Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Israeli soldier tossed in jail over sandwich

DieChecker

http://news.yahoo.com/jailed-israeli-soldier-freed-pork-sandwich-scandal-082446371.html

Jailed Israeli soldier freed after pork sandwich scandal

Jerusalem (AFP) - An Israeli soldier who was jailed earlier this week for eating a non-kosher sandwich has been freed after the army agreed to release him following a wave of public pressure.

The soldier, who recently immigrated to Israel from America, was initially jailed for 11 days after eating a sandwich containing pork, which is forbidden by Jewish dietary law, public radio reported.

But news of his punishment spread quickly on social media, sparking a public outcry which prompted the army to revoke the punishment, admitting it had made a mistake.

Well.... At least they released him. I'd imagine if there hadn't been an outcry, that he'd have gotten a year or at least several months of imprisonment.

• Like 1

Those dietary laws made sense way back when, before refrigeration - pork does "turn on you" faster than most meats, but really today those laws serve no purpose...

It was not only the meat turning, it was also trichinosis that "created" the no-pork laws.

• Like 1

It was not only the meat turning, it was also trichinosis that "created" the no-pork laws.

Yes, and it's still as valid today if one eats under cooked pork. I think the problem wasn't that he ate pork so much as he ate it while in uniform and offered some to his mates.

Yes, and it's still as valid today if one eats under cooked pork. I think the problem wasn't that he ate pork so much as he ate it while in uniform and offered some to his mates.

Well, see how far I strayed from the tribe? I would walk a mile for a good Prosciutto di Parma or a Jamon Serrano .....

• Like 1

Well, see how far I strayed from the tribe? I would walk a mile for a good Prosciutto di Parma or a Jamon Serrano .....

I'd be interested to read studies comparing long term health of people who stay kosher vs those who do not - properly controlled of course. It might contain surprises, or maybe no.

The more I look at the world, the less sense or even no sense it makes to me.

And yet it shouldn't come as a surprise in a country where religion has the upper-hand over secularism. It isn't called the Jewish State for nothing, after all.

Edited by Phenix20

I'd be interested to read studies comparing long term health of people who stay kosher vs those who do not - properly controlled of course. It might contain surprises, or maybe no.

sincerely? I could not care less, I don't want to end up like the guy going to the doctor a day before his 99 Birthday and after the doctor tells him that he is very healthy he seez: "That is because of my lifestyle, I always ate frugally, never ate any sweets, never had any sex and never drank any alcohol, all that enables me to celebrate my 99 bday tomorrow". The doctor was silent for a moment, then looked at him and asked: "And how you are going to do that, if I my ask?"

And yet it shouldn't come as a surprise in a country where religion has the upper-hand over secularism. It isn't called the Jewish State for nothing, after all.

Any place where the ayatollahs gain the upper hand it ends up being hell. And it soon could come to a place near you.

• Like 2

Nutrition-wise there is no difference. From the food inspection side, it is healthier because they check it more thoroughly. http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/myths-facts-is-kosher-food-healthier-2738

hmmm... I had no idea jews, like muslims, don't eat pig either. I suppose its due to massive anti-muslim sentiment pasted all over the internet today.

hmmm... I had no idea jews, like muslims, don't eat pig either. I suppose its due to massive anti-muslim sentiment pasted all over the internet today.

The Muslims copied it from the Jews. Just like the Christians copied from the Jews (though not everything).

Indeed Acidhead... I mean... it's easy to see how such sentiment could cause confusion.

Example #1

raw-pork-chops-3720540.jpg

Example #2

developers-south-korea-under-fire-over-building-resembing-9-11-twin-towers-collapse.jpg

Does that help clear the confusion up ?

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

@RoofGardener

But still, the majority of muslims will tell you that their faith doesn't have anything to do whatsover with such a terrorist act. Most will probably get off-put if you even ask them such a question. So, I don't really see this as a jusitifcation for massive anti-muslim sentiment, which acidhead is quite correct in pointing out.

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 1

@RoofGardener

But still, the majority of muslims will tell you that their faith doesn't have anything to do whatsover with such a terrorist act. Most will probably get off-put if you even ask them such a question. So, I don't really see this as a jusitifcation for massive anti-muslim sentiment, which acidhead is quite correct in pointing out.

How does that confuse the fact that the Jewish faith does not eat pork? I do not see how the state of the Muslim religion today affects that or somehow hid the fact that the Jewish faith does not consume pork?

Or are you saying we only hear about Muslims not eating pork, never the Jewish faith due to the fact that the Muslim religion pushes for Halal in every corner store?

Either way it does not seem anti muslim, but what is a regular occurrence in today's world. The Jewish faith is quiet, the Muslim faith is not, so you hear more about them.

• Like 2

Or are you saying we only hear about Muslims not eating pork, never the Jewish faith due to the fact that the Muslim religion pushes for Halal in every corner store?

The fact that muslims don't eat pork is often emphasized, to point out that they've peculiar beliefs, when in fact they are not at all the only religion who do so.

PS: There can be as much Jewish halal food productions, depending where your live.

Either way it does not seem anti muslim, but what is a regular occurrence in today's world. The Jewish faith is quiet, the Muslim faith is not, so you hear more about them.

Except that a majority of muslims would not call such extreme acts the ''Muslim faith'', all the contrary. That's the whole point.

Just like the majority of Christians wouldn't like to be guilt associated with some Baptist pastors and their followers who advocate to put gay people to death or bring back slavery. Making a clear distinction seems like common sense to me, really. Otherwise, it's nothing more than anti-muslim sentiments.

Edited by Phenix20

The fact that muslims don't eat pork is often emphasized, to point out that they've peculiar beliefs, when in fact they are not at all the only religion who do so.

PS: There can be as much Jewish halal food productions, depending where your live.

Except that a majority of muslims would not call such extreme acts the ''Muslim faith'', all the contrary. That's the whole point.

Just like the majority of Christians wouldn't like to be guilt associated with some Baptist pastors and their followers who advocate to put gay people to death or bring back slavery. Making a clear distinction seems like common sense to me, really. Otherwise, it's nothing more than anti-muslim sentiments.

Considering that the west is at war with a subset of the Muslim faith I think it unreasonable to expect Islam as an issue to be ignored. Harassing a Muslim on the street or destroying their property would be awful and should be prosecuted under he law but being aware and speaking out about an ongoing BLOODY conflict between a subset of that religion is completely understandable imo. Trying to excuse every act by any Muslim leads to the craziness that is happening in France and GB. They will find it damned hard to accomplish it in the US.

You guys do realize that in every grocery store in the US you can find goods with the Kosher symbol on it. Usually it looks like a K or U in a circle. Check out the label on your ketchup bottle sometimes. Not so much with the Halal symbol which is usually the word halal in a circle, but it's there too. It makes sense to me that muslims ask more often, because food tends not to be labeled for them as much.

That being said, we have had animal rights activists freaking out about both the Kosher and Halal practices for slaughtering animals. There was a big stink with PETA here in Iowa over one of the Kosher slaughterhouses: http://www.peta.org/features/agriprocessors/

(The governor fixed that problem by signing a law that made it illegal to film animal production facilities.)

I figure the ignorance of Kosher practices over Halal practices have more to do with people's tendencies to seek faults on those they dislike while being blissfully unaware of similar situations in groups they like. Muslims, Jews, and Christians are way more alike then they would like to admit.

Random trivia: Did you know that the Yazidis don't eat lettuce?

• Like 3

Random trivia: Did you know that the Yazidis don't eat lettuce?

ehm, yes, but not because of food laws but because of tradition dating from the 13th century when a crowd pelted the corpse of a Yazidi who had been executed with lettuce heads.

• Like 1

Both Kosher and Halal should be BANNED on the basis of animal cruelty. No exceptions.

As regarding Pork; apparantly it is NOT a very healthy meat, quite apart from any other considerations. It is very high in fat and calories.

• Like 2

ehm, yes, but not because of food laws but because of tradition dating from the 13th century when a crowd pelted the corpse of a Yazidi who had been executed with lettuce heads.

Seems like an honest enough reason to ban a food source... :innocent::td:

• Like 1

Exactly my point, Anti Muslim sentiment has nothing to do with it, it is rather common.

So? A significant minority of at least tens of thousands have their own version of the religion that is extremely violent and stupid. And they would consider it "faith". We all well know there are plenty of versions of the Muslim Faith like the Christian Faith, but all faiths other than Muslim, do not have a significant violent minority. That is going to be a talking point no matter how you look at it.

Tens of thousand of followers is not Anti Muslim, that makes an independent version of the Muslim Faith that is offensive and detrimental to society as a whole. It's clashing faiths from the same source. Absolutely ridiculous to liken a faction of tens of thousands to the odd sicko priest that their own society turns on. When a priest is convicted for bigotry of deviance, he does not have the Church behind him saying "well, God said it's OK, read the bible!!" they go to jail. That is how a mature society behaves. Nor would any well balanced person believe something like 911 was EVER justified. There is quite a gap many refuse to acknowledge. There are tens of thousands of radicals at a conservative estimate, that's an entire religion of it's own and is a violent, or rather literal, interpretation of that violent book. Even many of the so called conservatives said 911 was justified like our own Australian Idiot, Anthony Mundine.

I am not anti Muslim, I am anti religion. As a species, we should have matured beyond that stage by now.

• Like 1

Seems like an honest enough reason to ban a food source... :innocent::td:

I think most elders have differing versions, but it seems the silly rule came in so long ago, nobody can actually remember the real reason.

Devils-Lettuce.jpg

So? A significant minority of at least tens of thousands have their own version of the religion that is extremely violent and stupid. And they would consider it "faith". We all well know there are plenty of versions of the Muslim Faith like the Christian Faith, but all faiths other than Muslim, do not have a significant violent minority. That is going to be a talking point no matter how you look at it.

You have forgotten history because Christian zealots have killed quite a lot of people. It has ended here for us but this is mostly due to a cultural shift in the West where rationality and human rights came with liberal democracy. These extreme and violent ''Islamic'' beliefs have a lot to do with the context these folks are live in. Looking at the Middle-East and Africa today; extreme poverty, lack of opportunity, Western resentements ect. they are fertile grounds for such ideologies.

Now if you can't make a distinction between the clear majority of muslims who practice their faith peacefully and those fanatics and terrorists killing, raping and looting in the name of sacred texts they have twisted to fit their ideology, I am afraid you've fallen into a trap. If being Anti-religious for whatever reasons means putting everyone in the same box, condeming a large number of people for guilt by association, I want nothing to do with it.

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 1

You have forgotten history because Christian zealots have killed quite a lot of people. It has ended for us but this is mostly due to a cultural shift in the West where rationality and human rights came with liberal democracy. These extreme and violent ''Islamic'' beliefs have a lot to do with the context these folks are live in. Looking at the Middle-East and Africa today; extreme poverty, lack of opportunity, Western resentements ect. they are fertile grounds for such ideologies.

Now if you can't make a distinction between the vast majority of muslims who practice their faith peacefully and those fanatics and terrorists killing, raping and looting in the name of a religion they seem to have twisted to fit their ideology, I am afraid you've fallen into a trap.

Those countries which have been bombed and invaded (with the exception of Iraq) have housed the Muslims who are actually attacking the west. If your standard is that ONLY the actual individuals who attack us should be pulled from that mass of humanity and arrested and tried in a court then I applaud your idealism but doubt it would extend to the loss of your own family and friends if an attack affected you personally. 9-11 was a declaration of war on the US AND on the rest of the west. It stopped being a police matter on that day. Certainly mistakes have been made, but they always are in war. The idea that we in the west can make nice and somehow the threat will go away is as ridiculous as thinking we could bomb every Muslim country into submission. The war needs those with intelligence and a will to fight through to the end if the world is not to be prostrated before this version of darkness these evil men bask in.
  • Like 1