Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why contemplating Death changes how you think

If death is the final taboo, it might not be for much longer. There has, in recent years, been increasing effort to promote conversations about death and dying, both in the home and in more public settings. For example, death cafes, first launched in Switzerland in 2004, have spread around the world, enabling people to speak about their fears over cake and coffee.

http://www.bbc.com/f...s-how-you-think

i think i posted in the wrong section ... can a Mod pls move this ..thanx

Edited by YA AMAR
  • Like 8

If death is the final taboo, it might not be for much longer. There has, in recent years, been increasing effort to promote conversations about death and dying, both in the home and in more public settings. For example, death cafes, first launched in Switzerland in 2004, have spread around the world, enabling people to speak about their fears over cake and coffee.

VERY interesting. Thanks for posting this :)
  • Like 3

Brilliant, I hope this takes off. As the article states, we do fear death terrible, despite our bravado claims. Inventing the afterlife to soften that blow is a double edged sword, many people suffer terribly when Euthanasia is what they desire for a peaceful end. The adherence to life is precious - and it is - gives us this mortal fear that we struggle to overcome. Facing death as a reality, and realising our finality I think would be a great thing for the species and help us evolve intellectually. Mainly because we are finally being honest to ourselves about this scary aspect of life. That we had to invent the afterlife, and that we cherish this man made story so dearly shows that we all share this fear.

My Stepfather passed away end of last year. It was the first "good death" I have ever experienced and it was a lifting experience. He went at 83, spent his last ten years sadly fading away to dementia, but retaining faculties to recognise family, and would spend most days wandering the town visiting nieces and nephews at work. He passed peacefully surrounded by loved ones. I figured, "I hope my last years and ending as as gentle and fulfilling".

Best of luck to them. It would be good to see more people being so brutally honest with these mysterious aspects we have mystified to keep at a distance to keep our own fears at bay.

• Like 8

Great YA AMAR, hope that will bring in comments on this great challenge we have to faced!

• Like 2

I can say, when you get a diagnosis, like " Cancer "....Death hits you hard. Scared the **** out of me, because I never talk about it, and do not have a " faith ", and really do not know what happens. Still scares me now, and I hate feeling that way. Sometimes feel like I have wasted / waste a lot of time, working, etc......If this is all we get.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 6

I have been feeling the same way lately, hence why I changed my signature.

• Like 4

I can say, when you get a diagnosis, like " Cancer "....Death hits you hard. Scared the **** out of me, because I never talk about it, and do not have a " faith ", and really do not know what happens. Still scares me now, and I hate feeling that way. Sometimes feel like I have wasted / waste a lot of time, working, etc......If this is all we get.

same here ...i was told i had 5 years left to live in 2009 ... it changed me totally but in a very positive way . But i remember the day i was told that i had cancer it was like i went out of my body and stood beside myself it felt like someone hits you with a hammer . When death comes i can only pray that it comes softly

• Like 5

Brilliant, I hope this takes off. As the article states, we do fear death terrible, despite our bravado claims. Inventing the afterlife to soften that blow is a double edged sword, many people suffer terribly when Euthanasia is what they desire for a peaceful end. The adherence to life is precious - and it is - gives us this mortal fear that we struggle to overcome. Facing death as a reality, and realising our finality I think would be a great thing for the species and help us evolve intellectually. Mainly because we are finally being honest to ourselves about this scary aspect of life. That we had to invent the afterlife, and that we cherish this man made story so dearly shows that we all share this fear.

My Stepfather passed away end of last year. It was the first "good death" I have ever experienced and it was a lifting experience. He went at 83, spent his last ten years sadly fading away to dementia, but retaining faculties to recognise family, and would spend most days wandering the town visiting nieces and nephews at work. He passed peacefully surrounded by loved ones. I figured, "I hope my last years and ending as as gentle and fulfilling".

Best of luck to them. It would be good to see more people being so brutally honest with these mysterious aspects we have mystified to keep at a distance to keep our own fears at bay.

i can only imagine how it would be to live with someone who suffers from dementia .... but as you said he passed peacefully we can only wish for such a death ...my condolences

• Like 4

same here ...i was told i had 5 years left to live in 2009 ... it changed me totally but in a very positive way . But i remember the day i was told that i had cancer it was like i went out of my body and stood beside myself it felt like someone hits you with a hammer . When death comes i can only pray that it comes softly

I agree. Hope the best for you. Sounds like you are beating the Hell out of it :)

• Like 4

Why fear death? Its inevitable.

• Like 2

I agree. Hope the best for you. Sounds like you are beating the Hell out of it :)

same back to you and healing ... everyday is a new day and worth living it :yes: Pain and all that ....

• Like 2

The whole human race feels the lost of love ones and the fear of their own death, surely a common ground that unties us all no matter the beliefs.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 4

I look at it this way. I have lived longer, learned more, done more than billions of people that lived before me.

It's scary, but if it's like what it was before I was born? Then it's not so bad. I look at people with a raised eye that has to experience everything in this life as if it's a race, but that's just me.

• Like 3

I look at it this way. I have lived longer, learned more, done more than billions of people that lived before me.

It's scary, but if it's like what it was before I was born? Then it's not so bad. I look at people with a raised eye that has to experience everything in this life as if it's a race, but that's just me.

There is no such thing as race, we are all of the human specie.

They say most people will die from heart attacks ,cancer or car accidents, lets just hope man does not destroy him self in any other way.:(

• Like 2

i can only imagine how it would be to live with someone who suffers from dementia .... but as you said he passed peacefully we can only wish for such a death ...my condolences

My Step Father lived about a 5 hour drive, so I did not have too much responsibility with regards to his condition, but when I lost my Father in 2006, I knew a bit about it as I did assist with home care in that situation. He suffered milder cases of dementia and alzheimer's.

It was the first time I felt "at peace" with a death. Thanks you for the condolences, he was a good man and will be missed, but I am glad he had a good life, and a happy and peaceful end.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

Because it is a sad event as well as being inevitable. It means you will never see another sunrise, it means you will never hear a sound again, it means you are no more. This is a marvellous world, and so much to see, do and learn. It is exciting being alive. We do not get sick of a beautiful sunrise even after a 100 years for some of us, few wish to cease being here to embrace new marvels.

• Like 2

I am 100% certain, when you are faced with it, or even a hint of it, you will know why.

• Like 4

There is no such thing as race, we are all of the human specie.

I was talking in terms of car race/horse race.

• Like 1

I deal with death everyday. It's my job, after all. I'm actually at a funeral home right now typing this out on my phone.

I can tell you that with how much I've been around it,it no longer bothers me at all. We all go sometime, be it from old age, disease, drugs, or accidents. Anyone of us could go tomorrow. I've made peace with that fact and I live my life the best I can everyday cause I don't know for sure that I'll have a tomorrow.

• Like 6

I am 100% certain, when you are faced with it, or even a hint of it, you will know why.

i can agree with that .... to be faced with it and have time to think about it is the worst for some people . i does change how one think and feels. Yes, clearly we all must die no one is ever spared from death .

We could die any day just crossing the street or being at the wrong place at the wrong time yet we might be at the right place because out time has come to go . it is how one views it .

in our case ,the worst is when you get told that you will die and when Doctors give you a time frame ( which doesnt always hold true ) . in my experience it was the Doctors who did sooooo much fear mongering and they could not understand my positivity towards my thinking about death ...

i am not afraid of death itself i am afraid of how i die because who wants to die in pain ...then again ...it's just something to deal with when the time has come .

i have changed so much for the better since then and so many things that i took for granted became so precious to me ... it is really like something has lifted off of me

every moment is so precious ... i forgive easier , i laugh more , every human being becomes important ...it's often hard to explain ...i just see everything with different eyes .

But what i have become very sensitive with is how others treat themselves and their health ...while some of us struggle with survival you see others in their careless acts

But it is also a fact of live ...

All in all it is a blessing to me in so many ways :yes:

• Like 1

Why contemplating death......think?

Probably because, we will lost our grip on the miracles of living (good and bad) on this beautiful Earth!

• Like 1

This is an interesting article. Personally, I'm terrified of death and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

"I fear mortality and its inevitable loss in the end."

~Raistlin Majere

• Like 3

What exactly causes fear ? the way of death or what comes after death ? And if we fear what happens after death what causes those fears ...

i wanted to give the following a own thread but decided to post it here as well , think its pretty good article :

“Imagine you wake up, locked inside a box,” says Adrian Owen. "It's a perfect fit, down to every last one of your fingers and toes. It's a strange box because you can listen to absolutely everything going on around you, yet your voice cannot be heard. In fact, the box fits so tightly around your face and lips that you can't speak, or make a noise. At first, this feels like a game. Then reality sets in. You see and hear your family lamenting your fate. You're too cold. Then too hot. You're always thirsty. The visits of your friends and family dwindle. Your partner moves on. And there's nothing you can do about it."

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140421-inside-the-minds-of-the-dead

• Like 2