Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is the NFL ready for an openly gay star?

nfl gay sports stars gay rights

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Like this has anything to do with the NFL or a 'secret gay player.'

wake up .

what else is happening today and tomorrow?  Oh, weird, the SCOTUS is reviewing gay marriage.  What a crazy coincidence that the same week an NFL player may come out soon.  I wonder if that story will drum up support for....

Wait a minute!  The air!  it's too fresh up here!  Must ...put...head...back...under...sand....

Posted Image

#32    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 26 March 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

What i am saying here is that what someone prefers to sleep with is no ones damn business,big difference here in that and someones skin color.Straight or gay most do not care to hear about what someone else does in the bedroom.Telling someone they should be tolerant of others spouting off about their preferance all the time and should be celebrated as a hero just doesnt make sense.Most people get jobs,schooling,and praise based on their abilities not because they are so wrapped up in wanting to celebrate what they choose to sleep with.

Crimson, again, I totally agree with the spirit of what you're saying.  To be honest, none of this should matter, and everybody's sexual preference should be personal. Unfortunately, homosexuals tend to be bullied, and we know that's a hot button right now.

#33    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

I don't understand the need to "come out". If people don't make a big deal out of being gay, but don't hide it, it usually doesn't make a blip on the radar. Look at Lilly Tomlin, Anthony Perkins, Paul Lynn, Roddy McDowel and Agnes Moorehead. None of them made a big deal of it, everyone knew and it didn't matter at all.

#34    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,044 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 March 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

I don't understand the need to "come out". If people don't make a big deal out of being gay, but don't hide it, it usually doesn't make a blip on the radar. Look at Lilly Tomlin, Anthony Perkins, Paul Lynn, Roddy McDowel and Agnes Moorehead. None of them made a big deal of it, everyone knew and it didn't matter at all.

People, especially those with significant others, have you had to go visit them in the hospital ever?  Are you on their insurance policy?  Have you ever wanted to adopt a child?

You see, homosexual couples are robbed of these rights in some states.  You flat out can be fired in Mississippi for being a homosexual.

You should all read this article:   http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=us_t4

It puts it into perspective. Yeah, you think your "I don't care what they do, just keep it to yourself and behind closed doors" attitude doesn't hurt or oppress people, but it does.  I now find that pic of the ostrich with it's head in the sand very ironic.

#35    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

People, especially those with significant others, have you had to go visit them in the hospital ever?  Are you on their insurance policy?  Have you ever wanted to adopt a child?

You see, homosexual couples are robbed of these rights in some states.

Where are those rights listed in our Constitution?  I forget...

#36    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,044 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 26 March 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Where are those rights listed in our Constitution?  I forget...

Weird, never did I mention the constitution.

#37    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

You see, homosexual couples are robbed of these rights in some states.  You flat out can be fired in Mississippi for being a homosexual.

You should all read this article:   http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=us_t4

It puts it into perspective. Yeah, you think your "I don't care what they do, just keep it to yourself and behind closed doors" attitude doesn't hurt or oppress people, but it does.  I now find that pic of the ostrich with it's head in the sand very ironic.

None of those things have anything to do with coming out and publicly announcing it. They still won't have the same rights and some people will still be prejudiced against them. I'm saying a vast majority wouldn't think anything about someone talking about their significant other.

By the way, my favorite nephew is gay so don't presume to know what my attitude is.

#38    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Weird, never did I mention the constitution.

Weird, then they aren't Rights, which means they are are not guaranteed.
Rights are not anything that you believe they should be, bro.

#39    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,044 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 March 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

None of those things have anything to do with coming out and publicly announcing it. They still won't have the same rights and some people will still be prejudiced against them. I'm saying a vast majority wouldn't think anything about someone talking about their significant other.

By the way, my favorite nephew is gay so don't presume to know what my attitude is.

No offence, but the statement wasn't about you, it's called a generalization, and you all keep doing it, so I'm jumping on the wagon.  Also, I already explained the benefit of 'coming out' is.  Maybe you didn't read all the posts?

Nice to know that your favorite nephew is gay, can I be racist since my nephew is black?

#40    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,306 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Green dude, this isn't a gay marriage thread. Be who you want. If you say you're gay and that's that then that's that. If you say you're gay and that I have to recognize it, I have to care for your plight and support your cause and I don't want to that's not me being a bigot. That's me minding my own damn business. When you force people to take an interest they probably won't. The problem with hardcore in your face recognize and support me activism or be damned is the part about being damned simply for not joining your fight.

Posted Image

#41    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,044 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 26 March 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

Weird, then they aren't Rights, which means they are are not guaranteed.
Rights are not anything that you believe they should be, bro.

Weird, the states get to make some of their own rules, which isn't in the U.S. Constitution.  So yes, they are rights, and to stay consistent with the previous practices of this country, homosexuals will (eventually) get the same rights as straight people.

#42    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,044 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 26 March 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

Green dude, this isn't a gay marriage thread. Be who you want. If you say you're gay and that's that then that's that. If you say you're gay and that I have to recognize it, I have to care for your plight and support your cause and I don't want to that's not me being a bigot. That's me minding my own damn business. When you force people to take an interest they probably won't. The problem with hardcore in your face recognize and support me activism or be damned is the part about being damned simply for not joining your fight.

Actually, I'm aware it's not a gay marriage thread.  If you also take notice, I'm retorting to all the bigotry I'm seeing.  It's not me shifting the conversation, I'm just aggressively rebutting the nonsense I'm reading. No one is forcing you to take an interest, what will be forced (eventually) is fair treatment.

#43    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

No offence, but the statement wasn't about you, it's called a generalization, and you all keep doing it, so I'm jumping on the wagon.  Also, I already explained the benefit of 'coming out' is.  Maybe you didn't read all the posts?

Nice to know that your favorite nephew is gay, can I be racist since my nephew is black?

Why is it people always say no offence right before they offend you? In the future, you may not want to insult people that agree with you. Nothing I said gave any indication I have anything against gays.

As a matter of fact, insulting anyone, when it comes to global warming, gay rights, or the like is not the way to influence people....just FYI.

Edited by Michelle, 26 March 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#44    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,044 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 March 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Why is it people always say no offence right before they offend you? In the future, you may not want to insult people that agree with you.

As a matter of fact, insulting anyone, when it somes to global warming, gay rights, or the like is not the way to influence people....just FYI.

The no offence part was for the statement that followed, as the original statement wasn't directed at you.  That part shouldn't have been offensive to you.

The last line was meant to offend.  That's a classic line for someone who is being prejudice, but justifies it because they know someone who is of the group they are being prejudice against. Hence my comment about my black nephew.

#45    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,609 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 26 March 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

The no offence part was for the statement that followed, as the original statement wasn't directed at you.  That part shouldn't have been offensive to you.

The last line was meant to offend.  That's a classic line for someone who is being prejudice, but justifies it because they know someone who is of the group they are being prejudice against. Hence my comment about my black nephew.

When you say "you all" it sort of puts me in there too.

That comment has always irritated me because it's not logical. I'm supposed to say I don't associate with blacks or gays, because if I do I'm prejudiced?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users