Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Austrian saws off own foot to avoid work

glorybebe

VIENNA — An unemployed Austrian man on Monday deliberately sliced off his left foot with a mechanical saw and threw it into an oven ahead of a health check on whether he was fit to work, police said.

When police arrived the "desperate" 56-year-old from Mitterlabill in southern Austria was still conscious but had lost a lot of blood, local police chief Franz Fasching told AFP.

link

:blink: I've never wanted to avoid work that bad!

VIENNA — An unemployed Austrian man on Monday deliberately sliced off his left foot with a mechanical saw and threw it into an oven ahead of a health check on whether he was fit to work, police said

You know, for good measure. :mellow:

link

:blink: I've never wanted to avoid work that bad!

I don't know why he didn't just start blithering at the walls like they were out to get him or something, that usually makes people pretty unemployable - the fact that he has a mental illness is painfully obvious, wish granted for him I guess. Pity it is really only the least of his personal problems.:cry:

What an idiot. It's a shame that we possess such societal banes.

What an idiot. It's a shame that we possess such societal banes.

Tis a shame that society, in the 21st century, still classes people with serious mental health problems as "idiots", "play-actors", "work-shy", "scroungers", "layabouts" etc.

In my opinion.

• Like 1

You know, for good measure. :mellow:

why waste a good foot. Might as well cook it up :w00t:

Sounds like a scene from the SAW movies. :P

We can't make a judgment on his psychological status until an assessment has been conducted. until then, he still remains a moron.

He's a waste of tax dollars.

This is astonishing! Guess you could look at it as a "blessing," he now will be getting the psychiatric help he absolutely needed! Someone capable of doing this was obviously in dire need of help, and who knows how long before he may have hurt someone or himself. Oh wait, he did hurt himself.. :wacko:

This is astonishing! Guess you could look at it as a "blessing," he now will be getting the psychiatric help he absolutely needed! Someone capable of doing this was obviously in dire need of help, and who knows how long before he may have hurt someone or himself. Oh wait, he did hurt himself.. :wacko:

Hrm, I believe this is an act of idiocy moreso than anything else. There was no mention of his mental health, only a "health" check. Perhaps he was ill with a heart condition, for example, but was cured of that and decided that reaping the benefits was just as good as working, so he decided to go to drastic measures to make himself seem crazy when, in reality, he is merely a lazy, free-loading bum?

Mmmm... BBQ.

We can't make a judgment on his psychological status until an assessment has been conducted. until then, he still remains a moron.

He's a waste of tax dollars.

You need a psychologist to tell you that someone who has hacked their own foot off is mad?

Now THAT, is a waste of tax dollars.

• Like 1

why waste a good foot. Might as well cook it up :w00t:

lol

why not? women are eating their placentas...

You need a psychologist to tell you that someone who has hacked their own foot off is mad?

Depends on your definition of being "mad". For example, Hitler could be seen as either insane, or a pure genius. Believe it or not, but there are people out there who believe that Hitler wasn't entirely wrong in what he believed. There's no documented evidence to suggest that Hitler was ever psychologically insane. IN fact, I remember watching a documentary where a doctor analyzed acts carried out by Hitler, and could not rule out insanity. His acts were attributed to the use of amphetamines.

Like I said, a person's definition of mad varies from one individual to the next. What you call mad, others may call smart. It may seem grotesque and insane to you, to cut off one's foot... but who's to say that he shared those beliefs? Who's to say that he didn't truly cut off the foot so that he could reap medical benefits that would financially exceed any job that he could possibly consider, depending on his level of intelligence or other medical disabilities? Honestly, these ridiculous acts shouldn't surprise you at this point in time.

Edited by Alienated Being

Depends on your definition of being "mad". For example, Hitler could be seen as either insane, or a pure genius. Believe it or not, but there are people out there who believe that Hitler wasn't entirely wrong in what he believed. There's no documented evidence to suggest that Hitler was ever psychologically insane. IN fact, I remember watching a documentary where a doctor analyzed acts carried out by Hitler, and could not rule out insanity. His acts were attributed to the use of amphetamines.

Like I said, a person's definition of mad varies from one individual to the next. What you call mad, others may call smart. It may seem grotesque and insane to you, to cut off one's foot... but who's to say that he shared those beliefs? Who's to say that he didn't truly cut off the foot so that he could reap medical benefits that would financially exceed any job that he could possibly consider, depending on his level of intelligence or other medical disabilities? Honestly, these ridiculous acts shouldn't surprise you at this point in time.

So you actually think this guy maimed himself for a bare subsistence from the government? That he was so lazy he would rather inflict excruciating pain and limp through life as a bum than work as a whole person? Anything is possible but AB that is the most messed up outlook I've heard of in a very long time. It must be depressing to feel so little faith in your fellow man.

• Like 1

Waste of 1 foot,he can still work with his hands,loads of people with 1 limb amputated have jobs and are contributing their share to the community,I guess he's just a total nutter who wants to be supported by his fellow men,insane no,cunning yes...

• Like 1

Oh good heavens to betsy... Here we go with - If it's not written down anywhere then it cannot be true lol laugh.gif

Calling the man in the OP an idiot is not good enough.. Many local idiots still know where to draw the line... He has to have had a few screws loose to do that all to get away from work...he is CRAZY like Hitler was... I know a mad sad act when I hear or see one... You don't need to be a doctor or that conclusion... He is mental to do what he did...

Define mad...FFS that line is so worn out lol

*Hands out white coats and tasers to UM Moderators*

I think that is a must lol tongue.gif

lol

why not? women are eating their placentas...

LOL so wrong :no:

Good God, the insanity of people(including myself) never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 1

:tu:

*Hands out white coats and tasers to UM Moderators*

If moderators are armed, who's gonna moderate the moderators?

Oh good heavens to betsy... Here we go with - If it's not written down anywhere then it cannot be true lol laugh.gif

Calling the man in the OP an idiot is not good enough.. Many local idiots still know where to draw the line... He has to have had a few screws loose to do that all to get away from work...he is CRAZY like Hitler was... I know a mad sad act when I hear or see one... You don't need to be a doctor or that conclusion... He is mental to do what he did...

Define mad...FFS that line is so worn out lol

Given Hitler's infamy and "popularity", there would almost undoubtedly be some record to indicate whether or not he was psychologically dysfunctional. He, as a person, has been analyzed by sociologists, psychologists, etc. and was not found to show any indication of "insanity" in medical terms. Again, what you view as insane, another could view as being fine.

It's a valid inquiry - insanity is all relative. What you view as insane, others could view as being perfectly logical and humane.

"Many" local idiots does not equate to all local idiots.

Hitler was clearly flawed in his beliefs, and in his thinking... however, he wasn't mad. You are calling him insane in accordance with your own definition and personal beliefs regarding the word.

Edited by Alienated Being