Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirits, Wendigos, and Previous Lives?

Landon Pool

Well first I mightest well introduce myself. My name is Landon Paul. I seen a number of strange things in my life. Such as cryptids, paranormal experiences, even some sleep paralysis. But anyways back to the topic at hand. I have been recently contemplating my past (after seeing that Butterfly Effect movie). And came upon a few things. One of which was the Legend of the Wendigo. A mysterious, evil creature or entity said to roam North America. It orginated from indian folklore and was also contributed to Bigfoot and Werewolves. Supposedly they have the ability to change their form. But now back to what I was saying.

When I was a kid I think about the age of 6. I was over at my grandmothers house, and so I was just snooping around nothing to do. I see a crystal ball, and I stared into it. (Don't know why..) I literally blacked out, totally and completely. I don't remember what happened after I looked into it. But I just remember these still images. I remember a boat.. wooden.. and these people jumping off. And there was this thing.. a beast of somesort, pretty much resembling a werewolf but not so wolf life. Anyways, it was on this boat and attacking people. These people were jumping off into the water and what not. They were attacking it with oars. They instantly reminded me of the French. Anyways now go forward a bit more.

A few years later, my grandmother told me this story of the Wendigo. How this creature roamed the woods, picking off kids and what not. So I said did they ever catch it or kill it? And well, I don't remember what she said. But then again I do remember some images for some reason. I can actually remember.. being there.. in the woods. There were a few people, and we had this thing in a cage made out of wood. I remember it moving and growling and seeing this red glowing eyes, and I remember saying get the rope! Except, I wasn't saying it in English, I was saying it in Mi'kmaq. My native language for that matter. Which I thought I had all forgotten a few years ago. So anyways thats about it. I never thought much about it. Now once again fast forward.

My grandmother had a picture of herself taken. So were all just like yeah, nice picture. Then I notice something. You see there was a fireplace in this picture, so I began to stare at that fire. And I saw this face, of some sorta creature. It resembled a panther, bear and a wolf combinded. Anyways, I felt uneasy about that picture ever since and still do. Now what does this all mean? I mean I honestly saw this thing before I was even told about it. It's really strange.

My friend was actually telling me about some story with France how this beast was set loose up there and they never knew what it was. So I'm not to sure what this. As for myself, I used to have dreams well nightmares really where I was getting attacked by these wolf like creatures. But they pretty much stopped after I put up some dreamcatchers. Now what the hell is the Wendigo? Is it some sort of family curse? A demon? A monster? I don't know. I do know I've had a few weird experiences with an Ouija board for that matter too. You see we are all sitting there going turn off the tv, turn off the tv or whatever. So their like.. Landon go ahead and try. I was told never to touch these things, but it was Friday so what the hell. I touch it and say turn off the tv, and whata ya know. The lights begin to flicker off and on, and then the lights in the room go out. And yeah it got pretty cold. I later got sick that night too, a flu or something. Of course before I even went to that house, I was feeling better than I usually do, high in energy sort of speak. And after I left I felt well like crap, and sick.

So anyways, what I really wanted to know is if you guys know anything about this.

Anything about Wendigos.. or possibly have some pictures? And yeah I remember when we were kids.. we were told.. never go to far into the woods. Anyways that's about all I got to say. And yeah I know it sounds crazee. But well it's the best I can say or get out.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• crosswarrior

• Landon Pool

• doink

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY!! Someone else who mensions the Wendigo!

Trust me hon.. it is FAR more feirce then picking off kids.

It's is a spirit formed when one commits cannabalism... it is colder the winter's grasp...

Deer and human combind...

It has haunted my thoughts for a while...

Agh yeah. But the thing is.. I can remember seeing it.. except I was never really there. It's like maybe in a past life, I did something to this Wendigo. Or my family did? It's really been messing with my head lately. Something I never pointed out was that me and my brother were able to see it, while my mother was unable to see it in the picture. My brother is schizophrenic. So I don't know. Of course I've seen tonnes of weird things I can't explain. So I came here. Hoping someone can help with these answers. I'd love to see some pics of a Wendigo.

But yeah, its really weird. I feel like I was there.. but.. I wasn't? Errr..

Another theory I have going is that, I have some sorta high energy Im radiating thats making spirits more attractable to me or something. Cause I was also seeing orbs going around my room. Well two orbs, one through ceiling, one through wall. Also seen some shadows at the corner of my eye. And well, my old computer was supposedly possessed. Which was basically, when my grandmother died, my mother was trying to write a poem for her funeral. So anyways, she's drunk and passed out, computer's on. I go to bed. I wake up, and see a poem on the computer, just one window open, and one poem. It was signed -Dad. And well it was referring to her mother, so well it woulda been my grandfather. It was basically saying how they love us etc. How well my grandmother was the best at what she did. But yeah. I gotta get some sleep.

Sadly, all or basicaly most.. pictures I've seen... are either from the movie, Werewold: Appocolyps (FU Whitewolf!!) or Marvel's use of the being as a mutant badguy in thier comic. Heck, even some guy named his sailing boat after it, even EverQuest was going to have some off wolf like beast named Wendigo.. but... I never seen it (yes I play the game, hush ;P)

I had done a drawing of it once... I'm not satisfied with it... and I know I'll draw it again.

user posted image

*Grins* Kinda like that one...

ohmy.gif wow thats so intreging, sorry i dont have anything good to say as ive never heard of that before but i had to say something rolleyes.gif

ohmy.gif wow thats so intreging, sorry i dont have anything good to say as ive never heard of that before but i had to say something rolleyes.gif

It's a Native American legend... and the Wendigo is very feared among the tribes that know about him. It's like the Mongolian Death Worm's name. Speaking it's name is like bad luck...

From what I've been told, and read... It's not a single being per say...

What is is, is a spirit of pure evil, that is formed when a human resorts to cannabalism. Story link!

According to the lore, the Wendigo is created whenever a human resorts to cannibalism to survive. In years past, such a practice was possible, although still rare, as many of the tribes and settlers in the region were cut off by the bitter snows and ice of the north woods. Unfortunately, eating another person to survive was sometimes resorted to and thus, the legend of the Wendigo was created.

Nother link!

And the Fort Kent account

OK I am now offically freaked out!!! It seems to me that every region has their monsters that resemble werewolves, or vampires. There are far too many such stories for there not to be some truth in them. The amount of truth though is what is frightening; because we don't know. If it is just a little, perhapes a freak animal; then we are relitively safe. But if the legends are true to their form then we have a serious problem.

well if they are true, perhaps someday you will meet the real Jade.

thumbsup.gif

OK I am now offically freaked out!!! It seems to me that every region has their monsters that resemble werewolves, or vampires. There are far too many such stories for there not to be some truth in them. The amount of truth though is what is frightening; because we don't know. If it is just a little, perhapes a freak animal; then we are relitively safe. But if the legends are true to their form then we have a serious problem.

*evil grins and flicks her tail*

hehe ok ok seriously...

Ever since prehistoric times, humans has had a facination with the aspect of a human/animal hybrid of such...

So, it's a common occurance that every culture would have such monsters.

Much like how every culture develouped the use of bows and arrows..

Ok maybe that's not a good example, but none the less, that's kinda curious...

well if they are true, perhaps someday you will meet the real Jade.

thumbsup.gif

JA!!! I am ready for them!!! I have my SKS... 3 Shotguns, And many big pistols. SEE I will load them all with silver; baptised in Holy Water. "Hasta La Vista Vampies!!!!" thumbsup.gif

Silver is so good but hurts so much crying.gif

From what I've been told, and read... It's not a single being per say...

What is is, is a spirit of pure evil, that is formed when a human resorts to cannabalism. Story link!

According to the lore, the Wendigo is created whenever a human resorts to cannibalism to survive. In years past, such a practice was possible, although still rare, as many of the tribes and settlers in the region were cut off by the bitter snows and ice of the north woods. Unfortunately, eating another person to survive was sometimes resorted to and thus, the legend of the Wendigo was created.

Nother link!

And the Fort Kent account

Interesting links. I was always puzzled by why people thought the Wendigo was bad.

Locally (Oregon,) Wendigo is version of Bigfoot who is only seen when something bad is about to happen.

The Nez Pierce Indians saw him just before they decided to run for Canada under Chief Joseph. *

The Wendigo was seen just before the Whitman Mission Massacare. I'm not aware of any more recent tales of the Wendigo per say except for one that happened during the 1940's.

Give you a bit of back ground, Mt. Hood is probally one of the most famous mountains here. A Widow (who was only 30-40 years old,) lived on the mountain. At the time she would have been a good 50 miles from any cities. The nearest "town" would still be 15 miles away. The roads were still dirt in the day, and about as rural and wild as you can get.

She was walking in the woods gathering mushrooms to sell to tourists who were traveling up to the Mountain go sking when she saw a "large bear like creature with red glowing eyes." Keep in mind that this area is pretty much considered the Big Foot hotspot on the West Coast, something like 100 sighting a year within a 50 mile radius.

A few days later she was visited by two escaped convicts who convinced her to hide them from the law. They treated her roughly, but apparently not to bad as she fell in love with one of them. His partner became jealous and after 6 months he went away. The lovers in the meantime went walking and again saw the red glowing eyes. They ran home to find the other guy had come back. He shot and killed the woman, then was wrestled to the ground and shot himself. The first guy turned himself in and told the local papers what he had seen.

The ironic part, is that the cabin she lived in is now haunted by two spirits, a mean male one who knocks things around, "spies," on women in the house, plays tricks, etc. And female one who sits quitely by the fire, sometimes knitting.

Rick

* The Nez Pierce Indians also have a story of a "long think monster" that rose out of Lake Wallowa (also known as Nessie's Summer Home,) and ate a chief's son who was crossing the lake in his canoe to woo the chief's daughter of the tribe across the lake. Both tribes had been at war for some time, and contrary to what you would believe, the tribes banded together to attempt to kill the monster to get rid of the bad omen. They suspended deer carcass' over the lake in an attempt to lure it in. Eventually the Chief's daughter took a canoe out into the lake, where she was promptly swallowed whole. But both tribes took the oppurtunity to attack and either severely wound or kill it since it wasn't seen again for a long time. (The english translation says hundreds of years.)

They're seen as bad because what borns them. It's like a warning against cannabalism...

One instence I remember is that, a Wendigo will come up on you like a blizard, confusing you, further making you lost in the wild of the woods it calls home, slowly making you lose your mind. Like.. you'll feel watched... every shadow moves against you... footsteps but no one is there... then, when your sanity is completely gone, it strikes, consuming you...

But, the Wendigo's story changes from tribe to tribe. Some tribes, it's a big hary beast.. bear/human or wolf/human... even deer/human...

Other tribes describe it as a Zombie like creature, skinny, rotten flesh, and bared teeth as it eats it's own lips. This particular tribe has a way to fend off the Wendigo, by having a woman who is on her menstruation period stand outside the village in the Wendigo's path. The Wendigo for some reason cannot stand the smell of a woman's menstrual blood and will walk back from where it came.

It is important to remember that there are different types of Wendigo because some, such as the Sasquatch, are not evil. Different tribes have different stories and beliefs, but sometimes stories have been shared and someone might think that one creature is another.

Were-creatures have a place in many tribes, the evil ones could be classified as a Wendigo. These incidents happen today in modern times.

I will PM you the personal details about your experience and what you can do about it if that is OK with you.