Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christianity seems to be diminishing

Magicjax

Im just wondering how many of you agree or disagree with this.

Christianity is still the dominant religion of course as far as the number of people that consider themselves fallowers of the various sects of Christianity. I don't think it'll ever go away completely. But there's no doubt that it's influence on society has diminished in recent years. Not long ago it was rare for someone to speak out against religion. The consequences of doing so was much more severe then it is today. Today it's more common to be asked "do you believe in god?" but not long ago that was instantly assumed and they only asked "what church do you fallow"?

We atheist still get frowned upon. Some still dislike us the moment they find out we don't believe in god. We're still a minority. The same is true for any minority or petty differences. Racism still occurs but it's generally seen as a bad thing by society. Sexual horrasment, child abuse, woman's right, all these things still occur but most view them as terribly things. But each of these things were addressed with movements. People speaking out and taking action agaist these injustices. They weren't always viewed as societies epidemics until someone started to address them as such.

I truly believe that right now. The age we are currently living in. Will someday be remembered as a time of a religious movement. Not as a mark if the end of religion because I don't think it'll ever go away. But, I'm convinced that things are starting to change. The changes, I believe, won't be about religion itself but it's effects and influences it has on our societies.

Here are some of the things I think will happen in the near future. Some of them will seem a little petty. But none the less I do think they will happen as this shift occurs in religions impact on society.

I believe the churches will someday no longer have any relief of taxes in the USA.

"In god we trust" will be removed from our money.

Evolution will be taught in class rooms. Both sides of that debate will eventually come to terms enough to agree on that as learned knowledge we've obtained.

Religion will become more of a prIvate issue. I believe the number of churches will diminish. Religion will be kinda like being "home schooled". It'll be something people do for themselves in more privacy.

Christianity will become less devided into sects.

I'm not making predictions here. I'm simply sharing thoughts of possible changes I think might come during this shift that seems to be taking place today in the overall view of religion and it's effects in our society. I don't know if they'll happen. But I could see them as possibilities.

I know I don't judge anyone on their religious views. Id personally rather not even know anyone's views on religion. I'd rather judge people on their charecture. But it's sometimes hard to avoid when you see all the churches and their signs. When they come door to door and print on our money. It's influences are everywhere and I think that'll diminish someday. Not disappear but be less influential.

Edited by Magicjax

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChloeB

• CommunitarianKevin

• Beckys_Mom

• Robbie333

I do see a growing trend as well and I don't think it's a bad thing.

As to your point about evolution, however, I hope people finally realize that there is no debate. There is no 'otherside' to teach as there is no scientific theory that has held up to what we have now. I am not going to derail this thread and will not respond to any comments about evolution.

Most everybody I know is an atheist or an agnostic. I don't seek out friends based on their religion, I could care less what they believe. Even the people I grew up with who were very religious while young. While I have never encouraged them to turn away from their beliefs, I have encouraged them to study them more. I don't know what it is, but it seems that the more you know about religion, the less likely you are to have one. From my experience, of course.

It is, as it was written so long ago. There will be a decline, and then a revival when everything further spirals. 2020 should be interesting if there's anything to the various cultural and religious prophecies.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

I agree somewhat in what you say. Nice topic. I think religion is becoming more of a personal matter for people, here in the U.S., anyway.

I also think there is a general trend of people becoming more sophisticated about religion. It is more easy nowadays to express one's contrary thoughts about the subject. I remember when I was young, religion was a subject people around me were fearful to talk about, much less criticize.

Now I can safely state to almost anyone my views on religion without generating a negative response.

I'm sure most will want to keep believing in God, though, even as organized religion is possibly on the wane.

I took a comparative religion class a few years ago. It was remarkable how many people knew nothing about the central tenants of their faith other than 'Jesus did whatever'. Most were only religious because their parents were and several expressed that they didn't feel like they had a choice even if they didn't really believe.

That's quite removed from the many years ago I was in middle school and lost a debate about alien life because I said I didn't believe in god but 'the bible only says that god created man.".

The Bible actually supports your theory. The following verse is speaking about the changes that will occur on earth just prior to the Lord returning. The word apostasia is used in the original text and it is disputed whether it means "falling away" or "catching away" but the idea is that many Christians will depart from the faith prior to Christ's return. So in a sense, it's overall good news for Christianity even though it is tragic for those who stop believing.

2 Thessalonians 2:2-3 ... be not soon shaken in mind, or be

troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us,

as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by

any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a

falling away first,

So I agree with your thesis wholeheartedly. And I am comforted by seeing it come to pass. Maranatha!

Christianity is still the dominant religion of course as far as the number of people that consider themselves fallowers of the various sects of Christianity. I don't think it'll ever go away completely. But there's no doubt that it's influence on society has diminished in recent years. Not long ago it was rare for someone to speak out against religion. The consequences of doing so was much more severe then it is today. Today it's more common to be asked "do you believe in god?" but not long ago that was instantly assumed and they only asked "what church do you fallow"?

We atheist still get frowned upon. Some still dislike us the moment they find out we don't believe in god. We're still a minority. The same is true for any minority or petty differences. Racism still occurs but it's generally seen as a bad thing by society. Sexual horrasment, child abuse, woman's right, all these things still occur but most view them as terribly things. But each of these things were addressed with movements. People speaking out and taking action agaist these injustices. They weren't always viewed as societies epidemics until someone started to address them as such.

I truly believe that right now. The age we are currently living in. Will someday be remembered as a time of a religious movement. Not as a mark if the end of religion because I don't think it'll ever go away. But, I'm convinced that things are starting to change. The changes, I believe, won't be about religion itself but it's effects and influences it has on our societies.

Here are some of the things I think will happen in the near future. Some of them will seem a little petty. But none the less I do think they will happen as this shift occurs in religions impact on society.

I believe the churches will someday no longer have any relief of taxes in the USA.

Evolution will be taught in class rooms. Both sides of that debate will eventually come to terms enough to agree on that as learned knowledge we've obtained.

Religion will become more of a prIvate issue. I believe the number of churches will diminish. Religion will be kinda like being "home schooled". It'll be something people do for themselves in more privacy.

I'm not making predictions here. I'm simply sharing thoughts of possible changes I think might come during this shift that seems to be taking place today in the overall view of religion and it's effects in our society. I don't know if they'll happen. But I could see them as possibilities.

I know I don't judge anyone on their religious views. Id personally rather not even know anyone's views on religion. I'd rather judge people on their charecture. But it's sometimes hard to avoid when you see all the churches and their signs. When they come door to door and print on our money. It's influences are everywhere and I think that'll diminish someday. Not disappear but be less influential.

You pose some good thoughts but I would like to point out a few things.

First, religion seems to go in cycles from less religious to more religious. The United States is at one of its highest points in our history as far as religious believers and fundamentalists and this trend does not appear to be changing. I mean look at many of our political leaders…Biblical literalists are a strong force to day. I mean look at Bush, Palin, Perry, and Bachmann. Bachmann is the most baffling to me because being from Minnesota, we consider ourselves a pretty liberal state. Granted this is a problem with our political system but still she had enough support to get elected. Since the 50’s religiousness in the US has increased and has not gone down. I would argue the New Atheist movement is also a fundamentalist (or conservative, not sure of the proper term) religious movement. Religion is going strong and our science scores prove that…

I do not think churches will ever pay taxes. The government is not allowed to have “excessive” entanglements with religion. At the same time if you tax them I think you have to support them.

“In God We Trust” was just voted on again in the last 6 months and passed…

Evolution is taught in the classroom or rather it is supposed to be. Evolution MUST be taught in schools in Minnesota and I believe that is generally the case except for Kansas…they have a weird situation going on…The “controversy” will never come to terms until we can compare apples to oranges…

I think religion is already more of a private thing. It is just that small group of people that want to make it public.

Christianity will continue to be dived into sects. Sects typically do not merge together. It is possible their theological ideas become similar though, such as the acceptance of evolution.

This is just what history have shown me…

Christianity is still growing in the world, and I think a recent study showed that almost all Americans believe in God or a similar entity, so regardless of religiosity, spirituality is still universal in America and there's no sign of this changing anytime soon.

Christianity is still growing in the world, and I think a recent study showed that almost all Americans believe in God or a similar entity, so regardless of religiosity, spirituality is still universal in America and there's no sign of this changing anytime soon.

Atheists and agnostics make up 13-15% of the population so I suppose everyone else believes in some type of god.

Atheists and agnostics make up 13-15% of the population so I suppose everyone else believes in some type of god.

Gods aren't the only spiritual beings. A little over 90% of Americans believed in God, a universal spirit, or something similar, according to the study.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1690/religion.aspx

Here are some poll results from gallup.

in 2001 82% of people considered themselves Christians. 8% were "none."

in 2011 75% considered themselves Christians. 13% were "none." The number of non-believers is going up but what I find more interesting is the different Christian catagories. in 2001 only 4% were non-specified Christians compared to 10% in 2011. This all could show there is an increasing rate of non-believers but at the same time since 2006 non-believers has only gone up 1%.

Gods aren't the only spiritual beings. A little over 90% of Americans believed in God, a universal spirit, or something similar, according to the study.

I guess I should have have said "greater power" instead of "god?" The point is 13% do not believe in a higher power.

Well I guess in the gallup link I provided "none" can mean believes in a god?

OIC your link is page 2 to the link I put...I guess this just shows the problem poll data...

Edited by HuttonEtAl

Makes sense.

I don't think it's simply a matter of beleiving in God and about the good values transmitted by it.

It's all the rest.

Peace.

i'm sick of the self proclaimed 'rightness' of every single religion out there, not just christianity.

it's one thing to believe in a higher being/force/energy/god/what-have-you, but to assume that everyone else should feel the same way just gets on my damned nerves.

for the record, yes i do believe in god, and no i do not follow a religion.

Edited by JGirl

i'm sick of the self proclaimed 'rightness' of every single religion out there, not just christianity.

it's one thing to believe in a higher being/force/energy/god/what-have-you, but to assume that everyone else should feel the same way just gets on my damned nerves.

Wow kind of an off topic rant but I cannot say I disagree. The thing is no one wants to be told they are wrong. How would you feel if I told you that you were wrong? They believe what is obvious to them should be obvious to you, as incorrect as that may be...That's just how things work. Everyone has an opinion. That's what makes politics so messy.

I know when I was younger, I would meet friends parents, and many of them would ask, "what church do you go to?" never even thinking that you might not go at all and it was always kind of humiliating to give the answer because we did not go to church and they'd look at you like you had horns sprouting out of your head. A lot of people here in Texas assume everyone they meet must be a Christian. This show is so awesome, it is satire, but there's a lot of truth in it what I saw growing up and even still, especially friends' mothers acted like this, snobby and materialistic and look down their nose at people who weren't Christians.

I for one would be glad for it to be diminishing, I think it needs to be scaled back. There's some sense of entitlement of God's children that even if their ways don't promote equality, these are God's laws their pushing into law and they supersede man's laws no matter what cost, at whose expense. Like I said, I live in Texas, things are not that way in every state so much as here, but there are people here who just don't care if it's discriminatory, they are on the good team, God's team, so screw everyone else.

Edited by ChloeB

I think you may be right, at least for now it is a trend. I have noticed this as well. I feel different about this phenom though. I feel as things get worse people will seek more in the spiritual realm for answers. At least I hope so. Have a good day.

Matthew 24:9-14. Jesus said, “People will arrest you, persecute and kill you. All

nations will hate you because you follow Me. At that time, many people will stop

believing. They will betray and hate each other. Many false prophets will come

and fool people. Evil actions will increase. People will stop loving. But the

person who continues strong until the end is saved. This good news about God’s

kingdom will get preached to all the world. Then the end will happen.”

Edited by Robbie333

Wow kind of an off topic rant but I cannot say I disagree. The thing is no one wants to be told they are wrong. How would you feel if I told you that you were wrong? They believe what is obvious to them should be obvious to you, as incorrect as that may be...That's just how things work. Everyone has an opinion. That's what makes politics so messy.

They know good and well, they don't know and it's belief and have no idea if Jesus really existed or was God. It's like when you get the Jesus loves you, well how the hell do they know? They like to tell themselves that and pushing it on you is just pushing their own wishful thinking on someone else, that's all it is. Claiming they're "right" is sheer ignorance. They hope they're right, that's all any of them can say, EVER.

They know good and well, they don't know and it's belief and have no idea if Jesus really existed or was God. It's like when you get the Jesus loves you, well how the hell do they know? They like to tell themselves that and pushing it on you is just pushing their own wishful thinking on someone else, that's all it is. Claiming they're "right" is sheer ignorance. They hope they're right, that's all any of them can say, EVER.

You are not understanding how they think or how they feel. They know Jesus was the son of God and that Jesus loves them. They know this because of the Bible and because of their faith and who are you to tell them they are wrong?

You are not understanding how they think or how they feel. They know Jesus was the son of God and that Jesus loves them. They know this because of the Bible and because of their faith and who are you to tell them they are wrong?

How they feel, well if we indulged them all based on that, I guess we'd be humoring every person who believes they have alien implants, has been abducted, and any other thing that people "believe". Your statement that they "know" this because of their faith is a contradiction in what faith is, when you have faith in something, what does that mean to you? So someone telling me they are right and others are wrong based on faith is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by ChloeB

Forgive me because I'm on my phone right now and it takes more time to locate a particular post (I'm just waiting for a friend to show up at the bar I'm in now :) ). But one of you mentioned that they recently tried to pass to removale of "in god we trust" again but it didn't pass. But I feel the fact that it's even being discussed is evidence of this shift I was talking about. I mean I didn't even hear or read about this in the news. But I'm pretty sure if that was being considered 50 years ago or so it would have generated more media attention.

Another thing to consider when looking at the statistics of the religious population is that there are many that when asked will put a check next to the "Christian" really don't fallow any of the Christian religions. Most, in USA anyway, will simply select that as a way of saying "yes I believe in god". But that doesn't mean they consider themselves a part of any of the Christian sects. Still there are others that only select Christianity because it's for the most part viewed as "the right thing to be" in our culture. Society in general defines "I'm a Christian" as "I'm a good person". That's what many are really trying to convey when they make that statement. Even if they really aren't religious people. In other words they may have never gone to church, never prayed, never read the bibles. They still might put a check next to "Christian" when taking that poll.

Then there are those that are leaning toward not believing in god but either don't want anyone to know. Or are struggling to make themselves believe because they feel guilty for not believing in god when the society they live in for the most part says you have to believe in order to be viewed as a good person.

The point I'm trying to make us it's very hard to get an accurate statistic on our religious population.

The reasons I think it's becoming a little bit easier for more people to openly question religion is advances in technology such as we're using right now. It's easier for everyone to share their views. Right now I'm speaking to you all who are scattered around the globe from a chair in a bar. It's much easier for me to say "I don't believe in god" to the world from here then it would be to shout it out loud to the people here in the room with me now.

Another thing I think stems from this is countries like the UK where religion, I've read, is part of the government. Which in turn has caused more people there to be atheist. Before the Internet things like this weren't as easy to know about. We communicate with the entire world and learn our differences. We learn that different societies have different point of views and the reasons behind them. It makes sense that this will effect one of the most popular topics in the world. Religion.