Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

USA’s Bloodiest Battlefield Becomes Magnet

Still Waters

If ghosts exist anywhere in the United States, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, is perhaps the right place to look for them.

The rolling green hills where the armies of the Union and Confederacy clashed still seem haunted by the more than 50,000 soldiers who were killed, wounded or went missing in the Battle of Gettysburg.

http://www.voanews.c...rs/1788834.html

• Like 1

I remember watching a documentary regarding the ghosts at Gettysburg. One chilling story told of several union re-enactors eating lunch when a man walks up, asks them how things are going where they are fighting, hands the man several bullets, and walks off and disappears. Live ammo had been banned from the site for like 80 years or so. When the re-enactors had the bullets analyzed, they were actual bullets used in the battle.

Chilling!

• Like 5

I remember watching a documentary regarding the ghosts at Gettysburg. One chilling story told of several union re-enactors eating lunch when a man walks up, asks them how things are going where they are fighting, hands the man several bullets, and walks off and disappears. Live ammo had been banned from the site for like 80 years or so. When the re-enactors had the bullets analyzed, they were actual bullets used in the battle.

Chilling!

So a crazy guy walks up in normal clothes, joked around and then gave bullets (Note: No details on the man or the bullets).

So a crazy guy walks up in normal clothes, joked around and then gave bullets (Note: No details on the man or the bullets).

First, from a temporal standpoint, they were in an open field and the witnesses say that he handed the bullets over to the men, walkedpast them, when they turned around probably not 5 seconds later, he was gone. Second, obviously you do not use live ammo at a re-enactment so when he handed the bullets over to them and those bullets were analyzed, they were indeed real and from the time period of the civil war. The man appeared to them and his clothes were dirty and ragged. It looked like he hadn't showered in several days. I dunno. People lie but it was interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Thelaw1
  • Like 2

I'm not saying it is true or not. Just what I saw on TV. I have no proof either way, just going by what they said. Problem with ghost stories inherently is the inability to prove that the paranormal exists. You post videos of alleged ghost sightings and immediately people say it's fake.

• Like 1

Demonic spirit's/Fallen Angel's likely have the God-given right to dwell on the battlefield due to all of the bloodshed that went on there.

Maybe America's most haunted location.

Demonic spirit's/Fallen Angel's likely have the God-given right to dwell on the battlefield due to all of the bloodshed that went on there.

...Why would they have this right now?

I hear and read a hell of a lot about folks experiencing what seems like legit activity on these battle sites, it is fascinating. I know there is a lot of hysteria around publicity for the tours and whatnot alongside that, it's down to your own thoughts whether you believe the possibility of lingering energy. I haven't come across much about the D-Day sites along northern France, which is odd considering how 'fresh' it would be. I know the civil war is a lot more popular than the allied landings for tourism but it's still peculiar. War is certainly a huge freaking magnet for myriad negative emotion and events, the sites I believe are almost nuclear poisoned, many imprints will remain beyond our comprehension.

• Like 3

My baby sister has a little hobby farm with her boyfriend in Gettysburg. She says a lot of people talk about the freaky stuff that happens there. They've haven't experienced anything themselves though a they live right by the site of one of the skirmishs.

• Like 1

It's funny, I'm a Ghost nut and have lived in PA my entire life, yet I have never been to Gettysburg... lol

It's on my "2 do" list. Along with a trip to The Big Easy, and Savanna GA..

Edited by Midyin

I'm not saying it is true or not. Just what I saw on TV. I have no proof either way, just going by what they said. Problem with ghost stories inherently is the inability to prove that the paranormal exists. You post videos of alleged ghost sightings and immediately people say it's fake.

Yes, Then you get people like me who will explain HOW it is fake, post examples to show it can be reproduced.

...Why would they have this right now?

They've most likely had it since the 'Battle of Gettysburg'. It all goes back to the courts in Heaven. A demonic spirit can only haunt a location if it has the consent to be there. Same thing with people and possession: Playing with a legitimate Ouija board, or practicing the occult and black magic is enough to give unclean spirit's the right to your life.

They attach to the soul-body and flesh, which is where our sin lies.

Don Dickerman's books "When Pigs Move In" and "Keep The Pigs Out" are great for learning about demons and how they gain consent to our lives.

Its puzzled me for years.The Western Front has no ghost activity considering how many men and animals gave up there lives.Only reported was from WW1 troops who heard and saw Henry's troops coming home apparently which would likely be down to battle fatigue.Odd considering how many died over there.Makes you think ghosts are a mental or physical thing and not a real event. ;)

They said its haunted because of the lime stone that's under ground they said lime stone makes a place haunted

Chilling!

Why would live ammo have been banned from the site only 80 years ago?

Gettysburg is beautiful and one of my favorite places to go. I've heard and read a whole lot about the battle and the experiences people had there, including the re-enactors mentioned above. From tourists to Gettysburg College students to Park Rangers, many have their stories to tell. Posted a lot in threads here in UM about this subject. I never saw anything but so many have, I don't think they're all crazy.

Why would live ammo have been banned from the site only 80 years ago?

Well I think the policy was enacted across the board 80 years ago, not just for Gettysburg. All I know is, from the "story", they just said that live ammo was banned 80 years earlier. There was no backstory to that alleged fact.

Here's the rules for the reenactment that will take place at Gettysburg in July of 2014. Live ammo is strictly forbidden. Doesn't say how long ago it was banned but it is in most historical recreations.

http://www.gettysburgreenactment.com/reenactors/safety/

The rules also forbid anyone under the age of 13 to participate. Terrible that during the actual battle, there were young boys that age present.

Edited by susieice

i went to gettysburg once, when i was a younger. it's a beautiful site, and if you can get away from the crowds, pretty haunting (in a non ghost way)

i really wanted to see a ghost at that time, but, alas, no such luck. in fact, i've never seen a single ghost, in spite of my best efforts. that year we went to gettysburg, antietam, manassas, and a few other battle sites, and nothing. i loved ghost stories back then. i still do, in a way, but more for the sake of what they say about living people than anything else.

i still find the civil war fascinating though.

Chilling!

Had the bullets been fired or were they unused?
  • Like 1

They've most likely had it since the 'Battle of Gettysburg'. It all goes back to the courts in Heaven. A demonic spirit can only haunt a location if it has the consent to be there. Same thing with people and possession: Playing with a legitimate Ouija board, or practicing the occult and black magic is enough to give unclean spirit's the right to your life.

What makes a ouija board legitimate?

Were the boards sold back in the day as toys legit or did they need a priest or demonologist to bless them or what?

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 1

They said its haunted because of the lime stone that's under ground they said lime stone makes a place haunted

Millions of years old sedimentary rock made from the skeletons and shells of marine organisms makes a place haunted?

Wut?

• Like 1

If I remember right?The supposed ghost soldier gave one Minnie Ball (conical lead bullet), and a powder charge (premeasured gun powder wrapped in paper) to the reanactor.This was on the show Unsolved Mysteries hosted by Rober Stack.Among other tales it related the "Phantom Regiment".A group of foreign officials visited the park grounds, and witnessed a platoon doing drills in one of the fields.The officials later thanked the Park Ranger at the front office for the show, but nothing was scheduled for that day (important permision is needed for such activity.)

Lime Stone for a haunting is silly to me, but it's believed that the physical enviroment acts as a sort of tape recorder.A site being haunted does not need special stone, or permission from whatever to be haunted imho.

man, if limestone is what it takes to be haunted we're all in trouble. that stuff is all over the place. there's probably a couple thousand ancient marine organism ghosts watching me right now.