Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attacked by sea monster

signman

does anyone have any information on the supposed attack by a sea monster on a group of skin divers in Pensacola Fl in 1962? The only survivor was a fellow by the name of Edward Brian McCleary. I discovered this story only because I picked up a book in the bargain bin called "Mysteries and Monsters of the sea" by the editors of FATE magazine. An internet search has only given the same information contained in the book. For some reason I find this story fascinating and would like to get more information.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• draconic chronicler

• red-star

• 667-Neighbor of the Beast

• Undeadskeptic

Here try this.

"We were in an Air Force rescue raft bound for a sunken ship a few miles off the coast. Midway out, we were caught in a storm and dragged out to sea. When the storm cleared, we were in a dense fog. We began to hear strange noises, rather like the splashing of a porpoise . . . also a sickening odor like that of a dead fish. The noise got closer to the raft and it was then we heard a loud hissing sound.

"Out of the fog we saw what looked like a long pole, about ten feet high, sticking straight up out of the water. On top was a bulb like structure. It appeared several more times, getting closer to the raft. The silence was broken once again by something out of the fog. I can only describe it as a high-pitched whine. We panicked. All five of us put on our fins and went into the water . . . 'Keep together and try for the ship!' I yelled.

"After we were in the water, we became split up in the fog. From behind I could hear the screams of my comrades one by one. I got a closer look at the thing just before my last friend went under. The neck was about 12 feet long, brownish-green and smooth looking. The head was like that of a sea-turtle, except more elongated with teeth. There appeared to be what looked like a dorsal fin when it dove under for the last time. Also, as best I am able to recall, the eyes were green with oval pupils.

"I finally made it to the ship, the top of which protruded from the water, and stayed there for most of the night. Early that morning I swam to shore and was found by the rescue unit."

Edited by XSAS

freaky

Interesting, as they were part of the Air Force I wonder if a decent inquiry was done into the disappearance of the other guys.

why would the Air Force be after a sunken ship anyways? wouldnt that be more of a job for the Navy?

Odd story to say the least. There are a couple of things in it that caught my attention as being slightly off. First, as Conspiracy pointed out.. to me it also seems odd that it was an Airforce rescue raft. I'll go look further into that later on, but unless it is a specialty case, that does seem somewhat strange. Secondly, the man mentioned that it had a "bulb like structure". Normally, the only creatures that posess such an appendage are those who are deep under near the ocean floor. They use the bulb as means to attract prey. That is the first time at least to me that I have heard of anything of the matter being near the surface.

I'm going to look into a few things on this and see what I can come up with. It sounds like an unlikely story, but maybe something will begin to add up if there is anything else to be found on the topic.

......i'm gonna bring a harpoon gun to the beach from now on

with HIGH EXPLOSIVE TIPS BABY!!!! MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!! movin on that is some freaked up ****

I think the bulb-like structure he referred to was the head. At first he described it as a long pole with a bulb-like structure on top. He later realized it was a neck and head.

devil.gif a sea serpent devil.gif

If only humans would listen to folklore rolleyes.gif

yes if only humans listend if only....

dont take a harpoon gun

take a nuclear missle >:)

Do you have a link for that story?

take a nuclear missle >:)

676593[/snapback]

and kill us all!!!!!!!???????

take a bazzoka gunsmilie.gif

Edited by aliennobasoure

Perhaps it was an aircraft carrier or a tugboat pulling an aircraft carrier? I dunno, just a thought.

Perhaps it was an aircraft carrier or a tugboat pulling an aircraft carrier? I dunno, just a thought.

679040[/snapback]

i dont think anyone is stupid enough to think a tug boat and a air craft carrier is a animal

this one i have never heard of i really do not think its real with the news media today they would be all over this ,hey they need something to talk about during slow times. w00t.gif

Interesting story..

One thing I know however is that Fate Magazine doesn't seem to have any fact checkers. As near as I can tell, people just write them articles and if they like them, they get published..

Later, somebody might challenge a specious "Fact" or story in the letters section, but the Editors themselves hardly ever seem to do any looking around..

This could be an actual event, I suppose; but I thinks it's more likely just a story somebody made up for entertainment..

A Sea-Monster eating several members of the Armed Forces isn't the kind of thing that stays quiet for very long..

Maybe he saw a renigaid from a "B" bad monster movie! GODZILLA'S COMING!

Or he was highly drunk, pushed his buddies into the water, and they got eaten by sharks.

Well, there's a famous account of a world war 2 group of stranded sailors on a raft. During the night a Giant squid pulled one down for food, and tried getting another one. The sucker marks remained on the survivor's leg as proof. Only known case in modern history, though by the reliefs in some Greek and Roman pottery this has obviously happened before.

I have this story in a book entitled "Mysteries of the deep", from the files of FATE ,Llewellyn Publications 1998. It originaly appered in May 1965 and was submitted by Edward Brian McCleary. The story takes place on March 24, 1962 in Pensacola. Mr. McCleary and three friends, Eric Sullay, Brad Rice, and Larry Bill, were going to recreational skindive, I assume the raft was surpluss purchsed, on the wreck of the USS Massachusetts when a storm came up and they were almost pulled out to sea. After dark a fog rolled in and the thing he describes as looking "like a telephone pole about ten feet high with a bulb on top",it doesn't say it was lighted, started picking off the men one by one. The editor states at the end of the story that it was reported in both the Pensacola Journal and the Playground News of Ft Walton, sans sea monster. The link provides info on the wreck so that much is true.

FATE was one of only a few outlets for stories of this kind at the time so it was used for reporting encounters of all kinds by readers. I do belive they aren't above embellishing the stories to boost sales. This is also the magazine which brought us the "Great Shaver Mystery", which you should read before take any of their stories at face value. All in all they have alot of entertainment value and there is some truth in them somewhere but you have to research them a great deal before you use them as source material.

http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/archaeology/und...rves/uwmass.cfm

http://www.parascope.com/nb/articles/shaverMystery.htm

http://www.fatemag.com/

679040[/snapback]

i dont think anyone is stupid enough to think a tug boat and a air craft carrier is a animal

679402[/snapback]

I meant for why the Air Force was after it instead of the Navy. Lol.

Sounds like another story of "the one that got away" to me!