Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New Radiation Belt Discovered Around Earth

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,914 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

New Radiation Belt Discovered Around Earth

NASA's Van Allen Probes mission has discovered a previously unknown third radiation belt around Earth, revealing the existence of unexpected structures and processes within these hazardous regions of space.

http://www.scienceda...30228155430.htm

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,082 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Previously Undetected Radiation Belt Revealed

Since their discovery over 50 years ago, the Earth’s Van Allen radiation belts have been considered to consist of two distinct zones of trapped, highly energetic charged particles. Observations from NASA’s Van Allen Probes reveal an isolated third ring in the outer radiation belt.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

Is there any possibility that the 3th radioactive belt is man made, buy secret nuclear testing above the earth atmosphere?
Its kind a strange that its took so long to find a 3th radioactive belt and there were so many space flights with instruments on board.

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,082 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

View Postdiablo_04, on 03 March 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

Is there any possibility that the 3th radioactive belt is man made, buy secret nuclear testing above the earth atmosphere?
None, you couldn't keep a nuclear detonation in low Earth orbit secret.

View Postdiablo_04, on 03 March 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

Its kind a strange that its took so long to find a 3th radioactive belt and there were so many space flights with instruments on board.
Why is it strange?
Most satellites travel below or above the radiation belts to avoid the problems that long exposure to radiation would cause, so there is still a lot not known about this region of space.

The article also points out that this third belt was a transient event:

Scientists observed the third belt for four weeks before a powerful interplanetary shock wave from the sun annihilated it.

If we assume this is not a one off event then the factr that this belt is so short lived means that it should not be surprising that it has been missed before.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 04 March 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

None, you couldn't keep a nuclear detonation in low Earth orbit secret.

Why is it strange?
Most satellites travel below or above the radiation belts to avoid the problems that long exposure to radiation would cause, so there is still a lot not known about this region of space.

The article also points out that this third belt was a transient event:

If we assume this is not a one off event then the factr that this belt is so short lived means that it should not be surprising that it has been missed before.

Sounds like it showed up just in time to protect us from  that radiaton shot.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,082 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

View Postdanielost, on 04 March 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

Sounds like it showed up just in time to protect us from  that radiaton shot.

The radiation belts aren't what protect us but are a result of the process that does. We are protected by the Earth's magnetic field which traps radioactive particles. It is these trapped particles whichcause the Van Allen belts.

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users