Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gandalf's Staff?

Loonboy

[blue]

I have watched 'The Lord Of The Rings' both at the cinema and on DVD and I just noticed that there seems to be a continuity problem (call me picky).

Do not read the rest of this post if you don't want to know what happens in LOTR!

Gandalf is imprisoned by Saruman (no comment Gareth) after a battle in which Saruman takes Gandalf's staff and uses it against him. Gandalf then escapes by cadging a lift with an eagle.

Later he trolls off back to Rivendell and then on to Moria, where he does battle with the Balrog saying "You shall not PASS!!" while bashing his staff on the bridge.

How did he get his staff back?

[/blue] :s9

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loonboy

• Ronin6th

• Saru

• Halo_Jones

[ More possible spoilers in this post - don't read it if you haven't seen LOTR yet ]

Loonboy,

Now that you mention it I can recall thinking that after seeing the film as well. He clearly loses his staff when he encounters Saruman at Isenguard, but seems to have it again when he's sitting next to Frodo's bed in Rivendell.

Maybe he borrowed another one from the elves.  ;D

Hehe...

Now that you took my attention on this fact...yeah you're right, how did he get it back? :sk

By the way guys...who's your favorite character? For me it's Aragorn!!!

Loonboy,

Used it to hold the front door open - Isenguard can get quite warm in the summer time.  :s02

Ronin,

I'm tempted to say Saruman, but I'd probably have to say Gandalf.

:su

[blue]

For me the best character in Lord Of The Rings is:

Tom Bombadill

who unfortunately does not make it into the film. For those who have not read the tale, he appears somewhere after the Buckleberry Ferry and before the Watchtower.

[/blue]

:s04

I never noticed the Staff thing untill now, as I just got swept away by the sceanery and fantastic effects. :D

:sk :sk My fav is Legolas :s7(I have a thing for pointy ears)

Halo:

You've chosen Legolas? Hmmm it's not astonishing after all, 'cause all the girls in my class had a crush on his pointy ears!   :sp

Saruman:

Yeah Gandalf is really an engaging character. My girlfriend cried when he fell against Balrog!

I'm going to start the book in the days to come, I know that many things are different to the movie...

Yeap come to think of it after watching it for the umpteenth time, I did wonder about that ??? Suraman was very greedy having two.........<as LB said no comments> :s2

Fav Characters....... I can't choose but I do have a rather large soft spot for Elves and Rangers, having played a few in D&D.

Wow I watched at the trailer of "The Lord of The Rings: the Two Towers" and it looks as amazing as the first one...

...Can't wait for it!

LB,

I seem to have stumbled onto the answer to your continuity problem quite by accident. This comes from the movie mistakes web site;

"When Gandalf battles the evil wizard, Gandalf's staff is taken from him and he is therefore defeated. Gandalf is placed atop a large column until rescued by the giant bird. Once united with Frodo again, however, Gandalf's staff is by his side. [Gandalf doesn't regain his staff, he has two different staffs. The branches on the tip of the first one are almost straight and there's a spot for his pipe to fit. On the second one the branches on the tip are bent to one side. Both can be seen in pre-release pictures.]

Here's a link to the page, it lists over 130 mistakes viewers have discovered in the film, including a scene with Frodo walking through the corn field and a car can be seen in the distance!  :o

CLICK HERE

Magikman  :sf

[blue]Mystery solved.

I must admit I was getting close to solving it myself. I noticed that the end of the second staff was different and that it had a crystal in it, whereas the first one was more gnarled.

[/blue] :s02