Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Haunting of Munger Road

Borachio

Im not sure what the whole story about Munger Road is but i'll just say what i've heard.

Munger Road is supposedly a haunted railroad in Illinois. I dont know the exact date but a while back a School Bus that was filled with kids stopped on the railroad on Munger Road.

Unfortunately a train was on the track so they tried pushing the bus off the tracks but they were too late, so the train ended up killing everyone. (Feel free to find and post any links to news on the story).

Now you can experience the phenomenon on Munger Road by taking these steps:

- First you have to park your car on the railroad.

- Second you have to turn off all your lights.

- Next you have to put some sort of white powder around on car... The reason for this is that the incident on Munger Road happened on a snowy winter day so there was snow on the bus, so when you put the white powder on the car you can supposedly see a childs handprints as if they were trying to push your car off the tracks.

- Finally you just sit and wait for the phenomenon to begin!

If you have anything you would like to share about the topic please post here.

Huh that's odd, I've heard a few more stories of people seeing reflections of the kids in their windows and hearing shouts and screams

If you search the forums I'm sure you could find another topic relating to this. I haven't heared of any witness statements, which leads me to believe that this is probably just a legened and nothing more.

:alien: Nick :alien:

• 1 month later...

Im not sure what the whole story about Munger Road is but i'll just say what i've heard.

Munger Road is supposedly a haunted railroad in Illinois. I dont know the exact date but a while back a School Bus that was filled with kids stopped on the railroad on Munger Road.

Unfortunately a train was on the track so they tried pushing the bus off the tracks but they were too late, so the train ended up killing everyone. (Feel free to find and post any links to news on the story).

Now you can experience the phenomenon on Munger Road by taking these steps:

- First you have to park your car on the railroad.

- Second you have to turn off all your lights.

- Next you have to put some sort of white powder around on car... The reason for this is that the incident on Munger Road happened on a snowy winter day so there was snow on the bus, so when you put the white powder on the car you can supposedly see a childs handprints as if they were trying to push your car off the tracks.

- Finally you just sit and wait for the phenomenon to begin!

If you have anything you would like to share about the topic please post here.

Munger Road is off of Army Trail Road in Wayne Illinois, not far from where I grew up. When I was still in highschool, I went to Munger Road to see what would happen. We put flour on the bumpers of the car and parked on the tracks. Nothing happened. We thought we saw finger prints in the powder, but we couldn't be sure if they were from when we put the flour on the car, or from any 'ghosts' who may or may not have been there.

There is a road in Palatine, Cuba Road, or something similar to it, that has a story that sounds a lot like the Munger Road story. I don't think that Munger Road has anything particularly out of the ordinary going on, besides being really really creepy.

I understand that none of the stories match up with facts. It seems it is all local legend.

Munger Road is off of Army Trail Road in Wayne Illinois, not far from where I grew up. When I was still in highschool, I went to Munger Road to see what would happen. We put flour on the bumpers of the car and parked on the tracks. Nothing happened. We thought we saw finger prints in the powder, but we couldn't be sure if they were from when we put the flour on the car, or from any 'ghosts' who may or may not have been there.

There is a road in Palatine, Cuba Road, or something similar to it, that has a story that sounds a lot like the Munger Road story. I don't think that Munger Road has anything particularly out of the ordinary going on, besides being really really creepy.

In Laredo, Texas (where I was born and raised, and presently visiting) there's a story that goes exactly the same way, and the railroad in question is near a region we call Mines Road. Funny enough, I heard this story when I was much, much younger.

Edited by thekeyboardkid

From what I understand, there was going to be a movie based on the legend of a school bus getting hit by a train. I saw something about it on YouTube a while back but, I don't remember what it was called and I didn't think to save a link to it. Nonetheless, it's a common urban legend that you can find through-out the US and parts of Canada much like the legend of Goldne Arm and the escaped murderer with a hook for a hand.

Sorry to be such a buzz kill but, facts are facts.

The idea, apparently is to put your car in neutral while sitting at the rail crossing and some unseen force is supposed to then move the car backwards. This indeed happens. Railroad tracks are usually built on a grade (hill) to protect the roadbed and track from ground water. The Munger road crossing is in a very wet area so the grade is fairly steep. Any car put in neutral on that spot will roll backwards due to the unseen force of gravity.

You can find a place like that near just about every city in America. There's always a place nearby where a bus of school kids supposedly got hit by a train, or a woman got hit by a car, or something similar. You park your car, put it in neutral, and it moves by itself. Depending on which version of the legend it is, there will be handprints on your car after its done with. There's an interesting variation down here where I live where if you park your car and turn the lights off a "beast" will come and you can hear it clawing your car and windshield trying to get in and it will sometimes push and/or rock your car.

There are some roads you can go on where your car does appear to travel uphill or down a straight road by itself, but its more of an illusion, like the things around the Oregon vortex.

well suck me sideways!!! bit of a dick are we???

who are you talking about? Everyone seems to be very civil in here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It might not have worked for some of you because you're supposed to do the procedure at 11:04 pm. My friends and I drove there last month and it was for sure really freaky but we didn't see anything because we weren't really prepared or anything. The story I heard was about the kids and the bus, but I also heard years ago a few people were murdered and thrown into the tall grass surrounding the rail road tracks, but who really knows?

• 3 years later...

Hey guys, well just thought id let you know that I live in Elgin, illinois. About 10 minutes away from munger road. I will be giving you guys info on what us from here know about this "munger road" legend. First of all, if you watched the movie which was filmed here In ST. CHARLES, you would know that the story from the movie DOES not fit the local stories going on around this country. I personally believe the story of the bus is just a hoax. But something DOES push you at night and I will explain how to get that push off your car.. from what ive heard from family & friends is that - 1)be on the train tracks at exactly 12 am(reason for that is that at 12 am the train passes to get to the other side of the town) 2) completely turn off car and leave on neutral 3) sit back and enjoy the ride 4) for what ever reason do not get off the car and keep doors locked at all time. . Okay and foe those who want prove of this either watch the movie or I believe the reality show called "fact or faked: paranormal files" did an episode were they tested a car and a school bus & were successful with the unexplained moving.. well thats all I know to the best of my knowledge. . As a resident here, I strongly dont recommend going there cause ever since the movie started its release, cops have been all over this road..

• 1 year later...

I grew up in San Antonio Texas right down the street from The Legendary "Ghost Tracks" and we had the same exact legend, vehicles rolling uphill, baby powder with hand prints, etc. Its been around for over sixty years but in our legend it was a school bus, and the neighborhood in that area had streets named after the school children who died there. I grew up on Katherine St. This Legend was debunked by the "Ghost Adventures Crew" on the Travel Channel. (You can view this on Utube). Land surveys have determined Its an optical illusion which happens quite frequently at railroad crossings. After further research I discovered that the Streets were not named after dead school children, but were actually the Land Developers grandchildren. To think, as a child, I had nightmares about a dead schoolgirl named Katherine, only to find out she never existed. The Ghost Adventures did not include the neighborhood streets named after the dead kids in thier TV program, which was always a big part of the legend, I assume they did not know about this part.

• 2 weeks later...

Many new members here I see.. You could almost believe it were the same person with several accounts...

There is no such things as ghost or spritiys phantoms and so on.. just get your camera on and all paranormal entities will disappear...