Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama's debt limit speech 1/14/13

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

Well, in theory, Congress is supposed to manage spending.  Making it a dept and thus switching it to the exectutive branch probably would upset a few people.

#17    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Psychic Spy

• 1,183 posts

• Nothing is worse than active ignorance. - Goethe

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

View Postninjadude, on 16 January 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

no the solution is to apply a spending limit. Not a debt ceiling. The difference is between what we could spend and what we already spent.

Uh, a debt ceiling which was actually observed would be a spending limit. Sorry, is that too complex?

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone to just sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. -Margaret Thatcher

#18    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

View Postsocrates.junior, on 16 January 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Uh, a debt ceiling which was actually observed would be a spending limit. Sorry, is that too complex?

apparently for you it is. The debt ceiling is a limit on PAYING bills ALREADY SPENT not future spending.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#19    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Psychic Spy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

View Postninjadude, on 17 January 2013 - 02:47 AM, said:

apparently for you it is. The debt ceiling is a limit on PAYING bills ALREADY SPENT not future spending.

Yep, it was too complex for you. Here, I'll try to explain again. If the government didn't spend MORE than it had (oh look, a limit on spending) it wouldn't go OVER the debt limit. Still too complex? Yeah, duh, the limit is paying bills which were already spent. Wait, would a solution be to NOT KEEP SPENDING?

I know, how radical?

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone to just sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. -Margaret Thatcher

#20    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,582 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Socrates, now you know that government math isn't the same as people math. Ninja has explained that many times.

Posted Image

#21    sslama

sslama

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• Say what you mean and mean what you say....that way I know who you are and what you stand for!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

I'm an outsider but pay attention to US politics.  Because as the old saying goes, if the US sneezes the rest of the world gets a cold.  The grand old Republican Party is over.  In chess....they call it Zugzwang...that is a situation in which every move avail to a player just worsens his position....that's the Republicans now. The Party cannot sustain itself in it's present form.  Perhaps they need a third party...that might change things.  In other countries they have more than two parties and it works better I think.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

#22    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

View Postsslama, on 17 January 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

I'm an outsider but pay attention to US politics.  Because as the old saying goes, if the US sneezes the rest of the world gets a cold.  The grand old Republican Party is over.  In chess....they call it Zugzwang...that is a situation in which every move avail to a player just worsens his position....that's the Republicans now. The Party cannot sustain itself in it's present form.  Perhaps they need a third party...that might change things.  In other countries they have more than two parties and it works better I think.

I'm canadian and most people who Ive talked american politics(in Canada) call the R's racist gun lovers because thats what the TV told them and they repeat it.  Most people don't generally research the news.  That's their own ignorance.  Most people have also been brainwashed into believing that Liberals(the D's) are more compassionate while Conservatives(the R's) are less caring.

I too believe that a 3rd party needs to rise.  The rise of the Libertarian Party.....  if it weren't for Libertarians America would have already gone to hell.  Many don't even realize that many of their personal opinion align with Libertarian values until its spelled out to them.

Fact:  Libertarians created America... they were called Classical Liberals back then

Edited by acidhead, 17 January 2013 - 03:59 AM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#23    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,799 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

View Postacidhead, on 17 January 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Fact:  Libertarians created America... they were called Classical Liberals back then
They were called traitors to the King ;)
Maybe that's what your nation needs, some good solid traitors to stand up for your beliefs.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#24    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

View Postacidhead, on 17 January 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

I'm canadian and most people who Ive talked american politics(in Canada) call the R's racist gun lovers because thats what the TV told them and they repeat it.  Most people don't generally research the news.  That's their own ignorance.  Most people have also been brainwashed into believing that Liberals(the D's) are more compassionate while Conservatives(the R's) are less caring.

I too believe that a 3rd party needs to rise.  The rise of the Libertarian Party.....  if it weren't for Libertarians America would have already gone to hell.  Many don't even realize that many of their personal opinion align with Libertarian values until its spelled out to them.

Most people think you are an American. :D ;)

#25    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 17 January 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Maybe that's what your nation needs, some good solid traitors to stand up for your beliefs.

We're called Libertarians.  ... and they're coming.... lol

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#26    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,582 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 17 January 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Maybe. But today the traitors are mostly those in power and those who believe them and while knowing what they're all about. Back then the king was just doing what he always did. Whatever he wanted. Today, our leaders aren't allowed to do whatever they want. They are to adhere to some pretty clear cut and strict guidelines on what they call an old piece of paper. When they don't, they become traitors.

Posted Image

#27    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,799 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

View Postacidhead, on 17 January 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

We're called Libertarians.  ... and they're coming.... lol
I must be tired, I read that as "we're called librarians".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#28    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,623 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 17 January 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I must be tired, I read that as "we're called librarians".

Not so wrong given that most "libertarians" don't know the difference. :innocent:

Edited by questionmark, 17 January 2013 - 12:50 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#29    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

View Postsocrates.junior, on 17 January 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

If the government didn't spend MORE than it had (oh look, a limit on spending) it wouldn't go OVER the debt limit.

apparently too simple of a concept for you. That is NOT how it works. The debt limit is limits what can be PAID not what can be spent.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#30    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Psychic Spy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

And ninja once...again...misses...the...point. Probably because it's hard when you're used to responding in one sentence, to read more than once sentence of somebody's post. I get it. It's hard for everyone. But we struggle through it.

Because I'm mildly insane, and I think that repetition helps with reading comprehension, I'll try one more time.

Yes, ninja, I'd like to start by acknowledging that you're ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CORRECT. The debt limit is indeed a limit on what can be PAID. Cue the fireworks. You're brilliant. But...you unfortunately missed the point. You see, the reason that the government PAYS is because the government SPENDS. In fact, believe it or not, it SPENDS what it does not HAVE. That is what the DEBT LIMIT is for. I'm glad you've grasped that part so far. Now, if the government paid attention to the DEBT LIMIT, and respected it, it would not SPEND more than it had, so it would not go beyond the DEBT LIMIT to PAY. Keeping up so far? That means that the DEBT LIMIT would become a de facto SPENDING LIMIT. This is because the government would not SPEND what it cannot PAY without raising the DEBT LIMIT.

God, I hope you get it this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users