Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Horror Remakes Discussion

RebelInsanity

Now, I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up in a previous post, but has anyone seen the trailer for the remake of Evil Dead? What about Carrie?

I'm not much of a fan for remakes, because most of them are total crap and are either shot for shot from the original, or are mixed with unoriginal ideas that everybody has seen.

But I am actually quite looking forward to these two remakes.

Evil Dead, in my opinion, looks brutal. And I know that there's a difference between true horror, and horror that splashes gore in your face for 2 hours straight, but this movie seems promising.

The trailer made me extremely uncomfortable and I like it. I love movies that can have that power over someone, and keep them wanting more.

Carrie, on the other hand, is a bit less than I expected. I know we are still at the first trailer for both, and I'm not saying it isn't good, but I think they could have done a bit more with the trailer. I will still watch it, and I hope it isn't a mistake like watching the TV remake that they came out with awhile back. But I have a feeling it will be a whole lot better than most remakes nowadays.

Evil Dead - Redband Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBXUyuv4Q0

Carrie Trailer

So, with my opinions on the new remake trailers out there, I have a question for you guys...

What horror movie remake was your favorite? What one(s) do you dislike the most?

I think most remakes lose it in the translation.

I think most remakes lose it in the translation.

I agree. Like beating a dead horse.

I am a die-hard fan of the Evil Dead Trilogy - and I have a nerd crush on Bruce Campbell. I do look forward to seeing the remake. I think since Bruce had a hand in it, it will be good. My hope for it is that it doesn't lose the humor aspect. That's what makes the first one - and the sequels so great! I doubt that it will surpass the original, but I hope it comes close. I'm also a fan of the original Carrie. I'm a little less sure about the remake after seeing the trailer, but I will still watch it. In terms of favorite remakes, I'd have to say that one of my favorites is Halloween. I know that it strayed from the original, but, that was Rob Zombie's vision (and I am of the opinion that every horror film he's done to date has been absolutely amazing). I didn't mind the differences in it, and at times, I liked the differences more. I have to say that the Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty awesome too. I wasn't disappointed with it at all. As for dislikes.. Hmmm.. Despite the fact that the Friday the 13th remake had Jared Padalecki in it (and I like him), I was displeased with the film as a whole. I found none of what appealed to me most in the first film. I absolutely HATED The Omen remake. It's a film like which begs the question, why bother remaking it? Same goes for The Amityville Horror. I watched the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead.. Now, that one... That paled in comparison, but it had some redeeming qualities - like the fact that Tony Todd was in it (big plus whenever I see him in a film) and Barbara wasn't just a whiny comatose victim. She got out there and kicked some butt! That was a major improvement over the original, but the feel of it wasn't quite as good. Sorry, lol I can go on and on about horror films. The horror film I'm most looking forward to seeing is the remake of Suspiria once they get it started (and finished). Curiosity alone deems it so. :)

I am a die-hard fan of the Evil Dead Trilogy - and I have a nerd crush on Bruce Campbell. I do look forward to seeing the remake. I think since Bruce had a hand in it, it will be good. My hope for it is that it doesn't lose the humor aspect. That's what makes the first one - and the sequels so great! I doubt that it will surpass the original, but I hope it comes close. I'm also a fan of the original Carrie. I'm a little less sure about the remake after seeing the trailer, but I will still watch it. In terms of favorite remakes, I'd have to say that one of my favorites is Halloween. I know that it strayed from the original, but, that was Rob Zombie's vision (and I am of the opinion that every horror film he's done to date has been absolutely amazing). I didn't mind the differences in it, and at times, I liked the differences more. I have to say that the Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty awesome too. I wasn't disappointed with it at all. As for dislikes.. Hmmm.. Despite the fact that the Friday the 13th remake had Jared Padalecki in it (and I like him), I was displeased with the film as a whole. I found none of what appealed to me most in the first film. I absolutely HATED The Omen remake. It's a film like which begs the question, why bother remaking it? Same goes for The Amityville Horror. I watched the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead.. Now, that one... That paled in comparison, but it had some redeeming qualities - like the fact that Tony Todd was in it (big plus whenever I see him in a film) and Barbara wasn't just a whiny comatose victim. She got out there and kicked some butt! That was a major improvement over the original, but the feel of it wasn't quite as good. Sorry, lol I can go on and on about horror films. The horror film I'm most looking forward to seeing is the remake of Suspiria once they get it started (and finished). Curiosity alone deems it so. :)

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235848

And Argento himself ,gave the Supiria remake his blessing . I don't see ow it can be redone ,with the true mood of the film captured.

Today's audiences just wouldn't get it .

• Like 1

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=235848

And Argento himself ,gave the Supiria remake his blessing . I don't see ow it can be redone ,with the true mood of the film captured.

Today's audiences just wouldn't get it .

Yep Simbi.. I agree. I am just so darned curious to see what they will do with it. I may throw popcorn at the screen throughout, but I just gotta see!! :D

• Like 1

Yep Simbi.. I agree. I am just so darned curious to see what they will do with it. I may throw popcorn at the screen throughout, but I just gotta see!! :D

I have an article somewhere....hold on .I know posted it on my FB

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/04/12/david-gordon-greens-remake-of-the-horror-classic-suspiria-going-forward/

The cast is ...I dunno

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034415/

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

Evil dead thread already exists .Carrie has been discussed

I didn't know. Apologies.

I absolutely agree. I am a die hard fan of Zombies' movies, and I really loved Halloween. His vision was great, and even though it had much controversy pertaining to Michael'd background, I can understand what he was getting at.

We see alot of people with screwed up backgrounds doing things like this, but at least he gave Michael a much needed back story instead of making him supernatural.

I hated The Omen as well, because that was one of the movies that were LITERALLY shot for shot to the original. I dont see the purpose of remaking it if they werent going to go anywhere different.

The only real remakes I enjoyed were Halloween, Halloween II, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, The Crazies, Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, Prom Night, House of Wax, The Last House on the Left (Which in my opinion was better than the original.), I Spit on Your Grave, and The Uninvited.

A long list, I know. And not all of them were their best, but they were pretty good and well worth the watch.

• Like 1

OH MY GOD ! YOUR AVI !

* rolling giggling*

• Like 1

I didn't know. Apologies.

It's ok. I posted it so you could check it out .The Carrie discussion is on a thread about something else though.I forget which one.

Consensus was ,we aren't too hopeful it will be good.

Not a fan of remakes, but no one forces me to watch them. I can still think the original is better. Have at it, I say, hopefully it'll teach Hollywood to, ya know, come up with NEW STUFF instead of rehashing the same ol'shizz.

I absolutely agree. I am a die hard fan of Zombies' movies, and I really loved Halloween. His vision was great, and even though it had much controversy pertaining to Michael'd background, I can understand what he was getting at.

We see alot of people with screwed up backgrounds doing things like this, but at least he gave Michael a much needed back story instead of making him supernatural.

I hated The Omen as well, because that was one of the movies that were LITERALLY shot for shot to the original. I dont see the purpose of remaking it if they werent going to go anywhere different.

The only real remakes I enjoyed were Halloween, Halloween II, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, The Crazies, Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, Prom Night, House of Wax, The Last House on the Left (Which in my opinion was better than the original.), I Spit on Your Grave, and The Uninvited.

A long list, I know. And not all of them were their best, but they were pretty good and well worth the watch.

The point of all these remakes is to pull fans of the originals - and the ones who have never seen the originals - in to get more money from them. Black Christmas was a pretty good remake. It has its good points. I didn't like the Nightmare on Elm Street. I was disturbed by the changes. To me, only Robert Englund can be Freddie. I grew up with those movies and watching Freddie's Nightmares. The Crazies was a pretty good remake, also. The Hills Have Eyes was not too bad. Prom Night, I liked, but I still prefer the original. House of Wax... Well, Jared Padalecki was in it, and that alone made it worth watching (I liked that remake with him in it much better than Friday the 13th, of course). Now, with Last House on the Left... I liked the original better. The remake was okay.. I think the original was just grittier and more disturbing to me. Some scenes in the original, I did have to turn my head, for the sheer brutality of it. But, overall, the way the storyline progressed was better, imo.

It's ok. I posted it so you could check it out .The Carrie discussion is on a thread about something else though.I forget which one.

Consensus was ,we aren't too hopeful it will be good.

I would still watch it, but because I want to see what they do with the story, and because a few actors I love are in there.

But other than that, there would be no real reason.

Although, I understand why they did it. After that last Carrie flunk, I'd want to remake it better too.

The point of all these remakes is to pull fans of the originals - and the ones who have never seen the originals - in to get more money from them. Black Christmas was a pretty good remake. It has its good points. I didn't like the Nightmare on Elm Street. I was disturbed by the changes. To me, only Robert Englund can be Freddie. I grew up with those movies and watching Freddie's Nightmares. The Crazies was a pretty good remake, also. The Hills Have Eyes was not too bad. Prom Night, I liked, but I still prefer the original. House of Wax... Well, Jared Padalecki was in it, and that alone made it worth watching (I liked that remake with him in it much better than Friday the 13th, of course). Now, with Last House on the Left... I liked the original better. The remake was okay.. I think the original was just grittier and more disturbing to me. Some scenes in the original, I did have to turn my head, for the sheer brutality of it. But, overall, the way the storyline progressed was better, imo.

I completely agree. Englund rocks as Freddy.

The only reason why I didn't like the original Last House was the quality. The camera work was okay, but so many things were blurry and hard to see. I understand it was the early 70's, but it looked like crap compared to the other movies in that time. I understand it was probably the budget, and it was Wes' first film, so that's the only reason I enjoyed it. The story was good, and I know what you mean by having to look away in some parts. But have you ever watched something you thought was so cool at first, then several years later you watch it again and you ask yourself why you liked it in the first place?

That was my reaction.

But the one thing that will make me love that original, despite everything I dislike, was the fact that, for publicity, Wes tried to pull it off as an actual snuff film. xD

• Like 1

I completely agree. Englund rocks as Freddy.

The only reason why I didn't like the original Last House was the quality. The camera work was okay, but so many things were blurry and hard to see. I understand it was the early 70's, but it looked like crap compared to the other movies in that time. I understand it was probably the budget, and it was Wes' first film, so that's the only reason I enjoyed it. The story was good, and I know what you mean by having to look away in some parts. But have you ever watched something you thought was so cool at first, then several years later you watch it again and you ask yourself why you liked it in the first place?

That was my reaction.

But the one thing that will make me love that original, despite everything I dislike, was the fact that, for publicity, Wes tried to pull it off as an actual snuff film. xD

Wes is just a bloody GENIUS! Side note: I wonder how different the film Flowers in the Attic would've been had he not been involved. The book dealt with dark subject matter, sure, but the movie was so much darker. And the original Last House film.. I think it's the quality that makes it so good to me.. I get what you are saying about watching something later and changing your mind totally about it.

One reason I think they make an abudant amount of remakes is because most people dont want to chance spending a ton of money on something new and original, because It could go either way with the amount of money they would get back. So I think its safer in there minds to do the tried and true slasher movies everytime because thats something that draws the younger crowds in. I havent seen a remake so far that surpasses the original horror movie, although when I did see the remake of the Last House on The Left, this guy in a couple of seats back from me was laughing his ass off during the graphic murder scenes and he was laughing soooo hard that it made me laugh to. But as far as remakes I liked I would say Rob Zombies Halloween. Funny thing When he called up Carpentar and told him he was going to remake it, Carpentar said Well have fun with it

I thought Craven wasn't involved in Flowers in the Attic? His script was rejected and he didn't direct.

Yeah Producers were disturbed by his approach to the incest-laden story, however, and Jeffrey Bloom ended up with writing and directing duties.

I thought Craven wasn't involved in Flowers in the Attic? His script was rejected and he didn't direct.

I stand corrected. :) It has been years since I've seen it. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I remembered something about his involvement somewhere along the line... Could be the onset of CRS. :)

*Edited for spelling error

Edited by ImaLoner

Wes is just a bloody GENIUS! Side note: I wonder how different the film Flowers in the Attic would've been had he not been involved. The book dealt with dark subject matter, sure, but the movie was so much darker. And the original Last House film.. I think it's the quality that makes it so good to me.. I get what you are saying about watching something later and changing your mind totally about it.

Wes is definitely a genius. After I heard that he tried to pull it off as a snuff film, I had so much respect for him. He is definitely one of my favorite directors.

Edited by little.wolf96
  • Like 1

One reason I think they make an abudant amount of remakes is because most people dont want to chance spending a ton of money on something new and original, because It could go either way with the amount of money they would get back. So I think its safer in there minds to do the tried and true slasher movies everytime because thats something that draws the younger crowds in. I havent seen a remake so far that surpasses the original horror movie, although when I did see the remake of the Last House on The Left, this guy in a couple of seats back from me was laughing his ass off during the graphic murder scenes and he was laughing soooo hard that it made me laugh to. But as far as remakes I liked I would say Rob Zombies Halloween. Funny thing When he called up Carpentar and told him he was going to remake it, Carpentar said Well have fun with it

I love Zombie's revision. Although, I have grown a tad bit tired seeing Sheri Moon as the lead in every single movie of his now.

I think that the only reason why they make remakes is the fear that new material won't catch on, and that older films will be forgotten. So it might be a mix of that, and the fact that they want more of an income.