Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looking advice and help on sewing quilts

Beckys_Mom

I was looking up baby boy cot ( crib) quilts....saw a number of lovely patchwork quilts and some personalised ..

With my baby only being a few months away...I sat wondering how hard are these do make yourself? What is involved?

Would I need to get myself a sewing machine? or could I do it by hand ?

Last time I ever used a sewing machine was in school and I was useless with them... But I would like to see what it would be like to make my very own hand made quilt for my new baby's cot ( crib)...

Has anyone here ever made quilts? If so... are they time consuming? What al is involved? Do I go and buy material of all sorts? or do I cut up old clothes? I have no idea where to start to be honest....How do people make them nice and plump?

What about patterns? How do I use them?

I can personalise cards and favours and I design business cards and flyers ect.. But I have no clue how to work with cloth and sewing...I have never trained how use a sewing machine... I am wondering if it is just as costly to make one than it is to buy one?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated...........and I am so sorry for the several questions asked...I just have not attempted it before

Edited by Beckys_Mom

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• JGirl

• rashore

• ohio traveler

you can hand sew a quilt but i don't recommend it

making a quilt is very simple actually, it's just time consuming

begin by collecting fabrics that you want to use. cut the squares uniformly and lay out the pattern you want to use

next, (at least this is how i did it) sew the squares into strips according to the pattern you are making (if you aren't going random with them)

then sew the strips to each other side by side of course

once you have done that you have the surface of the quilt.

i used a flannel sheet for the bottom of my quilt. i laid it out, then put the quilt batting down, then laid the top of my quilt.

i attached them together by stitching one stitch (through all layers) about every third square, then sewed the entire quilt around the edges.

you can do a blanket stitch to do the edges or use the sewing machine.

edit to add

you can use any fabric, new or used, but do not go with jersey or other stretchy type fabrics, or fabrics that fray easily.

Edited by JGirl

My mom makes alot of them. She stitches all of the squares together with an electric sewing machine. But she has someone else do the backing part.

The backings have some sort of fancier stitch work done. ( Which is why she has someone else do it )

I have one on my bed right now that she done. It's very warm. I love it.

I've done a quilt with a group of quilters. We each color blocked one section an then just sewed one section and then passed them around. Then everyone had the same quilt. It was fun. Meetup.com has quilting groups. If you are doing a baby blanket it might be a nice way to meet some new mom friends.

http://quilting.meetup.com/

My two cents.. Girlfriend, you are already preggers. Completely learning how to sew and getting a quilting project done on time for the baby might be more stress than it's worth. Save your cash and skip the machine unless you really want to learn how to sew and you know you will be using it.

Go fleece. Fleece is super for making soft fuzzy blankets with. Just make SURE you get the kind that is marked approved for kids bedding/pj action, not all of it is.

Take your big square of fleece and do hand work to it. Embroidery, Applique, trim around the edges... All of these can be done by hand in reasonable amounts of time. If you want to use iron on patches, make sure you handstitch them around the edges in addition to the ironing to ensure that they don't come loose under much washing and loving.

If you still want to go for the quilting project after that.. Perhaps make a quilt that's of size for the first "big kids" bed. Give yourself a gratuitous amount of time to learn sewing and quilting and really make up something nice.

You probably will want a machine, it would make things much faster. If it does cause too much stress, have the hubby help!

This is not a plug for a site, but I go here for a lot of my tutorials on just about anything.

instuctables.com quilting 101

Good luck and have fun with it, should you choose.

My two cents.. Girlfriend, you are already preggers. Completely learning how to sew and getting a quilting project done on time for the baby might be more stress than it's worth. Save your cash and skip the machine unless you really want to learn how to sew and you know you will be using it.

Go fleece. Fleece is super for making soft fuzzy blankets with. Just make SURE you get the kind that is marked approved for kids bedding/pj action, not all of it is.

Take your big square of fleece and do hand work to it. Embroidery, Applique, trim around the edges... All of these can be done by hand in reasonable amounts of time. If you want to use iron on patches, make sure you handstitch them around the edges in addition to the ironing to ensure that they don't come loose under much washing and loving.

If you still want to go for the quilting project after that.. Perhaps make a quilt that's of size for the first "big kids" bed. Give yourself a gratuitous amount of time to learn sewing and quilting and really make up something nice.

good point about kid safe fabrics. i didn't think about that!

you can hand sew a quilt but i don't recommend it

making a quilt is very simple actually, it's just time consuming

begin by collecting fabrics that you want to use. cut the squares uniformly and lay out the pattern you want to use

next, (at least this is how i did it) sew the squares into strips according to the pattern you are making (if you aren't going random with them)

then sew the strips to each other side by side of course

once you have done that you have the surface of the quilt.

i used a flannel sheet for the bottom of my quilt. i laid it out, then put the quilt batting down, then laid the top of my quilt.

i attached them together by stitching one stitch (through all layers) about every third square, then sewed the entire quilt around the edges.

you can do a blanket stitch to do the edges or use the sewing machine.

edit to add

you can use any fabric, new or used, but do not go with jersey or other stretchy type fabrics, or fabrics that fray easily.

Ok, this indeed was very helpful............ I wonder if...I where to create my own designs using my computer...( because I am forever doing that)... how could I get my own design sewed on to the patches? Is there a way you can do it?

Like print a few off.. how can I sew a design on to the quilt?

Yea it could well be more stress than it's worth, you make a good point... Especially because I have never really sewed before, and obviously have no sewing machine... It would mean buying one, then putting a lot of work into something I am unsure of ........I was just hoping it would be one of those things, that may look harder than they are..ya know? Like if you see something done and it looks like it was hard to do and so time consuming.. that it turns out it was easier than it looked..!!

I am at the pregnancy stage now where it hurts to stand and do something easy like the dishes... I even found it hurting when I tackled some ironing... So I guess sitting at a machine pulling away at material..non stop..would put some strain on me

Then My hubby suggested... What about hand stitching?...It may take time, but at least you can sit up in your comfy chair and take your time

Go fleece. Fleece is super for making soft fuzzy blankets with. Just make SURE you get the kind that is marked approved for kids bedding/pj action, not all of it is. Take your big square of fleece and do hand work to it. Embroidery, Applique, trim around the edges... All of these can be done by hand in reasonable amounts of time. If you want to use iron on patches, make sure you handstitch them around the edges in addition to the ironing to ensure that they don't come loose under much washing and loving.

Now there's a remarkable idea.. I think I just might do that...Yes indeed fleece would be great.. more so for the winter months

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Ok, this indeed was very helpful............ I wonder if...I where to create my own designs using my computer...( because I am forever doing that)... how could I get my own design sewed on to the patches? Is there a way you can do it?

Like print a few off.. how can I sew a design on to the quilt?

i think for that you need a computerized sewing machine. one you can program to do a specific design.

or if you want to embroider a design on top maybe you can use a transfer paper?

not sure how that would work

You probably will want a machine, it would make things much faster. If it does cause too much stress, have the hubby help!

This is not a plug for a site, but I go here for a lot of my tutorials on just about anything.

instuctables.com quilting 101

Good luck and have fun with it, should you choose.

WOW...look at those quilts... From looking at them..I tend to think - that must have taken ages ...

Good site you posted.. thank you

i think for that you need a computerized sewing machine. one you can program to do a specific design.

or if you want to embroider a design on top maybe you can use a transfer paper?

not sure how that would work

Ohhhh right....darn it... I was thinking about how they used to do it the old fashioned way... They have this circle thing.. and there is a design on it.. and they sew through it.. or something.. I have no clue what I am trying to say lol

Ohhhh right....darn it... I was thinking about how they used to do it the old fashioned way... They have this circle thing.. and there is a design on it.. and they sew through it.. or something.. I have no clue what I am trying to say lol

yes a quilting bee. i think what you're referring to is an embroidery hoop. it holds a section of the fabric taut so you can sew a design.

and the design would be put on with transfer paper i would think. at least that's how i heard it was done.

i've only ever made patchwork, and attached back to front with single stitches of embroidery thread every few squares as i mentioned.

if you want to do a fast cute one, why not use two receiving blankets with cute patterns and put the quilt batting in between, then hand stitch them together? that would be small enough that you could do a blanket stitch all the way around without it killing your fingers lol

(you still have to do the single stitching here and there to keep the two pieces of fabric from allowing the batting to shift in between)

Edited by JGirl

yes a quilting bee. i think what you're referring to is an embroidery hoop. it holds a section of the fabric taut so you can sew a design.

and the design would be put on with transfer paper i would think. at least that's how i heard it was done.

i've only ever made patchwork, and attached back to front with single stitches of embroidery thread every few squares as i mentioned.

if you want to do a fast cute one, why not use two receiving blankets with cute patterns and put the quilt batting in between, then hand stitch them together? that would be small enough that you could do a blanket stitch all the way around without it killing your fingers lol

(you still have to do the single stitching here and there to keep the two pieces of fabric from allowing the batting to shift in between)

So THAT'S what it is....a quilting bee... Thank you JGirl... I must look into one of those

Yeah, embroidery hoop... Not strictly necessary for fleece since fleece does not really have a weave that needs to be held even and taut, though they are rather nice to use if you are planning on a more complex pattern that actually requires that kind of stabilization. Personally I have never used a hoop on fleece. I have always just freehanded on it.

Note that transfer pencils and papers aren't the best for getting a pattern onto fleece because it is so fuzzy. Use a fine tip marker or felt pen instead if leaving a permanent lines isn't an issue, use a well sharpened soft graphite pencil or chalk pencils if those lines have to be removable. Though if you use chalk, handle the pattern with care while stitching.

Another embroidery tip to take note of.. Whatever you stitch on the front, there will be stitches on the back too, so take a little care where you place your needle.

I think Jgirls suggestion of using two premade pieces and quilting them together is an excellent one as well and could likely be done in the amount of time you have.

Yeah, embroidery hoop... Not strictly necessary for fleece since fleece does not really have a weave that needs to be held even and taut, though they are rather nice to use if you are planning on a more complex pattern that actually requires that kind of stabilization. Personally I have never used a hoop on fleece. I have always just freehanded on it.

Note that transfer pencils and papers aren't the best for getting a pattern onto fleece because it is so fuzzy. Use a fine tip marker or felt pen instead if leaving a permanent lines isn't an issue, use a well sharpened soft graphite pencil or chalk pencils if those lines have to be removable. Though if you use chalk, handle the pattern with care while stitching.

Another embroidery tip to take note of.. Whatever you stitch on the front, there will be stitches on the back too, so take a little care where you place your needle.

I think Jgirls suggestion of using two premade pieces and quilting them together is an excellent one as well and could likely be done in the amount of time you have.

You have posted some helpful tips rashore... I have made note.. Actually I have this thread bookmarked ... Thank you

Actually thank JGirl ect... you guys are helpful

You have posted some helpful tips rashore... I have made note.. Actually I have this thread bookmarked ... Thank you

Actually thank JGirl ect... you guys are helpful

you'll have to take a photo when you're finished so we can see your handiwork :tu:

you'll have to take a photo when you're finished so we can see your handiwork :tu:

IF it turns out right lol ph34r.gif

Handstitching is a wonderful art that can be very relaxing :) Glad to be of help.

Another tip, and this one just comes to my own personal preference. Since it's fleece, I would recommend using pearl cotton for embroidery, embroidery floss for stitching around your applique and patches, and sewing thread for stitching on trim around the edges.

I just think pearl cotton stands out better on fleece, especially when you use it full strand. Embroidery floss has a quicker fill rate than sewing thread does for going around edges. And sewing thread really is superior for trim edging.

For quick filling of largish spaces, like say a leaf. Couch your pearl cotton with sewing thread. If you make your stitches small and neat, and match your thread to your fleece, you won't even have to worry as much about what your backside stitches look like.

If you don't feel like or want to do trim around the edges at all- fleece is super easy to do fringing with. This is a pretty decent site to show you a few ways to do so. Note that since this is a baby blanket, don't make your fringe longer than 7-8 cm, since longer than that starts to become a possible safety issue of baby trying to eat fringe.

Handstitching is a wonderful art that can be very relaxing :) Glad to be of help.

Another tip, and this one just comes to my own personal preference. Since it's fleece, I would recommend using pearl cotton for embroidery, embroidery floss for stitching around your applique and patches, and sewing thread for stitching on trim around the edges.

I just think pearl cotton stands out better on fleece, especially when you use it full strand. Embroidery floss has a quicker fill rate than sewing thread does for going around edges. And sewing thread really is superior for trim edging.

Never heard of Embroidery floss before, I would have to look into it more and use it if I go ahead with this... thanks for that tip

EDIT - Wait.. I forgot to ask... With this embroidery floss, you use a normal sewing needle?

For quick filling of largish spaces, like say a leaf. Couch your pearl cotton with sewing thread. If you make your stitches small and neat, and match your thread to your fleece, you won't even have to worry as much about what your backside stitches look like.

If you don't feel like or want to do trim around the edges at all- fleece is super easy to do fringing with. This is a pretty decent site to show you a few ways to do so. Note that since this is a baby blanket, don't make your fringe longer than 7-8 cm, since longer than that starts to become a possible safety issue of baby trying to eat fringe

Decent site you posted...helpful tips on how to finish the blanket off.. A clear and easy to understand guide... Yes I have to agree about the stitching, making it smaller and neat..I never really worry too much about the stitching any time I do sew... My only problem is, pulling to hard with the needle and it all crumples up..!!

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Well when you are in the crafting store, and keep in mind I'm basing this off how those stores are set up here, it may be a tad different by you.

Embroidery floss is usually in a series of bins, the floss is smooth- and yes, you do need special needles for it, embroidery needles. Same exact thing as a sewing needle, but bigger, particularly in the eye so you can put the bigger floss through it. It comes as a six strand hank, and you would be separating off two of the strands at a time for embroidery.

Pearling cotton comes in hanks too, but they look like twisted rope rather than smooth floss.

Both of these will be found in the same area as embroidery hoops, so look for the hoops. Usually this stuff is separate from yarn, sewing thread, and other notions.

And I just realized you might not know what couching is. Basically, you would just lay your pearl cotton on top of the fabric, then sew it into place using sewing thread. The effect looks like this.

And yep, if you find a yarn you like a lot for this purpose, you can use that instead of pearl cotton. Just make sure it's a washable yarn.

And a rather nice part about doing all this hand stitching is it can give you some valuable practice for when you decide to start putting a quilt together, and how to do the stitching to finish that off :)

Well when you are in the crafting store, and keep in mind I'm basing this off how those stores are set up here, it may be a tad different by you.

Embroidery floss is usually in a series of bins, the floss is smooth- and yes, you do need special needles for it, embroidery needles. Same exact thing as a sewing needle, but bigger, particularly in the eye so you can put the bigger floss through it. It comes as a six strand hank, and you would be separating off two of the strands at a time for embroidery.

Pearling cotton comes in hanks too, but they look like twisted rope rather than smooth floss.

Both of these will be found in the same area as embroidery hoops, so look for the hoops. Usually this stuff is separate from yarn, sewing thread, and other notions.

And I just realized you might not know what couching is. Basically, you would just lay your pearl cotton on top of the fabric, then sew it into place using sewing thread. The effect looks like this.

And yep, if you find a yarn you like a lot for this purpose, you can use that instead of pearl cotton. Just make sure it's a washable yarn.

And a rather nice part about doing all this hand stitching is it can give you some valuable practice for when you decide to start putting a quilt together, and how to do the stitching to finish that off :)

I have a set of sewing needles..some of them are bigger than your average needles...I guess they could be for the floss ...I now know exactly what to look for thank you

You're right, it will give me lots of practice ...and practice is greatly needed ....

Thanks again

IF it turns out right lol ph34r.gif

i think it will.

something tells me that when you set your mind to something you follow through with it to your own personal satisfaction.

i like that about you

• 2 years later...

There should be a quilt guild fairly close to you.

Ask at the fabric store.

I've made 1 - just squares - but took forever & was hard to handle & sew - i made it out of our used jeans and it was a Cal King with sides & pillow tuck - 27 pounds dry .... Only need 1 blanket know no matter how cold.....

My Mom has started a couple guilds.

You can even look them up through apps