Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mokele-Mbembe

Beren Erchamion

I thought that this was a perfect topic after the "Dino Pic" topic I know that most if not all of you have heard the theory that Nessy is a Plesiaosaur but how many of you have heard of Mokele-Mbembe? I think that it is very likely that bot of these exsist but there is a better chance of Mokele-Mbembe exsisting here is a link to Wikipedia's description. Tell me what you think PLEASE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokele-mbembe

Edited by General_Crix_Madine

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• capoeiranger

• psyche101

• azurus1287

• bball

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the story of Mokele-M'bembe! It fits all three of my qualifications: has been in the local legends for years; thought to exist in remote locations; and some physical proof exists (even if it is sketchy). Here is a page with some more good information on our beloved sauropod.

EDIT: Mokele-Mbembe is not the only dinosaur thought to still exist. Here is another one called the Madidi Monster; it is thought to exist in the Amazon. And Here is another sauropod-like creature thought to exist. It's called the Re'em.

Edited by rosenrot

I thought that this was a perfect topic after the "Dino Pic" topic I know that most if not all of you have heard the theory that Nessy is a Plesiaosaur but how many of you have heard of Mokele-Mbembe? I think that it is very likely that bot of these exsist but there is a better chance of Mokele-Mbembe exsisting here is a link to Wikipedia's description. Tell me what you think PLEASE!

My oldest son has loved the story of Mokele Mbembe since he was just a little boy. :)

I noticed in another thread you were dissapointed as the number of people responding to this title. It has been discussed many times here, it never seems to be a "hot topic".

It also happens to be one of my favourite cryptid stories. I love the abiguous twists the tale takes all the time. The missionaries are the biggest eniga to me, they should have the knowledge to know what a Rhino looks like, yet many have reported Mokele_Mbembe and described it as a unique creature. Also there is the riddle of it's apparantely preferred food, not exculsive Rhino takeout.

Still, the naitives saw a picture of a Rhino and said that's it. They also said the same when they saw the picture of a Sauropod.

The reality is that it is most likely a Rhino, it fits the descrition, size, the habitat and displays the bad temper reportedly a part of the creature's nature. The other local inhabitants are another enigma, Emele Notuku, Kongamato, there seems to be qute some dinosaurs in Africa, bit strange nobody can prove it. As such, (unfortunately) the likelyhood of Mokele Mbembe being anything other that a Rhino remains obsucre.

Here is a real good question, there was supposed to be an extensive search for the creature in January, The Marcy Milt expedition. There was a fizzer of a mission on January 2006 that was brushed of (that is, the ineffectiveness of the mission) as a prelim mission for this years extensive effort. Is anyone here a member of Loren's forum? Does anyone here talk to him? He promoted the expeditions, perhaps he has some knowledge on this? I would love to know what happened. It seems strange how quiet it has all gone, did they find someting in 2006, and was it a simple old Rhino? Are Cryptozoologists hiding a truth to keep themselves in a job?

I've known of Mokele-Mbembe for a while, more likely he/she exists sense he/she lives in the jungle.

I've known of Mokele-Mbembe for a while, more likely he/she exists sense he/she lives in the jungle.

Yo, being in a jungle doesn't always mean that it is likely exist.

Think about a real, I mean a REAL Bananaman...did it exist? Coz I think that banana grows in jungle too, my friend! :)

I think Mokele Mbembe is a great story, and I'd love for it to exist for real.

I was watching a show the other day about the Congo, and it looked amazing!

There are huge parts of it that hasn't been accessed yet. There is apparantly a perfectly round lake in the middle of the forest, and some clearings in the forest where the animals feed and relax were not even discovered until 1992! Just imagine what else could be discovered...

I don't.

Mokele Membe seems like the product of people looking for something sensationalist to sell their books, I'm sure we would be capable of finding a creature of such proportions, or at least have some form evidence that is at least worth discussing. Also if I remember correctly, the tribe that apparently had some form of contact with Mokele Membe identified an elephant, or maybe it was a hippopotamus from a book as Mokele Membe.

As for the Loch Ness monster, I believe some form of credible evidence would have definitely turned up by now if Nessie existed or was a dinosaur, particularly with the amount of attention it gets in the world of cryptids.

I don't.

Mokele Membe seems like the product of people looking for something sensationalist to sell their books, I'm sure we would be capable of finding a creature of such proportions, or at least have some form evidence that is at least worth discussing. Also if I remember correctly, the tribe that apparently had some form of contact with Mokele Membe identified an elephant, or maybe it was a hippopotamus from a book as Mokele Membe.

As for the Loch Ness monster, I believe some form of credible evidence would have definitely turned up by now if Nessie existed or was a dinosaur, particularly with the amount of attention it gets in the world of cryptids.

Most of the reports are from missionaries? About 200 reports have been filed? I do not think anyone is making money of the story, not enough to live on anyways. The naitives reported a Rhino by the way :tu: White missionaries say they are not sure what the heck it is, but they have seen the creature and it is big.

It is probably a Rhino, superstition has made us hope it is more, and I for one do hope it is more, but the reality is that it is more likely a Rhino.

Loch ness, no way :no: It is only tourism that keeps Nessie alive.

Nobody goes to Lorens forum, or contacts him? He has some answers for us !

Most of the reports are from missionaries? About 200 reports have been filed? I do not think anyone is making money of the story, not enough to live on anyways.

Well that's a good point, clearly monetary gain could not have been a factor in all of these claims, as the average person could only benefit so much from these claims in a financial sense, without a book or similar to contribute the information too. Although, I still wouldn't put it past people to make these claims for their 15 minutes of fame.

when i was younger i used to dream of being the one to find something like this...i think that there will be somthing like this out there...somewhere

Well that's a good point, clearly monetary gain could not have been a factor in all of these claims, as the average person could only benefit so much from these claims in a financial sense, without a book or similar to contribute the information too. Although, I still wouldn't put it past people to make these claims for their 15 minutes of fame.

thats funny because there would probably be alot of poeple out there who make a living on storys like this.

like those people who purposefully hurt themselves so that they can sew the companyand get rich.

:lol: Professional para-normal con-men.

:lol: Professional para-normal con-men.

Exactly what im talking about.

Anyone heard of any?

It wouldn't surprise me actually, when you consider it as a possibility it doesn't seem so far fetched.

But Lirael, what about the natives and their stories?

I understand that there are a lot of them claiming to have seen this creature?

The show I was watching about the Congo a couple of days ago, there was a tribe of pygmees living in the middle of Congo and their accounts of it was quite fascinating, even though to me it didnt sound like it was a giant rhino or a dinosaur?

MM is simply another one of the same supernatural "dragons" believed in by every human culture for thousands of years. But people are embarrassed to use the "d" word anymore, so now the dragons are called Plesiosaurs in some places, giant seals in another, and sauropod dinosaurs in the congo. People will continue to catch glimpses, and bad, distant photographs, but they will never catch them becasue they are obviously not mere animals, but belong to a supernatural realm as 5000 years of human beliefs have stated.

Has anyone stumbled across any Mokele Mbembe documentaries online?

I'd be really interested to see some native accounts.

But Lirael, what about the natives and their stories?

I understand that there are a lot of them claiming to have seen this creature?

The show I was watching about the Congo a couple of days ago, there was a tribe of pygmees living in the middle of Congo and their accounts of it was quite fascinating, even though to me it didnt sound like it was a giant rhino or a dinosaur?

im not saying that its a fake story all im saying is that there are some people out there who make up these stories for personal gain i mean with all the supposed ufo takings and all the different stories there would have to be some people out there like that proffessionally.

but about this story it may very well be true.

im not saying that its a fake story all im saying is that there are some people out there who make up these stories for personal gain i mean with all the supposed ufo takings and all the different stories there would have to be some people out there like that proffessionally.

Gotcha, see your point :tu:

A great deal of the reports (if not all) come from locals and missionaries? The locals gain? and missionaries get their reward from above so monetary gain is not a motivational factor here.

More likely the locals like the excited reaction they get when they point at a picture of a dinosaur.

I cannot understand what happened to the 07 January expedition, did someone discover it is a typical african Rhino and are keeping it quiet so that funding will continue for the mythical beast?

In that we have a motive. :yes:

This other show on Discovery had a group of people go talk to the natives in the Brazilian swamp there,and were talking to them about the Mokele-Mbembe,and they said thats not the only thing living there,theres snakes,crocs,and 7 foot tall monkeys,when they asked them to line up shoulder to shoulder of how big the croc they saw was,it added up to 55 feet,when the translator asked him if he was joking,the native replied that he should see the Adult ones,the snake came out to 65 feet,i forget how big the swamp was,anyone have any info on this show? i wanna watch it again.This Photo was taken from a plane flying over the congo,Time: Unknown,but its said to be the congo snake the natives were talking about.

post-55365-1182356864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Drathian666

^ Hold on Drathian, swamp? in Amazon? are you sure? I know there's a giant anaconda called the Sucuriju Gigante in Amazon, but I'm not sure about Mokele Mbembe there...in fact, I don't believe at all! And you said crocs that big? Yeah right, Crocs that big would be a feast to the anacondas!

And about the picture, I've seen it million times, some say it's in Amazon, others say it's in Congo (the most) and other say it's in Australia. I myself think that it's a real picture, regardless it's a giant snake or just a normal snake photographed in a strea in such fashion that made it look gigantic...

Anyway, do you know where Amazon is?

Yea it was a swamp,ill look for a link,im ALMOST sure they said Brazil,ill look hold on.