Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA: Martians likely lived underground

Bildr

If life ever existed on Mars, it's likely that its longest-lasting enclaves would be underground.

"If surface habitats were short-term, that doesn't mean we should be glum about prospects for life on Mars," says Bethany Ehlmann, the lead author of a new NASA report on the Red Planet, "but it says something about what type of environment we might want to look in.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Bildr

This is interesting I wonder how common it might be that civilizations might live under the surface of a world.

• Like 1

The bias against living underground has to do with our evolutionary history as tree- and later savannah-dwellers. H.G. Wells fantasized convincingly about a race of intelligent ant-like beings that lived quite happily in the interior of the Moon, in his novel: 'The First Men in the Moon'.

Edited by bison

They hide not only because of atmospheric conditions on the Martian surface, they hide from possible alien invaders and underground water acquifers could be found within the dusty red planet. Mars is the closest thing the solar system has to earth, and the opposite of the Greenhouse effect observed on Venus oddly with a closely matched size of Earth.

Maybe they lived underground because of lack of materials to build other types of shelter or compared to other alternatives it was easy.

Why is everyone jumping on Martians being intelligent creatures? Ever think that bacteria and such might be the only life on mars?

• Like 1

Fairytales, better work on your next space vehicle and stop doing fail reports, what are people doing nowdays with their money is a freakin' crime.

The American Presidents hideout is under a mountain !,so if Mars residents had a war ,wouldnt it be obvious that their top brass would have disappeared underground,a lot of earth species are happy living underground and one day we may have to if the sun decides to get hotter

could it be also down to food sources? seeing as human evolution seemed to be driven by the search for food.

edit to add: ofcourse Boon may be correct...and they are hiding from the government :P

Edited by quillius

The bias against living underground has to do with our evolutionary history as tree- and later savannah-dwellers. H.G. Wells fantasized convincingly about a race of intelligent ant-like beings that lived quite happily in the interior of the Moon, in his novel: 'The First Men in the Moon'.

Yes, however that was science fiction and should not be confused with anything in the real world. I could list at least sixty things in that novel that make absolutely no scientific sense starting with the "gravity shield" they use to travel to the Moon.

a lot of earth species are happy living underground and one day we may have to if the sun decides to get hotter

None of these species spend their entire lives underground.

how come when ever i hear this kind of rant there is neeeeever ever ever any evidence. guess there camera shy.and ya what about fosils?, foot prints, SOMETHING!

One of the biggest problems for people/beings living underground would be disposal of waste, waste of all types. Just think about how great a problem that would be, for a group, colony, or city of people of any size. Waste disposal would require major major planning, engineering, and 24/7/365 (Earth terms) constant attention and disposition.

One of the questions not yet answered by NASA, is the higher than expected levels of methane gas on Mars. One possible source of methane is from geological activity, and another source is from some type of biological activity. Methane could be an indicator of life on Mars. On Earth, methane gas sources include gas generated by landfillls and human sewer waste, so, a determination of where the methane gas on Mars is coming from should be pretty high on NASA's "things to do" list. If the methane is "life" generated, I suppose that could be from surface life, or from underground life.

A few of months ago, I found a site on a high quality Mars Orbiter photo that, after much study, I decided it looked like what a human sewer waste surface dump would look like. Why did I decide that?? Well, it was a large area, it looked "sprayed", and there was a feature that looked like it could be a source of the spray. As a matter of interest, since then, I have seen a much earlier research finding of a similar, but very different site, posted on another website, and the poster did refer to it as likely industrial waste coming from an underground site.

So, there seems to be numerous indicators on the surface of Mars, that could imply the possibility of "life" under the surface. The methane gas is old news, but I will include a link for just one article, in case there might be someone here who hasn't read about it before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7829315.stm

Edited by rdunk

The methane on Mars can lead to only one possible conclusion; Martians don't have enough beano.

3979895-beano-food-enzyme-dietary.jpg

Or maybe it's something else... :unsure2:

One of the biggest problems for people/beings living underground would be disposal of waste, waste of all types. Just think about how great a problem that would be, for a group, colony, or city of people of any size. Waste disposal would require major major planning, engineering, and 24/7/365 (Earth terms) constant attention and disposition.

One of the questions not yet answered by NASA, is the higher than expected levels of methane gas on Mars. One possible source of methane is from geological activity, and another source is from some type of biological activity. Methane could be an indicator of life on Mars. On Earth, methane gas sources include gas generated by landfillls and human sewer waste, so, a determination of where the methane gas on Mars is coming from should be pretty high on NASA's "things to do" list. If the methane is "life" generated, I suppose that could be from surface life, or from underground life.

A few of months ago, I found a site on a high quality Mars Orbiter photo that, after much study, I decided it looked like what a human sewer waste surface dump would look like. Why did I decide that?? Well, it was a large area, it looked "sprayed", and there was a feature that looked like it could be a source of the spray. As a matter of interest, since then, I have seen a much earlier research finding of a similar, but very different site, posted on another website, and the poster did refer to it as likely industrial waste coming from an underground site.

So, there seems to be numerous indicators on the surface of Mars, that could imply the possibility of "life" under the surface. The methane gas is old news, but I will include a link for just one article, in case there might be someone here who hasn't read about it before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7829315.stm

but those tunnels had been blasted long ago... so how come the recent activity... B)

The methane on Mars can lead to only one possible conclusion; Martians don't have enough beano.

Or maybe it's something else... :unsure

.....................................................................................................................................................

"beano"............................................... and .................................boono (chg y to o) ...............................................would almost rhyme! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Or names for your next set of twins! :tu:

Edited by rdunk

Or maybe it's something else... :unsure2:

Irritable Organelle Syndrome? Perchance...

Irritable Organelle Syndrome? Perchance...

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

The screenshot might help a few folks!

post-118009-0-43662400-1320901806_thumb.

Underground is where it's at, there is an endless supply of dirt to eat, though the views are nothing to talk about.

but those tunnels had been blasted long ago... so how come the recent activity... B)

........................................................................................

Mcrom, I am not ignoring your question, but I don't know anything about "tunnels", not sure what you are referring to.