Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rome may be 200 years older than thought

UM-Bot

New archaeological evidence has suggested that Rome was founded two centuries earlier.

Legends say that Rome, one of the world's oldest cities, was founded by twins Romulus and Remus in 795 BC, but now archaeologists have discovered the remains of an ancient wall that seem to date back to a time before then.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...er-than-thought

Maybe Rome was built on a ancient city and this is part of its remains.

• Like 1

Or it was built over top of an earlier 'fortified villa', not a town...

But Paranomaly is probably right...

• Like 1

Or could it back the Aeneid story to some extent since this would push the date of the founding of the city to the date of the city to the fall of Troy.

While an interesting find apparently the writer of the original article can't subtract since 900 - 795 = 105 years and not "a full 200 years" as claimed.

cormac

Well, cormac, what's a few years? I mean the Hundred Years' War lasted more than. lol

Well, cormac, what's a few years? I mean the Hundred Years' War lasted more than. lol

One would expect the writer of an article discussing an archaeological find to be more accurate than evidenced. Sadly this isn't always true.

cormac

While an interesting find apparently the writer of the original article can't subtract since 900 - 795 = 105 years and not "a full 200 years" as claimed.

cormac

Well the 795 BC was recorded by legend. It seems 700 BC was expected. At least that's the way I read it.

Rome was not really built in a day I guess ~ ahhh well ... at least the eternal City is still around ~

My understanding had been that active volcanism in the area had prevented earlier settlement. Of course a lot depends on the timing of the volcanism.

The Etruscans came to mind as I read this. Are they too late in this timeframe at that level of construction? I haven't properly looked into history for years now.

• Like 1

Cities happen for reasons, and if there's city there now there was probably a city (or at least a large town) there before, too. It's not like cities were any novelty in 1000 BCE.