Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia’s brutal early winter

Ashotep

A bitter cold spell in Russia has claimed 123 lives in the past 10 days, an official said Tuesday, with the unseasonably early freeze testing authorities in a country used to notoriously tough winters.

Temperatures have plunged to up to minus 30 degrees Celsius (minus 34 degrees Farenheit) in the Moscow region and up to minus 60 degrees Celsius (minus 51 degrees Farenheit) in Eastern Siberia.

Russia’s brutal early winter claims 123 lives

I don't see how they stand it. Just a threat of a blizzard or extreme cold sends shivers up my spine.

I experienced 25 below zero F once when I was in Chicago. I'm a southern man and I'll NEVER forget that cold...brrrrrrrrrrrrr. The 3rd day there I went outside to scrape ice from a windshield and it felt warm....passed a thermometer and it was 13 degrees....

13 degrees in south Alabama is like a winter apocalypse !!

• Like 1

i get hot when its above zero. i guess thats how we roll in Alaska. :tu:

• Like 1

If you are use to a cold climate being in a warmer one would be rough. There was these people that lived high in the mountains, can't remember where in Asia, but they were forced to move to the lowlands with the heat and humidity, most of them died.

Quit often in this valley I live in it can get below zero but when the sun comes up and the air starts stirring it warms up pretty fast.

im originally from the south NC - SC area. I had the opportunity to move to AK, and I did not waste any time. i prefer the colder climate

• Like 2

Rainy and Chilly here. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

I like cool weather myself but not when icicle's are hanging off my nose.

• Like 2

Wow, minus 60 in Siberia. I can't even count that far back.

This is not so unusual in northern and eastern areas of Siberia. All the big cities are strung along trans Siberian railroad in western and southern Siberia. Temperatures there are normally -25