse be said? I wish you well and again I welcome you to this AMAZING community of people.

Hi chad,

Firstly, a warm welcome to UM, I hope you enjoy your stay here :tu:

That said, if you don't mind I'd like to comment on this. The number 144,000 comes from Revelation, and describes how many people John of Patmos saw in his vision. Do you suppose he was a great battle tactician who could easily see a multitude and count that exact number? How did he know that there were exactly 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel? In the context of 1st Century Palestine, 144,000 people gathered in one place was unthinkable. There simply weren't that many people in Rome.

Certain numbers (and multiples thereof) had significance in Hebrew symbolism. The number 12 referred to God's people (12 tribes of Israel). So having 12,000 (a multiple of 12, naturally) people from each of the 12 tribes was symbolic - most people (Jehovah's Witnesses aside) who follow Jesus understand the 144,000 people to refer to a very large, but ultimately finite unspecified number.

On a final note, I would like to say that as a believer, I am not in any way wasting my life on God. Whether what I believe is true or not, my life has been enriched by my decision to turn to Christ. I guarantee you it is not a waste. I do not fear death, I do not tremble at the thought of my life ending, living in fear that God will one day snuff out my existence. So with that said, I have no reason to change my belief, it is not wasteful to live a life filled with purpose.

~ Regards, PA

• Like 1

Heaven must be way cool. God chooses to live there instead of here.... so that's a fair indication.

• Like 1

I think shrooma beat me to it, but indeed, "True heaven is a place on earth" and even more so, it is a state of mind. i mean how does anyone think they wil be happy in heaven if they can't achieve the same state of mind on earth? Heaven doesn't "compel" or cause anyone to be happy, we have to chose to be so, even in heaven. Outside environment has no biological/neurological influence on our state of mind, that we can not alter.

Edited by Mr Walker

I have been thinking and I thought ' well like I wonder what heaven is like?' And I saw this video on YouTube about a boy who claims he has been to heaven but I want to know what is it like. Do you get to meet the people who have died before you? What do you do there? And another random thing do you age? Just some random questions but I would like to know what u guys think

Heaven is being a child again. Not knowing the difference in a persons color, religion, race.

• Like 1

What is Heaven? Hmm...I believe if you look hard enough...the answer you seek lies right in front of your mortal eyes!! :whistle:

I know this is true, I see it each time I click on -> http://www.cntraveller.com/recommended/itineraries/top-10-holiday-destinations and many sites like it !!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the community Chad87Chad I think a person can do both things. One need not get so caught up in doctrinal issues that they cannot have a life of joyous freedom - that is a personal choice. As to the idea that it is myth, well, even myths had a beginning in some truth. I often say that for my own faith, it gives me great comfort in what can be a very brutal and heartless existence. If I am wrong and you are right then when I die I will never be aware that I was wrong. Can the reverse be said? I wish you well and again I welcome you to this AMAZING community of people.

joyous freedom does not exist we are born into a system brain washed at school and Sunday church. to give people this MYTH story of a place called heaven should be a crime towards humanity and they have know rights to teach people of young minds of something that has not been proven there money making organization is a big problem in this lifetime we live and people should not be thinking of death when there is so much beauty in life whatever happens after life is something we cant control and never will. thankyou

Hi chad,

Firstly, a warm welcome to UM, I hope you enjoy your stay here :tu:

That said, if you don't mind I'd like to comment on this. The number 144,000 comes from Revelation, and describes how many people John of Patmos saw in his vision. Do you suppose he was a great battle tactician who could easily see a multitude and count that exact number? How did he know that there were exactly 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel? In the context of 1st Century Palestine, 144,000 people gathered in one place was unthinkable. There simply weren't that many people in Rome.

Certain numbers (and multiples thereof) had significance in Hebrew symbolism. The number 12 referred to God's people (12 tribes of Israel). So having 12,000 (a multiple of 12, naturally) people from each of the 12 tribes was symbolic - most people (Jehovah's Witnesses aside) who follow Jesus understand the 144,000 people to refer to a very large, but ultimately finite unspecified number.

On a final note, I would like to say that as a believer, I am not in any way wasting my life on God. Whether what I believe is true or not, my life has been enriched by my decision to turn to Christ. I guarantee you it is not a waste. I do not fear death, I do not tremble at the thought of my life ending, living in fear that God will one day snuff out my existence. So with that said, I have no reason to change my belief, it is not wasteful to live a life filled with purpose.

~ Regards, PA

its good you have knowledge of this. but where did you learn this from a book. one book now you believe in this whole existence of something that has not been proven. i think people that are afraid to die turn to something like the bible for a free ride to wonderland. but i think they wont be any closer to heaven then they will to hell. humans are a predatory killing machine and to smart for our own good. thats why the world is dying and religion is know place for human. thanks for the welcome