Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voters head to polls for EU & Local Elections

stevewinn

Voters heading to polls for European and council elections

Millions of people are voting in the European election and local council polls in England and Northern Ireland on Thursday.

It is the final big test of public opinion before 2015's general election.

All 73 UK seats in the European Parliament - the EU's only directly elected body - are up for grabs, along with 4,216 seats on local councils, nearly half of them in London.

Polling stations are open for voting between 07:00 and 22:00 BST.

• There are elections across the UK to the European Parliament on Thursday and elections to 161 councils in England and 11 in Northern Ireland.
  • Results for the local elections will come on Friday. Results for the European elections will be announced late on Sunday. You can follow full coverage with all the latest updates at bbc.co.uk/vote2014. There is a TV election special tonight on BBC One from 23:35 BST and a special on BBC Radio 4 and 5live from midnight.

The last European elections took place in 2009. Voting will take place in the EU's other 27 member states over the next four days, with 751 MEPs in total being chosen. Thursday also sees voting take place in the Netherlands.

Well, I've been and Voted. true to my word, standing at the polling booth i placed my X in UKIP's box. Up the Alamo.

It'll be interesting to see how UKIP do in the Local Elections. which we should get to know about roughly later tonight / into the early hours. But ultimately its the European Election result im most looking forward to. which we'll get a rough idea about. but wont fully know until Sunday european wide - but here in the UK law states the results have to be read out at the counting/polling centre. so we should get a good idea.So

lets, in the words of Nigel - Cause a political earthquake.

• Like 5

We're only voting for the European Regional elections in my ward - not the Local Government ones. (that's another two years away, I believe ?)

I voted UKIP, and I really really hope they do well. I think they have the potential to fire a massive 'shot across the bows' of the 'big three' parties who - in my opinion - have become complacent and arrogant beyond belief.

• Like 3

Well, I've been and Voted. true to my word, standing at the polling booth i placed my X in UKIP's box. Up the Alamo.

It'll be interesting to see how UKIP do in the Local Elections. which we should get to know about roughly later tonight / into the early hours. But ultimately its the European Election result im most looking forward to. which we'll get a rough idea about. but wont fully know until Sunday european wide - but here in the UK law states the results have to be read out at the counting/polling centre. so we should get a good idea.So

lets, in the words of Nigel - Cause a political earthquake.

My council only does local elections every four years so I couldnt vote for them in that. However UKIP got a big fat X on the EU one.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Ditto the above. Put my cross in the right place at 7.30 this morning.

• Like 2

Ditto the above. Put my cross in the right place at 7.30 this morning.

I think the boat is going to well and truly get rocked!

I think the boat is going to well and truly get rocked!

I bloody well hope so. Another 50 years of the usual suspects will truly sink this country, Nu Labour had a good go, but hopefully we can recover.

• Like 1

Britons seems to want to save their country. Good for you. Go UKIP. :D

"Rule, Britannia! - Britannia rule the waves. Britons never, never, never shall be slaves"

Rule, Britannia -

Pomp and Circumstance -

[media=]

• Like 3

Although I'm Libertarian and many of the UKIP party ideas conflict I'd be sure as hell aligning right now with this EU vote. After UKIP wins the trade threats will be sure to follow in the coming days. The thought that threats of trade is hypocrisy enough to get out of the EU immediately.

• Like 1

Blimey how long was that ballot paper!!!!!!

It was like 3 feet long with boxes the size Rubiks cubes!. Still it was easy to see that everyone had voted UKIP in my little village, :tu:

• Like 1

The BBC used to have exit polls to try and gauge the way the electorate were voting. Not for the EU elections apparently so why not? I have not seen a single exit poll published anywhere on any site.

If anyone comes across an exit poll could they link to it? Thanks

• Like 2

The BBC used to have exit polls to try and gauge the way the electorate were voting. Not for the EU elections apparently so why not? I have not seen a single exit poll published anywhere on any site.

If anyone comes across an exit poll could they link to it? Thanks

I found that strange also. plus in the last european elections here in the UK they read the results out as soon as the vote was counted. but not this time has something changed since which prevents them announcing the result?

something else im not happy with - as others have already said, at the polling station. i wasn't asked for ID, and had to use a pencil. couple this with postal voting and its on par with a banana republic. wide open to fraud me thinks. i did ask the woman behind the desk why pencils not pens. she didnt have a clue why. just lets hope rubbers/erasers were banned at the counting centres.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

Its always been pencils at my polling station,quite thick ones though, you would have a hard time erasing a vote unless you barely touched the paper

I found that strange also. plus in the last european elections here in the UK they read the results out as soon as the vote was counted. but not this time has something changed since which prevents them announcing the result?

something else im not happy with - as others have already said, at the polling station. i wasn't asked for ID, and had to use a pencil. couple this with postal voting and its on par with a banana republic. wide open to fraud me thinks. i did ask the woman behind the desk why pencils not pens. she didnt have a clue why. just lets hope rubbers/erasers were banned at the counting centres.

I have since discovered Steve that there is a EU Regulation, enacted in the UK (thanks to BBC for this info) stating:

30. - (1) No person shall in the case of a European Parliamentary election publish before the close of the poll -

(a) any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information given by voters after they have voted, or

( B) any forecast as to the result of the election which is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information so given.

(2) If a person acts in contravention of paragraph (1), he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months.

(3) In this regulation -

"close of the poll" means, in the case of a general election of MEPs, the close of the polling in the Member State whose electors are the last to vote in the election;

"forecast" includes estimate;

"publish" means make available to the public at large, or any section of the public, in whatever form and by whatever means;

and any reference to the result of an election is a reference to the result of the election either as a whole or so far as any particular registered party or individual candidate at the election is or are concerned.

The intent is good (not to influence those who have yet to vote) but the EU Parliament - in an act of supreme hypocrisy) quoted on BBC.CO.UK:

It all feels uncomfortable and there may well be pressure for a review before future European elections. And in the short term, similar issues are likely to arise on Sunday as the European Parliament itself has said it plans to release details of national exit polls while other countries are still voting.

Well, I suppose if the European electorate starts straying from their EU masters wishes then they have one last trick up their sleeve to try and persuade people to vote in the "correct" way... :unsure2: So, the EU Parliament break 30.2 above will they in Toto be sentenced to 6 months incarceration?? Just a thought

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 1

Well, I suppose if the European electorate starts straying from their EU masters wishes then they have one last trick up their sleeve to try and persuade people to vote in the "correct" way... :unsure2: So, the EU Parliament break 30.2 above will they in Toto be sentenced to 6 months incarceration?? Just a thought

Most of Europe doesnt vote for MEPs until Sunday. Its only the UK and Holland that did it yesterday.

• Like 1

Most of Europe doesnt vote for MEPs until Sunday. Its only the UK and Holland that did it yesterday.

I know, but having the opportunity to influence the remaining 26 EU Nations may be too tempting, even if it means breaking their own regulations.

• Like 1

Makes a nice change to have a good news day.

• Like 2

was anyone else sick to death as to the response from the political party leaders. all the three main parties had a terrible election all of them losing ground. but if you listen to the leaders when questioned their party done well, but their rivals suffered. when the cold hard truth is they all done rubbish, and received a kicking. but they wont admit it - But there is no denying the day belonged to UKIP.

• Like 2

was anyone else sick to death as to the response from the political party leaders. all the three main parties had a terrible election all of them losing ground. but if you listen to the leaders when questioned their party done well, but their rivals suffered. when the cold hard truth is they all done rubbish, and received a kicking. but they wont admit it - But there is no denying the day belonged to UKIP.

It's a politicians reflex action. Come on Steve, you wouldn't expect them to tell the truth would you? that would set some sort of precedent.

What makes me laugh tho' is all the vitriol thrown at UKIP and their supporters in the Guardian comments page. It's a real hoot.

They love (the left) to throw around the word 'racist' as though somehow it gives them the moral high ground, whilst all the time ignoring the fact that they were probably the ones who voted in the Labour government (twice) that took part in two illegal foreign wars, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent foreign civilians..........now, how racist is that?

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

Labour: We have to do a better job of getting our message across about how we'll fix the economy. Totally oblivous to UKIPs victory being about the EU and immigration. They're like the Titanic sailing towards the iceberg. Unable (or unwilling) to acknowledge the threat to them and as a result why UKIP did so well. Not surprised by that as they see everyone who disagrees with their stance as racist.

Conservatives: Osbourne said this morning we must listen to the public and respond. Vote for us not labour and you will get your EU referendum. Well Mr Osbourne I dont believe a word that comes out of your mouth and neither do most others. His whole speech was about trying to convince the public that UKIP arent big enough yet so people must choose between Labour and Conservative. He contradicted himself there as thats not responding.

Media: UKIP did well in certain areas but badly in others like London. Thats a nice distortion as it doesnt include the low number of UKIP councillors who stood in London. The media are onboard with the Tories, desperate to protect and please their pay masters. Desperate to avoid the loss in revenue for themselves which will occur upon a EU exist.

UKIP are gonna grow some more at the GE. When they reach the point where they're big enough to contest all seats we'll get a UKIP Government. The reason being is the others are encapable of change and with their poor track records on delivering what they promised then no one believes them anyway.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 3

It's a politicians reflex action. Come on Steve, you wouldn't expect them to tell the truth would you? that would set some sort of precedent.

What makes me laugh tho' is all the vitriol thrown at UKIP and their supporters in the Guardian comments page. It's a real hoot.

They love (the left) to throw around the word 'racist' as though somehow it gives them the moral high ground, whilst all the time ignoring the fact that they were probably the ones who voted in the Labour government (twice) that took part in two illegal foreign wars, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent foreign civilians..........now, how racist is that?

Well we live in hope that maybe just maybe they'd tell the truth, but still we wait.

Labour: We have to do a better job of getting our message across about how we'll fix the economy. Totally oblivous to UKIPs victory being about the EU and immigration. They're like the Titanic sailing towards the iceberg. Unable (or unwilling) to acknowledge the threat to them and as a result why UKIP did so well. Not surprised by that as they see everyone who disagrees with their stance as racist.

Conservatives: Osbourne said this morning we must listen to the public and respond. Vote for us not labour and you will get your EU referendum. Well Mr Osbourne I dont believe a word that comes out of your mouth and neither do most others. His whole speech was about trying to convince the public that UKIP arent big enough yet so people must choose between Labour and Conservative. He contradicted himself there as thats not responding.

Media: UKIP did well in certain areas but badly in others like London. Thats a nice distortion as it doesnt include the low number of UKIP councillors who stood in London. The media are onboard with the Tories, desperate to protect and please their pay masters. Desperate to avoid the loss in revenue for themselves which will occur upon a EU exist.

UKIP are gonna grow some more at the GE. When they reach the point where they're big enough to contest all seats we'll get a UKIP Government. The reason being is the others are encapable of change and with their poor track records on delivering what they promised then no one believes them anyway.

I see the polls are saying, at the General Election its likely to be another coalition government and it could be Con/Labour or Labour/Lib Dem. but the most probable is a Con/UKIP coalition government. UKIP could, this time next year be King makers, and that would be the political earthquake i think we're all looking forward to.

• Like 1

Well we live in hope that maybe just maybe they'd tell the truth, but still we wait.

I see the polls are saying, at the General Election its likely to be another coalition government and it could be Con/Labour or Labour/Lib Dem. but the most probable is a Con/UKIP coalition government. UKIP could, this time next year be King makers, and that would be the political earthquake i think we're all looking forward to.

UKIP should refuse to enter into a coalition. It doesnt want to sell out on its values like the LibDems have done. If it stays strong and keeps going forward on its own it will get Government itself. It wont happen this coming GE, they've still got growing to do.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

UKIP should refuse to enter into a coalition. It doesnt want to sell out on its values like the LibDems have done. If it stays strong and keeps going forward on its own it will get Government itself. It wont happen this coming GE, they've still got growing to do.

I'd be in favour of a UKIP coalition, it would hold the government to a in/out referendum and so achieving UKIP's aim. although UKIPs numbers would be small, they'd receive support from the Tory backbenchers, with the two parties being pretty similar the government of the day could get alot of legislation through parliament. im not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but ultimately the aim of UKIP has to be that In/Out Referendum even if they have to do a deal with the devil himself.

I'd be in favour of a UKIP coalition, it would hold the government to a in/out referendum and so achieving UKIP's aim. although UKIPs numbers would be small, they'd receive support from the Tory backbenchers, with the two parties being pretty similar the government of the day could get alot of legislation through parliament. im not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but ultimately the aim of UKIP has to be that In/Out Referendum even if they have to do a deal with the devil himself.

If the Conservatives were serious about an EU referendum then why would we need to vote for them again to get it? They know if they gave us one tomorrow their popularity would go into orbit and they'd win a landslide majority at the next election. If they wont act in their best interests its kind of eye-brow raising. It gives a valuable insight into problems going on inside the party which stop it giving the public what they want. Why would re-election change that?

If UKIP listen to the lies it will end in tears. A party which is unable to act in its best interests isnt going to change because of a coalition with UKIP. The same people causing the same problems will continue on the Conservative Partys inability to give the public what they want. They will also set UKIP up for a fall so that its crediability is damaged. They would become the next sell-outs in the publics eye just like the Libs.

There is also a good chance that if UKIP holds its ground there will be a future attempt to either bankrupt it or make it illegal. Politicians determined to impose what they want on the population (left right or centre) will resort to underhand methods to keep their dreams alive.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Entirely personal opinion.... if UKIP become King Makers, then I , along with 500, 000 (half a million) of highly skilled, heavily qualified people would return to the UK to work. Break the stupid rules that sent us all abroad in the first place, break the stupid ties to the EU then I will bring myself and my company back to the UK. I pay for Apprentices because they are the best employees that I have, these apprentices should be UK Citizens, but they are mostly East European.

Wake Up UK... there is NO shortage of UK Citizens to perform all of the tasks required, just an influx of poorly qualified Eastern Europeans (many of which do not even meet basic English Lingual abilities)

• Like 1

post-39751-0-08175600-1400960035_thumb.j Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1