Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Cup 2014

LucidElement

I filled out my World Cup Bracket and I have FRANCE winning, regardless that a couple players are down. Is this a bad choice? I just feel like SPAIN, GERMANY, and ITALY will be upset? But then again who knows in the Cup. Is France a stretch though?

• Like 1

Personally, I would say that France is a stretch, considering what happened at the last World Cup.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/408843-2010-fifa-world-cup-france-in-shambles-as-players-refuse-to-play

They 'went on strike' obviously a very French thing to do!

Seriously, though I do hope to see France do way much better this time around!

I'm going to root for my home nation, USA and my adopted nation: England. If either of them get knocked out, then at least I have a backup to root for. :)

One thing is for certain, England will do better in this year's World Cup, than the UK did at Eurovision...for the past several years now.

:tu:

• Like 1

The heat is going to be a factor for a lot of the European teams.I fancy Spain to do well,Argentina and Brazil will be up there too.England will be lucky to get to the second stage

• Like 2

Yes very good point, Dr. No. If my British husband is anything to go by, when it gets near 70 F he'll strip almost bare naked and run around the house exclaming, 'I can't stand it!'

I come from a much hotter climate... and it doesn't actually get 'hot' in this country for me. Heck, I'm still turning on the fake fire sometimes throughout the day!

I can only hope that no one at the Cup suffers from heat exhaustion, but I will not be surprised if anyone does.

Im an American, however i do have them adavancing with Germany out of the group stage. haha hope that does happen. I just have a weird feeling about France, I dont really like the french, but I like Benzema and my favorite player used to be Thierry Henry, which I followed Arsenal. And most of the Arsenal players used to be/ are on the French national team... regardless that they lost Ribery, i think they should do alright!?

"""""You may have noticed that France are quite a good team. Sure, they very nearly didn't make it to the World Cup after finishing second in their group behind Spain and then going 2-0 down in their playoff against Ukraine, but they've rebounded and despite the loss of Franck Ribéry to a back injury, they're currently playing magnificent stuff. 8-0 against Jamaica is an impressive result no matter how you slice it (and trolling Usain Bolt in the aftermath added an adorable element of cartoon villainy to the whole enterprise), and if you really like this sport you'll surely appreciate their combination of high-scoring forwards with balance in the rest of their side.

Their goalkeeper is talented and entertaining. Their defence is good enough to take seriously, and in Patrice Evra insane enough to truly enjoy. Their midfield contains a pleasing blend of muscularity and precision, with Blaise Matuidi and Baby God Paul Pogba flanking the creative force of Yohan Cabaye like a pair of particularly under-dressed bodyguards. And up front... well, when you can replace Ribéry with Antoine Griezmann and Karim Benzema is your centre forward, you're in good shape.""""""

I wouldn't expect to much from France, they have an easy group so reaching the knockouts shouldn't be a problem. But like England and Italy they will suffer immensely in the South American heat.

Out of the Europeans Spain have the experience and ability to do well and Germany could do well with their work ethic and enthusiasm but ultimately European teams do not excel outside of Europe.

Personally I think you are looking at Argentina or Brazil to take the trophy. I would lean towards Argentina as they have a stronger front line and will not be under the immense pressure that Brazil will be under to win.

Either way I just cannot wait for it to start, at least 3 England games and the spectacle of the best of the world competing at the beautiful game, just a shame FIFA have to be involved at all really...

I'm going to root for my home nation, USA and my adopted nation: England. If either of them get knocked out, then at least I have a backup to root for. :)

So, who will you support after the group stage?

• Like 3

So, who will you support after the group stage?

New Zealand maybe? ;)

• Like 1

New Zealand maybe? ;)

Ha ha!

NZ used to play off against Asia, then they changed it to North and Central America. Mexico put 9 past them, so I don't think the world is missing much.

I'm an exiled Englishman and, like all of us, I remain eternally optimistic. Until we get knocked out and then all blame the ref.

Love the avatar BTW.

Edited by Arbenol68
  • Like 1

Ha ha!

NZ used to play off against Asia, then they changed it to North and Central America. Mexico put 9 past them, so I don't think the world is missing much.

I'm an exiled Englishman and, like all of us, I remain eternally optimistic. Until we get knocked out and then all blame the ref.

Once I clicked the post button I had a niggling feeling that you are not a native New Zealander.

I remember the uproar when they changed the continental qualifications, it does seem strange but then again FIFA are not known for their great decision making.

I too am always optimistic, but prepared for the pain. ;)

Love the avatar BTW.

Cheers :)

• Like 1

France has some bad luck since WC in Africa but it would not surprise me if France, even without 2 standard players, will make it in top 4. Group phase should be easy for them but its WC - anything is possible.

As this is first time that my country has qualified i am very happy about this WC and i do hope that Bosnia will go tru group stage and hopefully Croatia will surprise this year's host - it will be interesting game tonight.

• Like 2

I am gonna say Brazil. They allways have a good team and you shouldn't underestimate the home advantage.

Germany would be my second choice. Eventhough Reus is out, they still have a very complete team.

My heart says Spain, but I think the present team has peaked, many of the key players are past their prime.

The wildcart is Belgium. Its a young team, but the line-up is very impressive: Courtois, Kompany, Hazard, Lukaku, Vermaelen, Fellaini, Witsel etc.

To bad my country, Denmark, isn't there, but we are just not good enough at the moment. We do have quite a few promising players on the way, but right now we probably only have two players that would be good enough for the World Cup, Daniel Agger (Liverpool) and Christian Eriksen (Tottenham). In his own mind, Niclas Bendner is probably the best player in the World :tu:

• Like 1

Argentina for me. (even though I don't like them)

For my 'outside bet', I'll go for England. They have a good blend of youth and experience. (If Roy plays them)

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Did you hear that the English team visited a cancer hospital for children? "It was so sad to see the look of hopelessness in their eyes." said Eduardo, a 7 year old patient. :clap:

What a pile of crap the opening ceremony was... the game had a bit of life to it though.

Really gutted for Croatia, Brazil's win was down to bad refereeing, a diving striker and a bit of luck for good measure.

• Like 3

Did you hear that the English team visited a cancer hospital for children? "It was so sad to see the look of hopelessness in their eyes." said Eduardo, a 7 year old patient. :clap:

Now thats just mean Bama13 :P

Aye... Brazil don't look anything to be scared of.

Last time your boys played them in the opening game Brazil needed an own goal for the win.

Despite the poor showing I can't help feeling they have a chunk of luck on their side.

The Brazilian greats must have been embarrassed by Freds diving though, all that ability, support and history and he resorted to falling over.

• Like 1

Didn't see that Netherlands/Spain result coming - so much me for me drawing Spain in the office sweepstake!

• Like 3

I was very impressed with the Dutch last night,a convincing victory.

• Like 2

England 3 - 1 Italy

No sitting on the fence, guys. Give us your predictions!

Come on Cameroon!! (I drew them in the office sweep.)

Sadly I can't see the Socceroos achieving much this time..

I'm going for Italy 1 England 1 in a dire game.Hopefully I will be wrong but I'm not expecting much from a very average English side.