Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best songwriter in your opinion?

Pink Cadillac

Hey guys. What's your favourite song writer, ever? It doesn't necessarily mean your favourite band or artist, just the songwriter that you think has the most talent. As we know, some of the biggest hits of the century have been written by people who don't perform them (like Aerosmith's 'Don't wanna miss a thing')

Or do you steer towards artists that write their own material? (Like I seem to do)

My personal favourite is Jeff Buckley. Amazing songwriter and performer.

John Williamson, Bernard Fanning/ Powderfinger, Alicia Keys, Seal, Elvis, Live! thumbsup.gif

jimmey mc carthy , eminem , james hetfield , the dubliners , avril lavigne , too many , dillon , springfield ,

Dr Luke. Jessie J , Britney Spears and Ke$ha

your taking the p*** right ?????????????????/ Kesha , really ........ really

Urm, Ke$ha wrote most of the top ten songs of 2011 with Dr.Luke. So no I'm not taking the p***.

I'm talking about Songwriting, Not musical talent.

Keith Reid immediately springs to mind for me!

Edited by schizoidwoman

In no particular order....

Gordon Lightfoot

John Lennon and Paul McCartney

Paul Simon

Al Stewart

Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley, Peter Steele, Bill Withers, Chris Cornell and Jerry Cantrell.

I can't choose between them!

Martin Gore

Hey guys. What's your favourite song writer, ever? It doesn't necessarily mean your favourite band or artist, just the songwriter that you think has the most talent. As we know, some of the biggest hits of the century have been written by people who don't perform them (like Aerosmith's 'Don't wanna miss a thing')

Or do you steer towards artists that write their own material? (Like I seem to do)

arctic monkeys, gorillaz, dave grohl, kurt kabagn and johnny cash

Do you mean Kurt Cobain not kurt kabagn.

I am sure he mean kurt kabagn.

Edited by Unseelie

Tom Waits, hands down. Otherwise, Bob Dylan, Danny Elfman, Till Lindemann, Shane MacGowan and I'm sure tons of others that will come to me later.

Urm, Ke$ha wrote most of the top ten songs of 2011 with Dr.Luke. So no I'm not taking the p***.

I'm talking about Songwriting, Not musical talent.

Being in the top ten doesn't mean musical or lyrical talent.

Of course it doesn't but we were asked our own opinion. Guess he relates to her lyrics and finds top ten appealing.

jimmey mc carthy , eminem , james hetfield , the dubliners , avril lavigne , too many , dillon , springfield ,

I do enjoy the Dubliners.

joe strummer for me.

As do I enjoy every band Joe Strummer was ever in. The Clash has been one of my favourite bands for an insane amount of time.

I wish I could fist bump people through the internet. It would be very appropriate at times like these.

I think Jack Johnson is a great songwriter. Probably one of the best.

As everyone said, there are many. Bernie Taupin and Elton John in the old days wrote some great music. " Yellow Brick Road" album.

In following what I mostly see in this thread I'm going to have to say 'Milli Vanilli'. :w00t:

Wow, I had to go through quite a few posts before I even found actual songwriters in this thread. I guess the younger generation doesn't realize that most of Pop Music these days is either:

• a stolen hook from a classic song
  • not actually written by your favorite 'performer'

Even Lady GaGa (who actually writes her own stuff) still steals hooks once in a while and it's obvious in a few of her songs. I am surprised Madonna hasn't sued her yet.

The rock side of music is pretty much just as bad. Take Nickelback for example, they rip off their OWN songs.

I would have to go back a few years to identify my favorite songwriters.

• Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starr
  • Jim Croce
  • Neil Young (not the best performer, but a hell of a songwriter)
  • Phil Collins (how many gold records does he have anyway?)
  • Cat Stevens
  • Willie Nelson (he even wrote Crazy which Patsy Cline made famous)
  • Neil Diamond (like Willie, he composed many popular songs for other people)

I could go on forever with this as there are so many songwriters out there that have inspired me.

• Like 1