Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Evolution of Video Games?

Minds_Eye

With extremely detailed and realistic graphics as the expected norm nowadays, does anybody miss the simplicity of the retro-games? It's funny to think how modern gaming evolved from something as basic as Pong... So what makes a video game successful?

• Like 2

I think it interesting that we will always like repetitive arcade games. As proven by how they live on in apps on phones and ipads etc. Or even like the popularity of candy crush on facebook

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

GOD YES. I hate modern games. Contra was as good as it got.

Edited by Karasu
  • Like 2

The "eternal" games tend to be easy to understand and play, challenging to win, and not reliant on a story. Think Tetris, the line-up games like Bejeweled or Candy Crush, that sort of puzzle game.

As proven by how they live on in apps on phones and ipads etc. Or even like the popularity of candy crush on facebook

I was going to mention that if you like games of old just play on your phone...

Simple games are out there still, old games are still recycled they just look better than they have ever done. Even on consoles now they have smaller games being produced on a smaller budget for download that keep some of the fun those old skool games had.

As for what makes a successful game... Stripping away all the gloss a successful game needs a good learning curve matched with a reward system, if the game is good enough the reward needs to be no more than new content to devour.

• Like 2

I think gameplay is just as important as graphics any day. Look at the huge success of Minecraft. Over 17 million people have bought the game. Graphics are nice but they're just window dressing. If a game is crap it doesn't matter how pretty it is.

• Like 4

I think gameplay is just as important as graphics any day. Look at the huge success of Minecraft. Over 17 million people have bought the game. Graphics are nice but they're just window dressing. If a game is crap it doesn't matter how pretty it is.

As the saying goes, you can dress a turd up but its still a turd

• Like 3

Gameplay is more important than graphics without a doubt. I remember as a kid pouring over gaming magazines and marvelling at the graphics, only to be let down by a ropey game...

I am however considering upgrading to a PS4 to play GTA5 just to get a better looking version of a game I already own... :blush:

• Like 1

Gameplay is more important than graphics without a doubt. I remember as a kid pouring over gaming magazines and marvelling at the graphics, only to be let down by a ropey game...

I am however considering upgrading to a PS4 to play GTA5 just to get a better looking version of a game I already own... :blush:

Graphics are definitely a nice addition to gameplay as it can 'immerse' the player and give a better experience however I think immersion has taken a front seat on games where it only ever should have been a passenger. There is more to great games than just graphics, like sound/music, atmosphere, tight controls, challenging (but not frustrating) difficulty, etc. etc. :tu:

• Like 1

does anybody miss the simplicity of the retro-games?

Those types of games are still around, so no. As an elder gamer from the preataric era I enjoy those retro games and still buy them, but I also enjoy games that really push the boundaries of visuals, sound, story telling, animations, etc. As an example I used to watch scary movies around Halloween, but I can't find a truly scary movie anymore so now I play scary games. I just bought a PS4 on 10/31 for that very reason, and got some good creep out and jump scare moments from playing a $5 game (Outlast).

• Like 3

I miss this......

handheld+football+game.jpg

• Like 2

and this......

elecfootball.jpg

• Like 3

A games popularity depends on hitting the market at the right time...and being promoted by the players at the time it hits the market.

But I like both era's though I'm more sold on modern games as Graphics not only pretty up a game but adds content and meaning that words would fail to transcribe, so making for a deeper gaming experience for me.

I develop for a mix of Graphics and gameplay, with the emphasis on user comfort depending on a 2D based game or a 3D based one.

I think what made Minecraft popular was the potential to transform the World and craft anything you like, within the constraints of the game itself...nothing else came close to it at the time of its rise to the top.

With extremely detailed and realistic graphics as the expected norm nowadays, does anybody miss the simplicity of the retro-games? It's funny to think how modern gaming evolved from something as basic as Pong... So what makes a video game successful?

I feel like most games nowadays have strayed away from that pursuit and are generally adopting their own style of graphics. A notion where one can completely gain understanding of this is with Warcraft III. I can still hop on and have a great time, although the graphics are technically dated, they possess their own, unique style which keeps the game timeless. A lot of game developers are recognising this.

• Like 1

i do not miss the simplicity of retro games.

rather, i miss the complexity. "streamlining" has become much more of a thing, i think, and while it has a purpose, you still lose something.

think of the elder scrolls games, which have featured smaller worlds, fewer skills, and an increasingly simple character creation. easier to jump into, yeah, but some of the variety and liveliness is lost.

• Like 1

Graphics and innovations are more important to developers then game-play value, at least i see it going that way lately and it is only game-play value which makes game 'alive' for long time. Take, for example, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Civilization series, Heroes of Might Magic 3, Need for Speed Underground series...

I do wish someone (with far better coding skills than I have) could take some of the old 'classic' games I use to play for hours at a time, and simply upgrade the graphics... don't change the game play,

don't change anything else.. just upgrade the graphics and allow it to run easily on a modern machine... I know that you can run some of them on "dosbox" or other types of emulators... but it's not the same...

I wish they'd redo some of the old games, like Halife 2 or teh original Duke Nukem 3D, with the latest graphics engine.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Give me a classic pinball machine or at most 8-bit. I have every Classic console

• Like 1

Graphics are definitely a nice addition to gameplay as it can 'immerse' the player and give a better experience however I think immersion has taken a front seat on games where it only ever should have been a passenger. There is more to great games than just graphics, like sound/music, atmosphere, tight controls, challenging (but not frustrating) difficulty, etc. etc. :tu:

Unfortunately as you say graphics have taken a front seat for far too long and will continue to do so. Probably a reflection of the vanity of society... looks trumps content unfortunately. :hmm:

• Like 1

I feel like most games nowadays have strayed away from that pursuit and are generally adopting their own style of graphics. A notion where one can completely gain understanding of this is with Warcraft III. I can still hop on and have a great time, although the graphics are technically dated, they possess their own, unique style which keeps the game timeless. A lot of game developers are recognising this.

I found this with Windwaker, played it many times on the Cube before the rerelease on the Wii U, classic game backed up with classic styling that just does not date as quickly as the 'realism' look.

Sometimes a weakness in a system pushes the developers to find a work around, sometimes it is a stylised look that adds a uniqueness to a game.

I wish they'd redo some of the old games, like Halife 2 or teh original Duke Nukem 3D, with the latest graphics engine.

If you play on PC this has happened with a few titles, the modding community are always finding new things to do with older titles...

Here is GTA San Andreas running on a newer engine

Your requests might be out there somewhere or on there way. ;)