Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranormal or just nuts? Cats see things we don't

pappagooch

user posted imageHave you ever seen your cat staring across the room, deeply intent on watching something when you know that there is nothing there? The fascinated feline slinks softly off the arm of your chair, eases around behind your legs while never once removing its eyes from the nothingness that seems to attract it like iron filings to a magnet. You can place both hands in front of the cat's face and it merely slides its head sideways, intent only on watching that now almost palpable emptiness. You can move it to another room and the instant you release it, it is back to the door and carefully easing around the corner as if expecting attack from any direction. I recently experienced such an occurrence with the cat of a friend. She was a young Siamese and was sitting in my lap as I was reading a book. I was just turning a page when I realized the cat had moved off my lap and under my arm and was staring -- no, glaring -- into a corner on the opposite side of the room. Thinking that maybe she'd seen a mouse or a spider, I tried to see if I could find it. I even got up and moved to the corner and examined every square inch of space. Nothing.

But when I was back in my chair, I discovered that the cat had moved to the floor and was flat on her belly, her tail flick-flicking its "I see a bird" beat, her back feet making bread on the rug as she dug in and prepared to charge. But she never moved. It was as if she had become frozen in time. An ivory sculpture forever posed in the beginning of a leap. And then I heard it. A high-pitched chattering sound, like frightened teeth at the midnight creak of a haunted house. And the back of my neck and all across my shoulders got prickly, and I felt a surge of adrenaline through my body. The sound was from the cat. Her bottom jaw trembling frantically as if she were staring at a flock of birds through the kitchen window. And she was staring hard into that opposite, and empty, corner of the room. I got up again and went once more to the corner. As I moved past the cat, she mewed plaintively, as if she were trying to tell me something. But look as I might, I could find nothing there.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: ContraCosta Times

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nethius

• jimma

• Nxt2Hvn

• zygon

Have you ever seen your cat staring across the room, deeply intent on watching something when you know that there is nothing there?

All the time..... Sometimes I am sitting there and my "Peep Squeak" will be staring at the ceiling ... and I start staring at the ceiling .. and then my hubby will walk in and say "what are you looking at?" ... and I say... "Whatever Peep Squeak is looking at"!! .. But of course .. there is nothing there! laugh.giftongue.gif

must admit that my cat quite often glares over my right shoulder. It freaks me out if no one else is in and i have to go out of the room

My cat does this often (yesterday as a matter of fact). I don't know what he is looking at....My home is about 65 years old and I know of 4 people that died (suddenly) IN the house and 1 that passed away in a hospital after living there for many years.

Although I've never seen anything that I'd call evidence of any kind of haunting, I do keep an open mind. thumbsup.gif

::Braedan51 thumbup.gif ::

yes cats are a little coo coo like that

i've noticed my cats do that from time to time... often i will see a little speck of dirt or something on the wall where they look, but other times, i just think they're crazy! haha!

Being at cat owner, sometimes I would just say they are crazy. Other times, I don't know. *scratches chin in curiosity*

Oh yeah, and is it just me, or does that cat in the picture look really p-oed?

Cats are always looking at me...like " AHHHHH, Godzilla!!!" and then they run away!!!

Moocher when she does that she looks like she's gonna attack a bird or something I don't find it creepy it's kinda cool I wish I could see what's she saw or sees! original.gif

Happy Holidays! original.gif

My cat used to chase imaginary(?) bugs clicking at them the whole time. Funny but strange to watch.

on a side note:

My cousin used to have a cat, Sabu, that would get mad if you flipped him off. something about a persons middle finger just made hime angry, as though he knew what it meant. Tail lashing, he would pounce on the offending hand from several feet away. He was a 15-20 pound kitty, all lean muscle and huge claws-some type of siamese/mau mix.

My cousin used to have a cat, Sabu, that would get mad if you flipped him off.

grin2.gifgrin2.gifgrin2.gif HAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! grin2.gifgrin2.gifgrin2.gif

That is soo Funny!!!!!!!!

I'd be flipping him off all the time!!!

My cat seems to stare at random things in the room every now and then too . Oddly enough , I seem to sense something is their as well.

Maybe cats are psychic .. dontgetit.gifwink2.gif

I have no doubt that cats (and other animals for that matter) can 'see' things we cannot. After recently moving into my new apartment, my feline friend Abigail

seems to be interested in something I cannot see, yet I've felt.

I've heard and watched tv shows where not only cats can see things but dogs as well. Able to see things or know things we can't possibly know.

I've had a number of cats as pets, but i've never really sat down and noticed these things. Or maybe i have and may not have paid as much attention as i should have, but i'll remember this once i get a cat or a dog.

I have a dog named Roxy,and she is a really dumb dog.If you whisper in her ear"where is it"she'll run around the house looking for something then finally settle on a corner in the living room and look at it for ages.My dog is off its head.

Animals have a deeper bond with the world around them than humans. Think about it, they're more innocent and open-minded and not corrupted by politics or ignorance. However, they do get scared more easily because they're uneducated about most things. I can believe it, Naveed.

It may not be something they can see, but rather what they can smell. Cats have an extra sensory organ on the roof of their mouth, kind of like a "taste-smell" sense. (Stupid me forgot the name of it) You may notice a cat using this by partially opening its mouth and taking in great whiffs of air, usually when you have touched another animal or have an unfamiliar scent on you. Perhaps it is a distinct scent odour that has caught the cat's attention. cat.gif

yeah, ive noticed that with both cats and dogs. we have 4 cats and one dog and the dog always manages to freak me out, especially when im on my own in the house, she'll suddenly get up from slleping and stare out of the kichen window or into the living room and just stare, sometimes she gets excited and wags her tail and starts running around, other times she runs upto me trembling and leans on me. really wierd stuff. my cats always stare at things that aren't there, but then again, they sit against the radiator staring at it, i think all our animals are mad, but then again so am i, so you cant expect much better from them lol