Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was the Mona Lisa the world's first 3D image?

Still Waters

Experts have found evidence hinting that Leonardo da Vinci, famed Renaissance man, may have been the father of 3D stereoscopy. If proven, da Vinci may have another achievement to add to his long and illustrious career as an artist, scientist and engineer.

http://www.techtimes...st-3d-image.htm

• Like 1

Nice article, but nothing really jumped out at me... ;)

• Like 1

I have never really felt the love for this horrible "work of art".Maybe someone can enlighten me why this manly looking picture of a woman ever became such a big deal?

I am a history buff,i know the history of the painting but i still have to ask why?...

I would suggest instead that Da Vinci had one or more of his students paint the same portrait - not as part of a "3D project", but either for experience or so he could adjudge which was the better to 'sell' to the client.

not forgetting the Isleworth Mona Lisa - which would make 3 paintings.

Interestingly, when I went to the article, and saw the two paintings side by side, I slightly unfocused my eyes - the same way you do for "magic eye" pictures, and it did have a 3-D effect...

Amazing and I wouldn't put it past him. Leonardo was fiddling with photography and all sorts of light tricks. He created several versions of the camera obscura and was famous for his illusions as well as his art.

Wouldn't be hard to test. Create a viewfinder wheel with the two images and look! :)

• Like 1

Next time try your 3-D glasses! :tu:

• Like 1

Try looking at any two nearly identical picture side by side. With the Magic Eye unfocusing technique, almost anything will become more 3-D.

• Like 1

I heard they were the first "paint by numbers" kits. That explains the closeness of the paintings.

Where's the Groan button when you need it...

• Like 1

Where's the Groan button when you need it...

One mans groan is another mans highly planned, well thought out and sometimes hilarious but usually naff attempts at humour ;)

• Like 1

ba-dum-bump

How about a pair of these?

View-Finder.jpg

• Like 1